Students Living On Campus - Texas Schools

MeanGreen61

1. That number is deceiving because another couple thousand at least live within a mile of campus in student apartments.

2. There must be something missing from that number, because I am about 99% sure our number is at least 6500. I'm going to try and find where I saw that number...

EDIT: My count of the actual dorm numbers comes out to just around the number reported. Weird. For what it's worth, they are planning to build some new dorms in the near future as demand grows...

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1

Houston is planning to build or is already in the process of for ~3000 beds and they'd have the third most beds on-campus in the state only behind #1 Texas A&M, #2 UT Austin). :shocking:

That'll also put UH ahead of current #3 Texas State, #4 Texas Tech, and #5 North Texas.

Looks like the only large commuter schools left in Texas are UT Arlington, UT Dallas, and UT San Antonio all with ~4,000 beds, or almost half the size of of UT Austin.

The current number for Houston, as of right now as I type this is 6400. I have only driven by the campus, but it does not look like the sort of set up we have where the campus is pretty much surrounded by large student apartment complexes. If I get some free time I will call around, and try to add it up, but there are 6 enormous student complexes within about a mile of campus, with 2 more being planned (although the Fry Street development is technically not a student-only complex).

I assume the tie in to football is about attendance, and what is the "population" to draw from. My guess from 4 years of meeting people and talking about where they live (I'm in Real Estate) is that a little more than half of the undergraduate population lives in Denton or in the immediate area (not with their parents). Graduate students are a different story, although I am a graduate student and still live in Denton. :D

If you look closely............UNT has a higher % of students living on campus than UT. (#of undergrads from gov't site 2009)

UT 35,107 undergrads, 7927 on campus = 22.58%

UNT 21,298 undergrads, 5702 on campus = 26.77%

The UNT fall 2009 undergraduate enrollment was actuallly 28,548.

UNT Website

EDIT: changed to specify that the number was for undergraduate enrollment.

Pains me to say it, but a big difference is how engaged the off-campus population is. If most of UNT's off-campus population drives in from Plano or lives in Denton but never steps foot on campus except for classes and graduation, then the perception of UNT as a commuter school will continue to persist. Say what you will, but a far greater number of UT's off-campus folks are actively engaged in the UT culture.

The simplest way to change that is to have a rallying point that a large proportion of the student body can come together and build school spirit. As we have all said on numerous occasions, the most direct method of doing that is to promote and achieve athletic success.

Problem is about 4,500 of the 5,700 go home every weekend.

I really think you have a misconception here as the weekend exodus ebbs and flows with the time of year and the campus weekend activities. Those drives home decrease as the undergrads move up in class. I witnessed this first hand as we all did as students, but it was really driven home to me when I taught as a grad assistant at Oklahoma State. The first semester freshmen seemed to always go home as there were "boyfriends and girlfriends" and just lots of friends still at home. But as they moved up to sophomores and beyond that exodus seemed to reduce greatly.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Pains me to say it, but a big difference is how engaged the off-campus population is. If most of UNT's off-campus population drives in from Plano or lives in Denton but never steps foot on campus except for classes and graduation, then the perception of UNT as a commuter school will continue to persist. Say what you will, but a far greater number of UT's off-campus folks are actively engaged in the UT culture.

The simplest way to change that is to have a rallying point that a large proportion of the student body can come together and build school spirit. As we have all said on numerous occasions, the most direct method of doing that is to promote and achieve athletic success.

I'd also like to add that a lot of UNT students feel that there aren't good places to "hang out" before and after class on campus, at least this was the feeling I got when I went there (graduated last year). Hopefully a new student union building will address that.

Problem is about 4,500 of the 5,700 go home every weekend.

Or they're working to keep from racking up a lot of debt. I don't have numbers to back it up, but I always got the feeling that UNT students came from more middle/working class families and rely on loans and scholarships, rather than those who might have mom and dad paying a good portion like UT or A&M.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Or they're working to keep from racking up a lot of debt. I don't have numbers to back it up, but I always got the feeling that UNT students came from more middle/working class families and rely on loans and scholarships, rather than those who might have mom and dad paying a good portion like UT or A&M.

Where do you get your info on this? What makes you think or feel that things are any different at UT and TX A&M? I think you may be surprised at the percentage of students at UNT that do get family support. UNT is not the "poor kid" campus that many seem to want to make it out to be. That is a stereotype as old and as wrong as the commuter campus thing!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Where do you get your info on this?

The 5 years that I attended UNT.

What makes you think or feel that things are any different at UT and TX A&M?

The people who I've met in my life that have attended such schools.

I think you may be surprised at the percentage of students at UNT that do get family support. UNT is not the "poor kid" campus that many seem to want to make it out to be. That is a stereotype as old and as wrong as the commuter campus thing!

I never said poor kid, I said more likely to come from Euless or East Plano or Garland rather than Highland Park or Southlake.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I really think you have a misconception here as the weekend exodus ebbs and flows with the time of year and the campus weekend activities. Those drives home decrease as the undergrads move up in class. I witnessed this first hand as we all did as students, but it was really driven home to me when I taught as a grad assistant at Oklahoma State. The first semester freshmen seemed to always go home as there were "boyfriends and girlfriends" and just lots of friends still at home. But as they moved up to sophomores and beyond that exodus seemed to reduce greatly.

Were you one of the one's going home often?

I'm sorry...I just can't see how staying on campus during the weekend vs. going home each weekend can keep a student out of debt. Are you going to say the cost of a meal plan for those 2 days??? Price difference is minimal and doesn't back up your comment.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm sorry...I just can't see how staying on campus during the weekend vs. going home each weekend can keep a student out of debt. Are you going to say the cost of a meal plan for those 2 days??? Price difference is minimal and doesn't back up your comment.

That's not what I said, pal. I said they're pulling 8 hour shifts on Saturdays because their parents can't send a $500 a month allowance for beer and gas.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Yeah, this is a reasonable assumption. But, i disagree. I don't think this is the case for the vast majority of students. I know of some that it is the case... but, not most.

• Upvote 1