Fau

NM Green

So I am working on a project in Fort Lauderdale and decided to scoot up to see what FAU was like. It was a Friday so students were everywhere, but I also wanted to see where their new stadium was going to be. It is literally across the street from their business school on the loop drive of the campus. It is as close to on campus as SMU's is. Our mecca is much further along. I assume they don't open theirs this year otherwise they are going to have to crank. But I was impressed with how this school which people could barely give me directions to is on the rise. While looking for their bookstore I noticed a tailgate emerging outside their baseball stadium. By the time I left their tailgate with DJ in the parking lot, frat brothers sitting on top of a bus...was in full swing. I thought for a baseball game, pretty cool.

School spirit looks way behind what RV and the fans have had a chance to build over the past decade. I don't see a ton of FAU gear like you see Mean Green gear in Denton. So we have them beat there, but I think I want to travel and see a game out here in their new digs in 2012. More importantly we must stay ahead of them in the arms race. I saw their big traveling truck with the big 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions logo on it. I teared up:( Sorry I digressed. We must stay ahead of them or they will be a beautiful fit for CUSA expansion. For all the flack FIU and FAU have taken from the national media and fans in the past, both of those Miami/FLL area teams have been bowling and won bowl games in the past few years.

The drought must end. Mean Green football must rise up beginning this fall.

GMG

P.S. - their bookstore bit. Talk about a lack of gear and accessories. Now the University of Miami was another story. Next stop FIU.

• Upvote 3

So I am working on a project in Fort Lauderdale and decided to scoot up to see what FAU was like. It was a Friday so students were everywhere, but I also wanted to see where their new stadium was going to be. It is literally across the street from their business school on the loop drive of the campus. It is as close to on campus as SMU's is. Our mecca is much further along. I assume they don't open theirs this year otherwise they are going to have to crank. But I was impressed with how this school which people could barely give me directions to is on the rise. While looking for their bookstore I noticed a tailgate emerging outside their baseball stadium. By the time I left their tailgate with DJ in the parking lot, frat brothers sitting on top of a bus...was in full swing. I thought for a baseball game, pretty cool.

School spirit looks way behind what RV and the fans have had a chance to build over the past decade. I don't see a ton of FAU gear like you see Mean Green gear in Denton. So we have them beat there, but I think I want to travel and see a game out here in their new digs in 2012. More importantly we must stay ahead of them in the arms race. I saw their big traveling truck with the big 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions logo on it. I teared up:( Sorry I digressed. We must stay ahead of them or they will be a beautiful fit for CUSA expansion. For all the flack FIU and FAU have taken from the national media and fans in the past, both of those Miami/FLL area teams have been bowling and won bowl games in the past few years.

GMG

P.S. - their bookstore bit. Talk about a lack of gear and accessories. Now the University of Miami was another story. Next stop FIU.

i have been to 2 games in past 4 years at their soccer field stadium. basically fau is a commuter school who is trying to develope a campus life.

• Upvote 1

GMG

Thanks for stopping by our campus. I also like to go around and look at college campuses when I travel. It's a good way to kill some time.

Anyway, our stadium will be ready by mid October. We open with 4 straight road games. Our campus is currently undergoing a transformation of sorts. New dorms are going up and the football stadium is the centerpiece of the project. The goal is to transform us from a commuter school to a traditional college campus a la UCF a few years back. The results have been pretty good so far. When I was in school in the early 2000's, we'd get a few hundred people at a basketball game on a good night. Now we are consistently getting 1500-2500 every game. Students actually care about the programs now(which is a pleasant change!). It should only get better once the stadium opens. Please come back for a game sometime!

Edited by fauowls44
  • Upvote 1

No need to twist my arm. A stay and play weekend in Fort Lauderdale with a trip to Calle Ocho for some Cuban food and some Mean Green football? It's like a return trip waiting to be planned.

I was impressed with FAU and again I know that a lot of Mean Green fans cannot escape our league fast enough (I would like an MWC invite myself), but I like programs that work hard and are trying like heck to bust onto the national scene. I think after our 4 bowl appearances earlier this decade the wealth was spread around. Seeing Troy, FAU, FIU and Middle all win bowl games is good for the league. Seeing Arkie State get there was fantastic too. Throw in emerging facilities and we definitely have a lot more than some programs I am familiar with that have been around for a long time. Once we begin breaking into the top 25 in football and basketball our league is going to be good and get the respect it deserves. We have an image problem that can only be overcome by winning (see my Dallas Mavericks). UNLV is thinking about a new stadium complex and trying to figure out how to pay for it. Meanwhile new palaces are going up in Denton, Miami and at FAU.

You must invest, recruit, pull the upset and replenish. Those three ingredients = Boise State, TCU...Troy has gotten close but no cigar.

Someone is going to break through and I am placing my money on Green.

Good luck in Hot Springs until we play you.

GMG

• Upvote 1