Unt Launching "branding Initiative"

UNTflyer

They should hire my PR guy in Tampico... Don Fernando Martin Salazar de Arrazco y Galindo of the firm Grupo Advertencia del Norte, SA. He's been great in getting me exposure from San Luis to Reynosa. And I know he'd like to move north due to some extracurricular activities involvong some character calling himself "El Piolin."

But whoever takes the job, at least UNT appears to be looking for some outside help that may have some fresh ideas.

• Upvote 1

But they are still a need by fans, but most importantly, a "want" by NT customers.

Rick

We "need" to have a chant? No, there are some that "want" a chant. We don't "need" a chant in order to win/enjoy the game.

"Need" and "want" are two very different things.

For instance, you need air and water to survive. You want that air to not smell foul and you want to drink something other than water when you are eating a meal.

• Upvote 1

Nothing promotes and markets your university better than winning!

All these millions will be wasted as usual finding out what people want to see and hear but I'm willing to bet we still won't get three things we all have wanted for years that would cost the university very little at all.

1. A damn good collegiate helmet logo.

2. A signaled, unified chant that has a beginning and an end that does not require the band to be present to do.

3. And have the jersey number of our All Time Leading Scorer in Basketball, Kenny Lyons, retired.

Rick

The only one of the three above that have anything to do with branding is the first one.

We "need" to have a chant? No, there are some that "want" a chant. We don't "need" a chant in order to win/enjoy the game.

"Need" and "want" are two very different things.

For instance, you need air and water to survive. You want that air to not smell foul and you want to drink something other than water when you are eating a meal.

You sound like a person who has rarely traveled to out of town games at neutral sites and had to sit with a good contingent of NT fans watching the "OTHER" teams' fans embarrassingly shout us out of the building?

How about hearing the K State fans do it to us in our own house last year or the Houston Cougar fans do it to us in the Super Pit a few years ago? Fan freaking tastic that was I tell ya!

But hey, let's keep that pathetic fade away, we-put-this-together-out-in-the-parking-lot-this-afternoon thing going we currently have. It really inspires the masses to show their spirit, usually once everyone realizes it about the 4th time and just before it starts to fade into a mumble the 5th.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

You sound like a person who has rarely traveled to out of town games at neutral sites and had to sit with a good contingent of NT fans watching the "OTHER" teams' fans embarrassingly shout us out of the building?

How about hearing the K State fans do it to us in our own house last year or the Houston Cougar fans do it to us in the Super Pit a few years ago? Fan freaking tastic that was I tell ya!

But hey, let's keep that pathetic fade away, we-put-this-together-out-in-the-parking-lot-this-afternoon thing going we currently have. It really inspires the masses to show their spirit, usually once everyone realizes it about the 4th time and just before it starts to fade into a mumble the 5th.

Rick

So, to recap, you want an outside agency to come in, write us a cheer and then cascade it through the alums, students and fan base? Or is this just more of a general therapy session?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

Why do you need to recap? Got an opinion just type it out.

By the way, are you applying to be my therapist?

Rick

OK, your reading comprehension on what this - and isn't - is not very good. Nothing against any of your ideas, I just think you're yelling at the Chevy plant guys because your Ford broke down. Does this makes us enemies?

Is this your unofficial RFP for therapy? Where do I bid?

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

OK, your reading comprehension on what this - and isn't - is not very good. Nothing against any of your ideas, I just think your yelling at the Chevy plant guys because your Ford broke down. Does this makes us enemies?

Is this your unofficial RFP for therapy? Where do I bid?

My reading comprehension is just fine and I know what this is, it's a waste of money, and my point is, we need the things I suggested(and I'm sure there are a multitude of other things others could come up with like i did) before the university spends another cent towards anything to do with "Branding".

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Rick

I've been to plenty of big program games (Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Arkansas). The only one I distinctly remembering having a chant is Arkansas.

Show me where having a chant helps the team win? All that chant does is give the fan base something to do when we score a touchdown or field goal. It sounds really cool but it's not needed.

Finally, developing a chant is not the responsibility of a Marketing/PR firm. Something like that is the school's responsibility. All the Marketing/PR firms might do is tell us we need one.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My guess is the best chants are started by the fans: at first a small, loyal and well coordinated effort that is persistent.

If we're winning, and the surrounding fans can catch on and have a good time with it, it will become a mainstay. Word of mouth takes care of the rest.

Perennially losing and having small crowds really is the chant killjoy.

• Upvote 5

I've been to plenty of big program games (Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Arkansas). The only one I distinctly remembering having a chant is Arkansas.

Show me where having a chant helps the team win? All that chant does is give the fan base something to do when we score a touchdown or field goal. It sounds really cool but it's not needed.

Finally, developing a chant is not the responsibility of a Marketing/PR firm. Something like that is the school's responsibility. All the Marketing/PR firms might do is tell us we need one.

See my post to Q above. Didn't mean for the Branding firm to do it, just that we don't need the branding firm, period.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

See my post to Q above. Didn't mean for the Branding firm to do it, just that we don't need the branding firm, period.

Rick

If you'd take your green tinted glasses off for a moment you'd realize that the marketing message the university is putting forth is not very good.

With the additional attention the new stadium is bound to draw now is a good time to reorganize the message we are putting out there for the general public to consume unless you are okay with the "we-put-this-together-out-in-the-parking-lot-this-afternoon thing going we currently have."

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seems some of our own don't have much respect for UNT either. Nothing is ever good...everything is always bad and somehow they don't get any respect. Maybe the branding campaign will do more good "at home" than anywhere else.

