Expanded Sunbelt And New Bowl Game In Sa

I can't support adding UTSA or Texas State to the Sun Belt. We didn't move up to the FBS level to lay the groundwork for a new Southland Conference. I would be willing to see the Belt expand, but only if it will finally destroy the WAC and end teams like UTSA and Texas State from moving up. If Belt expansion were to happen, I'd be willing to add New Mexico State and maybe Idaho again.

No UTSA, Texas State, or LA Tech.

If you think keeping UTSA and Texas State out of the Sun Belt and trying to end the WAC, is similar to what other teams do to North Texas, well maybe it is. But, I'm not going to apologize for looking out for the best interest of UNT.

North Texas currently has a lead on both UTSA and Texas State, but not a big lead. If the WAC folds and they have no conference to move up to, then they might have to stay in the FCS. That would buy us more time to get our program producing winning seasons, increased attendance, and reduce competiton for recruits in our heavily recruited state.

We don't need UTSA or Texas State in the Sun Belt.

I agree. Shut those schools out. And yes there probably are others saying 'shut North Texas out'. The interesting thing is that maybe academic rankings hold back the athletic program. As of last year in the US News NT was in the lowest tier of 'National Universities'. This is something that would factor into conference affiliation. I haven't looked yet to see where some of our would-be brethren stack up.

Once again, if those options are not available then an expanded Sunbelt is more desirable than a very weak new WAC. Don't knock the new SB. The SB will challenge CUSA in the future.

FIU is on the rise, FAU will improve with the news stadium and increased budgets, MTSU has proven itself as has Troy, ULaLA made a greta coaching hire and recruiting has drmatically improved. UNT and Tx St made solid hires. With UTSA in a FBS league, recruiting will improve dramatically under Coker. Ga St had a solid first year.

Seriously? :lol:

Was justed informed about the possibility of a 14 team Sunbelt being discussed with a new bowl game in San Antonio against a CUSA or MWC team, in addition to a new bowl game in Atlanta most likely against a CUSA team.

Sunbelt FB would be as follows:

West Division

UTSA

UNT

Tx St

LaTech

ULaLa

ULM

Ark St

East Division

Troy

MTSU

So Ala

FIU

FAU

Ga State

WKU

Looks more and more as if the WAC is dead, esp if USU and SJSU depart for the MWC. Pending a CUSA or MWC invite, this would appear to be the better choice over what ever WAC Benson manages to salvage.

Travel costs would be less than the new WAC and attendance should be stronger with local teams. Plus the Sunbelt will be in the major TV markets of DFW, SA and So Texas, Atlanta and Miami/Fort La. which equates to stronger revenue.

The NCAA won't certify a new bowl game unless one of the current bowls loses its certification. That's why the Los Angeles-based Christmas Bowl and the Orlando-based Cure Bowl were denied certification for the 2010 season. There isn't a higher demand for more bowl games at this time, and last I checked, there's not a bowl game scheduled to lose certification though there's beliefs that the Humanitarian Bowl could end by 2014.

Edited by TennesseeBoyintheRockies

Informed by whom? I heard Notre Dame was joining the Belt.

Agree. Someone new with 11 total posts claims to have inside info on a total redo of the SBC with 4 new schools added, although 2 just inked with the WAC a month ago and one is not FBS qualified. Excuse me if I don't believe.

Yeah sure. So? So the UT system wants to drown us in their guano droppings. We're supposed to just go along with that? We know everyone wants to keep us down. Helping others up is only going to spread talent pool even thinner and none of us will have a prayer to compete with those further up the totem pole. Anybody going along with the 'let's make local rivals' idea is being DUPED! We have to play offense AND defense.

I don't disagree with your point at all. I'm just generally annoyed by people who insist on living in this dreamland where NT Football is, at this moment, on par with the TCU's and Boise State's of the world.

I don't disagree with your point at all. I'm just generally annoyed by people who insist on living in this dreamland where NT Football is, at this moment, on par with the TCU's and Boise State's of the world.

Where TCU and Boise are is where I want NT to be at but we are far, far from that point. We don't need to add more 1AAs to our conference slate as it will only further the bad image the conference has. The Sun Belt does not need to be a life boat for all programs aspiring to play in FBS football.

Add La Tech and New Mexico St. and let's shake hands and be done with it. Everyone could agree that adding both of them would be a positive for the Belt but the inclusion of Georgia State, UTSA, TSUSM and Southern Bama is not what Waters stated he had in mind by adding teams to the Belt. You can't just go from two months ago clearly stating that the Belt would not be interested in adding additional teams that have not played one down of Div IA football to now adding 4.

I'm thinking Ga. State played this year and at the DI level. Heard their coach , Bill Curry, on the radio yesterday talking about their program. they now have over 31,000 students enrolled.

The hypocrisy is astounding. Here is an analogy for you: Boise State is to Ohio State as Texas State is to North Texas.

I think that is a bad analogy. North Texas, Ohio State, and Boise State are all FBS schools. Texas State hasn't played 1 down of football in the WAC. They are an FCS team, and I hope they stay there, and win many, many championships. See, I'm not against them.