The 2012 Schedule And Whatnot

Now that we've got the 2011 schedule squared away, isn't it time to start the process of 2012 Schedule Theories?

I see on some "future schedule" website that we have only two out of conference games scheduled so far for 2012, so we need a couple of home games to go with them:

Sept. 1: @ LSU

Sept. 15: @ Kansas State

I don't think I'm pulling a rabbit out of the hat when I say those will be tough games. Although, I fully expect former Big 12 coach Dan McCarney to be ready to face Kansas State again in a very exacting manner...although, he was only 2-10 against the Wildcats during that tenure. It's fair to say that Kansas State was at their football zenith at the same time McCarney was lifting the Iowa State program from its perpetual gridiron ash heap.

But, anyway, on with the grousing and guessing...

My suggestion is that we consider schools who also don't have a full slate of out of conference games listed for 2012. See how that works? They don't have enough. We don't have enough. Let's get together and have enough of each other on the field of football battle? See?

So, here are those teams who also appear to need 2012 games and whatnot. And, particularly, I list school which appear to have their fill of 2012 out of conference home games, but seems to be lacking in road games. I've not included Big 12 schools who already have contracts at Jerry World, because you can't sell the 'DFW/Texas' exposure angle to them:

Tulsa

Texas State

Fresno State

Washington State

UTEP

UNLV

Utah

TCU

Virginia

North Carolina

Mississippi State

Southern Miss

Nebraska

Missouri

Kentucky

Oregon State

Memphis

Colorado

California

Kansas

Arizona State

Boise State

Iowa State

Central Michigan

Baylor

Akron

I'd really try to sell continued exposure in Texas to Colorado and Nebraska. Yeah, it's a lot less of a reality with Nebraska because they're nationwide anyway. But, they won't have their feet on the ground in Texas at all anymore unless they are the Big Ten rep in the Alamo Bowl.

Sell it to Nebraska as a homecoming game for Rex Burkhead...and Anthony "Cedar Hill" Blue, Nick "Keller" Ash, Jesse "Guyer" Coffey, Jason "Lake Highlands" Dann, Ciante "Arlington Seguin" Evans, Seth "Southlake" Jameson, Murat "Plano" Kuzu, Courtney and Steven "South Garland" Osborne, Kody "Stephenville" Spano, Jamal "Arlington Sam Houston" Turner, Donovan "Arlington Bowie" Vestal, and Josh "Ryan" Williams.

I'd also like to see the programs who we "aspire" to be in here, little guys who have built it: Fresno, Boise, and/or Utah.

The "off-brands" of the BCS conferences I think are occasionally ripe as well. Look, Michigan State went to FAU. Kansas State was here last year. I don't think it's harebrained to put in a call the ADs at Kentucky, Iowa State, Mississippi State, North Carolina and the like.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Of course I have my favorites, but as long as the other two OOC games in 2012 are at home, I won't be complaining.

2013 we will be good: @Georgia, Ball State, Ohio, Army

But in 2014, hopefully RV can shift some things around to get us to 6 home games. Right now 2014 is: @Texas, SMU, @Army, @Tulsa. I'm not sure if there is any wiggle room in that. Tulsa is scheduled to come to Denton in 2015. It would really be a downer though to only have 5 home games.

• Upvote 1

Forgot about that and if I'm not mistaken we are scheduled to play at Tennessee. Hopefully we can drop one of those away games

That sounds familiar to me as well, but I cannot find it anywhere. It appears that Tennessee plays UNC, NC-State, and Troy in 2012. Hopefully they or us drop the game. 6 home games really needs to be where the bar is set from here on out.

• Upvote 1

I could see us playing Iowa State on a regular basis thanks to Coach Mac. Don't easily discount some of the soft-place-in-the-heart connections in college football, like UNT and Kansas State. Yeah we did a Home and Home with them but if it weren't for UNT being the only team that Bill Snyder beat when he took over at K-State in '89, they probably wouldn't have agreed to the deal. K-State beating UNT was their turnaround, and they didn't forget that. They gave us a huge "Thank You, we remember you" by being our last opponent at Fouts and sending it out to pasture with a hell of a game. (We also have Chico to thank for that, but that is for a different thread).

• Downvote 1

I could see us playing Iowa State on a regular basis thanks to Coach Mac. Don't easily discount some of the soft-place-in-the-heart connections in college football, like UNT and Kansas State. Yeah we did a Home and Home with them but if it weren't for UNT being the only team that Bill Snyder beat when he took over at K-State in '89, they probably wouldn't have agreed to the deal. K-State beating UNT was their turnaround, and they didn't forget that. They gave us a huge "Thank You, we remember you" by being our last opponent at Fouts and sending it out to pasture with a hell of a game. (We also have Chico to thank for that, but that is for a different thread).

This does not change your point (which is a good one), but K-State was a 2 for 1.

2008 - Manhattan, KS

2010 - Denton, TX

2012 - Manhattan, KS

Of course I have my favorites, but as long as the other two OOC games in 2012 are at home, I won't be complaining.

