Spring enrollment grows 4.6 percent, setting another new record

Harry

It will be interesting to see enrollment figures next year if the legislature eliminates state aid to first-year students.

Is it possible that this could have a positive effect on UNT? Here's why, if they pull funding I would think that students would have to take into account tuition, lodging and travel costs. In that vein UNT should be quite competitive. I wonder if schools like Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will still be able to offer in state tuition to students in North Texas? I guess I am of the opinion that budget cuts and a tough economy would benefit UNT more than other public universities?

I guess I am of the opinion that budget cuts and a tough economy would benefit UNT more than other public universities?

I hope you're right. This year most Texas public universities have posted enrollment gains. If you can't find a job, you may as well go to school. Those are the students who can least afford to enroll sans grants and loans. Maybe that will make UNT more competitive or maybe not. We'll see. The smart money is saying that all Texas universities will suffer for the next two years. Let's hope that UNT weathers this idiocy better than the schools we compete with.

• Upvote 1

UTA and TS@SM both have programs for UT- Austin wannabes that if they make a certain GPA they can transfer to the real UT. This has greatly helped both these schools but not because the wannabes are interested in either of the feeder schools. It's just because it's the only way they can qualify to get into UT where they wanted to go in the first place. That is why post grad programs at both are so much lees populated at either of the feeder schools--everybody leaves once they reach the GPA needed to transfer to the mother ship. :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1

Harry, that stat cannot be right.

Students now are forced to pay an athletic fee. That is going to severely damage the university. School costs enough as it is. They are not going to come to UNT now that they have to pay that athletic fee.

If having to pay an athletic fee, just like all other schools have had for ages, is going to keep somebody from attending UNT, do we really want them here anyway?

• Upvote 2

Maybe the athletic fee will give students a sense of ownership in the football program.

How did we slip in enrollment from 36,000 +/= and now we are just over 34,000 and it is called an increase? Does this not include graduate students? Or is this some kind of weird UNT Dallas problem

Maybe the athletic fee will give students a sense of ownership in the football program.

How did we slip in enrollment from 36,000 +/= and now we are just over 34,000 and it is called an increase? Does this not include graduate students? Or is this some kind of weird UNT Dallas problem

I believe that Fall enrollment is always higher than spring enrollment. The increase was from last spring semester to this spring semester.

I didn't know that. So if we have 34K in spring and 36K in fall enrollments for undergrad only, do you happen to know our total enrollement? I didn't realize the enrollment count was undergrad only.

I could be wrong, but last I remember was over 37K. Could be that this is total, the article was not very clear.

These numbers are TOTAL enrollment. 36K in Fall 2010, 34K in Spring 2011. We were closer to 37K in Fall 2009 because we had not yet removed UNT-Dallas numbers (which started being counted separately in Fall 2010).

Our enrollment has been increasing about 4% over the previous year as compared semester to semester (the 4.6% for spring is compared to last spring).

Edited by 3XNTGRAD