One of the challenges that UNT and its fan base is facing right now is change. While the change seems to definitely be for the better, it is change none the less. Some folks have a harder time adjusting to change than others. No crime there. You can see it in small towns (Denton is just coming out of this itself) when change starts to happen and all the folks who thought they were in control and whose influence may have been bigger than it should have been start losing that influence as new ideas, new people and just sheer numbers of people start to show up. Happens with lots of organizations, lots of towns and lots of universities. UNT is doing what it can and for the most part what it should to become a championship athletic program across the board and a Tier One University from the academic side. Some people will have a difficult time with this if they don't see the bigger picture and realize it is what they have been saying they want all along. I get it, it's hard...harder for some than others. If you are the type of person who wants UNT to be the same old UNT they have come to know, well, maybe that will cause a problem. But, change is coming and so far as I can tell it is very positive change. I feel better about MY university overall than I have in a long time. It is great to be part of the Mean Green Nation right now,and it should get even better. The train has left the station and has left the "old" attitudes and past grievances behind. Will there be bumps along the way? Absolutely, but complaining about everything one doesn't like, or think they have a better answer for, or who seem to think they were "dissed" for one reason or another will not help. What will help is to keep a positive attitude through this period of transition, to offer thoughtful and respectful opinions, to volunteer time and talent, to buy season tickets and to actually attend games and to donate whatever one can to support the program.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My guess is the best chants are started by the fans: at first a small, loyal and well coordinated effort that is persistent.

FFR - What ever happened to the chant you organized a couple years ago:

Another thought, every time UNT scores a touchdown we could chant "Odufu-who, Odufu-wa" and watch the question marks appear above the opposing fans' heads.

• Upvote 1

If you'd take your green tinted glasses off for a moment you'd realize that the marketing message the university is putting forth is not very good.

With the additional attention the new stadium is bound to draw now is a good time to reorganize the message we are putting out there for the general public to consume unless you are okay with the "we-put-this-together-out-in-the-parking-lot-this-afternoon thing going we currently have."

No, I think we could definitely improve the message, I just don't have a lot of faith considering our track record, plus it's going to be a lot of money at a money crunching time. Consider that, and Goodken can correct me one this, but NT spent $200k last time? That will be nothing this go round.

A large portion of this money will go towards promoting the new stadium. Nothing will promote it better than winning.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Seems some of our own don't have much respect for UNT either. Nothing is ever good...everything is always bad and somehow they don't get any.

I tell you what, after the Bullshit one individual here tried to pull last Saturday night I KNOW I have more respect for North Texas and it's history, for it's accomplishments and mostly for it's lettermens' accomplishments than this individual ever had.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

No, I think we could definitely improve the message, I just don't have a lot of faith considering our track record, plus it's going to be a lot of money at a money crunching time. Consider that, and Goodken can correct me one this, but NT spent $200k last time? That will be nothing this go round.

A large portion of this money will go towards promoting the new stadium. Nothing will promote it better than winning.

Rick

The whole point of bringing a 3rd party in for something this is to inject fresh ideas. Saying we could improve upon the marketing message and then saying "we don't need no stinkin' PR firm" to do it looks to me like the definition of insanity.

The RFP mentions a lot more than just football -- like our goal of achieving Tier 1 status. I'm sure there are a lot more things in the RFP that were skimmed over.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The whole point of bringing a 3rd party in for something this is to inject fresh ideas. Saying we could improve upon the marketing message and then saying "we don't need no stinkin' PR firm" to do it looks to me like the definition of insanity.

The RFP mentions a lot more than just football -- like our goal of achieving Tier 1 status. I'm sure there are a lot more things in the RFP that were skimmed over.

We have gone the third party route before, but I may be insane because I'm here arguing about it all over again.

But hey, as long as we have extra money laying around....?

Rick

Keep winning and we'll achieve tier 1 status. A chant would help.

• Upvote 1

We have gone the third party route before, but I may be insane because I'm here arguing about it all over again.

But hey, as long as we have extra money laying around....?

Rick

The first RFP that was written to come up with the logos, color, and marketing plan was for one company in mind and I believe only that one company was ever considered in the bidding process. We got what we deserved since we didn't go out and look for the best company at the best possible price. The persons that were responsible for that mess should be called out for their short sightedness but let's not punish future projects for that project's mistakes.

So instead we should rely on a small group within the university that may not have the know-how to properly and adequately come up with a new (and better) marketing plan for North Texas when the first one has been mediocre at best? We are setting ourselves up for another failure if you feel that is the best course to go on.

I think we would actually waste more money through implementing another poorly thought out and executed marketing plan if we don't go out and get help from a 3rd party to come up with a better message. That's why they threw the RFP out there in the first place. Even if the bid is for the same amount ($200,000), we'll spend many more times the amount of the bid in implementing the new marketing plan.

• Downvote 1

Some of you are totally on the ball. It's basically getting UNT representatives out into the area to get involved in their communities so that way, UNT becomes the college of choice for our nearby surrounding areas, then DFW, then Texas, then the US. It's hard to say "we're the University of North Texas" when a high percentage of DFW area college students end up going someplace else. It's not really about sports (though that helps, but because winning isn't always a sure thing), it's about making UNT a household name for the area, then the state.

And for those of you who apparently live your life as a series of TL;DR based actions, you should probably stop.

Also, this is a really poorly termed RFP. It is branding in that branding is a combo of an image and name and then experiences and impressions of the name and image, but it's more branding in the experiences associated with that name. To clarify - it's not branding as in "let's make a picture" and more about, "let's make UNT a household name."

Too bad some of you don't get that. Pepsi does. Nike does. Nintendo does. Chevrolet does.