But in 2014, hopefully RV can shift some things around to get us to 6 home games. Right now 2014 is: @Texas, SMU, @Army, @Tulsa. I'm not sure if there is any wiggle room in that. Tulsa is scheduled to come to Denton in 2015. It would really be a downer though to only have 5 home games.

At some point in time USA comes into the league and we will have only 3 OOC games. Not sure when but maybe 2014.

At some point in time USA comes into the league and we will have only 3 OOC games. Not sure when but maybe 2014.

George...not sure if the league's finalized it's decision on this yet: But it has been mentioned that the SBC will stay with every team just playing 8 conference games, once USA comes on board. Every year, there would be one team that a school wouldn't play. (I'm sure they would alternate the teams.). Anyway, that's the last I had heard...was that they would keep it at 8 conference games....mainly to allow our schools to have four OOC (read $$$) games. One other advantage to playing 8.....4 home and 4 away SBC games....instead of a 5/4 imbalance.

• Upvote 1

George...not sure if the league's finalized it's decision on this yet: But it has been mentioned that the SBC will stay with every team just playing 8 conference games, once USA comes on board. Every year, there would be one team that a school wouldn't play. (I'm sure they would alternate the teams.). Anyway, that's the last I had heard...was that they would keep it at 8 conference games....mainly to allow our schools to have four OOC (read $$$) games. One other advantage to playing 8.....4 home and 4 away SBC games....instead of a 5/4 imbalance.

Yeah, I just read that elsewhere. Apparently this is not a final decision but if our scheduling is an indication, that is the way the conf is leaning.

are all four away games?

• 2 weeks later...

TXST 2012 OOC is full.

Texas State has these OOC games for 2012

Houston 9/1/2012 Away

Texas Tech 9/8/2012 Home

Nevada 9/29/2012 Home

New Mexico 10/4/2012 Away

Navy 11/15/2012 Away

Seriously dude, we don't care. Just like we don't care about the Bobcat Stadium updates that one of the TSU fans posts on our stadium forum.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

What I find hard to grasp is how we treat some guests here. He isn't coming into the room and stating that TSUSM has a better schedule than us....or a better program. He is merely mentioning that they have a full schedule in 2012. Honestly....I didn't realize that they get both Nevada and Tech as home games in 2012 and that...my friends....is impressive. If any of us had posted that information then it would have been talked about rather than asking the poster "Who cares?". Now don't get me wrong...if someone from UTSA comes in here then let em have it but we shouldn't be so quick to rail on TSUSM fans unless they are trash talking in our forum.

What I find hard to grasp is how we treat some guests here. He isn't coming into the room and stating that TSUSM has a better schedule than us....or a better program. He is merely mentioning that they have a full schedule in 2012. Honestly....I didn't realize that they get both Nevada and Tech as home games in 2012 and that...my friends....is impressive. If any of us had posted that information then it would have been talked about rather than asking the poster "Who cares?". Now don't get me wrong...if someone from UTSA comes in here then let em have it but we shouldn't be so quick to rail on TSUSM fans unless they are trash talking in our forum.

With all due respect, I think it is pretty obvious what his intentions were. Yes, they have a good schedule, but I fail to see any reason to go and post it on someone elses board unless for the purpose of subtle gloating. I think you are being a little too quick to differentiate between UTSA and TSUSM. The only difference is that the TSUSM fans are a tad more realistic and more intelligent than UTSA fans, plus, at least TSU has played football before.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe you should hop over to their site and post the Mean Green schedule. Even if you post it without comment, you probably won't get a warm reception.

• Upvote 1

I find it funny how we're ripping another schools poster for posting on our site when we have a whole boatload of people here who do the same exact thing. Also, i find it ironic how we hate it when people call us NTSU, but then we turn around and do the same thing to other schools...

• Upvote 3

Excellent offseason discussion!

I would imagine that we would be honoring our contracts by returning to Houston and Indiana sometime soon (assuming that those were 1 for 1's)...

Not sure if Tulsa is in the cards - We complete a 2 for 2 series this year that started in 2005 (in Denton), we returned the game in 2006 up there, hosted them again in 2008, and will return the final game in 2011. I have not read anything about a renewal but would be 100% in favor of keeping that series going.

I remember reading that NT and Army signed a long term deal similar to the SMU series. We played up there last so maybe we will have them back in Denton sooner than later.

USA will play 2 FBS teams this year and a bunch of FCS teams like Lamar (UTSA?)... but one of their fans posted on the Belt Board that they will play 5 Sun Belt games in 2012 as the first year of transition (guessing close teams like MTSU, WKY, TROY, etc..). In 2013, they will play a full conference slate to complete the move up to FBS and I believe that in 2014 they will be eligible to go to a bowl game.

What does TSU-SM's schedule have to do with NT's?

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that the gentleman was responding to the very first post of the thread. TXST@SM was listed as the second school right after Tulsa. The guy is just letting us know that they already have a schedule in place...

• Upvote 6