If North Texas Has No Interest Or Chance For Mwc...

PlummMeanGreen

The incredibly unreliable information I have in hand, from someone not connected to UNT in any way shape or form, is that we haven't contacted the MWC. I don't trust the source at all, but just throw it out there in the hopes that someone with actual ties to the AD or president's office can deny it or talk to it. MootPoint or anyone else?

The incredibly unreliable information I have in hand, from someone not connected to UNT in any way shape or form, is that we haven't contacted the MWC. I don't trust the source at all, but just throw it out there in the hopes that someone with actual ties to the AD or president's office can deny it or talk to it. MootPoint or anyone else?

If and only if this is true...RV's job needs to be in question. I love him but this is not I want to see and read.

• Downvote 1

Just recently in the USU Chat (which once again is not necessarily reliable, but their people have seemed to be at least SOMEWHAT knowledgeable so far) it was said that the votes last night were an affirmative to expand, and the approving of the TV contract. USU was a big part of the TV contract, so they are basically in. The #12 team had little to do with the money involved in the TV contract, and the MWC has yet to decide who that team will be. One of the posters that they all seem to trust believed the 12th team would be decide in this order: UTEP, NMSU, SJSU, UNT, Idaho. He did believe UNT was in the race.

****Once Again, this is just rumor, and may be completely unreliable.****

Meetings resume today at 10am MT.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

We rely on internet message boards, rumors, stuff I heard from my brother's brother's sister's hairdresser, etc... to get us all worked up and call for RV's head on a platter. Unless any of us have Pres. Rawlins, RV, Chuck Neinas, etc... pitching us information, I wouldn't put too much stock in all of this. They will do what is best for North Texas and have better access to quality information than we ever thought about having. Let's let them do their job and react to the results they produce instead of reacting to what might happen.

Our administration will keep quiet until there is something substantial to report. On the other hand, they could spout off every thought, ala Karl Benson, and look like desperate school girls/boys with egg on their faces at every turn.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Our administration will keep quiet until there is something substantial to report. On the other hand, they could spout off every thought, ala Karl Benson, and look like desperate school girls/boys with egg on their faces at every turn.

I for one believe RV needs to have that Karl Benson type of attitude and mentality. Say what you want about Benson but he's a hell of an conference commissioner considering what he has to deal with and he's still not giving up...I wish RV had the same type of fire as Benson.

• Downvote 2

Who says RV doesn't have the same fire as Benson? Maybe RV chooses to play his cards close to the vest instead of airing every thought that enters his head, like Benson, and looking like a fool. Benson appears desperate, which he is, trying to save the WAC. The WAC with the likes of Portland State, UC-Davis, UC-Sacramento, TSU-SM, UTSA, etc... is a glorified D1AA, Southland like conference. Is that what you want in an AD?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

?

(Other side of the coin is if secret negotiations with the MWC have been going on which I would not bet my next pay check of that happening, either).

I'll reiterate what I first posted.

If we can get some facts or go to the horses mouth why not ask the question. Duh?

Maybe this one will get me 2 more red numbers from our anonymous hide behind their keyboard types! :lol:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

tumblr_l6i1nezDhP1qbuyajo1_500.jpg

If we get passed over for a WAC refugee like San Jose, then no, things will not be OK. 10 more seasons in the Sun Belt is not acceptable, and will not energize or grow our fan base.

I don't want to be the "Frado" of college football like LA Tech.

I have faith that our leaders are doing everything possible to get us in to a better conference. If that is not the case, then heads need to roll.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Conferences with the notable exception of the sinking WAC don't normally comment on who they would like in their conference, until subject school has accepted the offer. I have no doubt that if NT is interested in the MWC that they have made it known to the appropriate people. What purpose would it serve to publicly announce that NT would like to be in CUSA, MWC or the SEC? It is not going to help your application one bit and if not chosen it is only going to be a negative factor for the school. The administration has stated many times that they want to move NT up the football hierarchy. To think that MWC did not chose NT because NT didn't apply is foolish. In the first place, if the MWC wanted to consider NT, it would be very easy for them to contact NT to see if there was any interest.

My guess is that the MWC wanted to tighten their footprint and concentrate on the West. There is just no one not already in an AQ conference that offers what TCU did to make them want a team so far away from the rest of the teams.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Some of you are just embarrassing yourselves. We should fire our AD, Pres., etc if we don't get into a conference that they may not have ever even been interested in joining?

I was much higher on the MWC a few months ago, but if they choose to add Utah St. and San Jose, it really is just another rebranded Big West + the weakest of the old WAC. Honestly, I don't know that it's not better to just let the MWC kill the WAC, ending or severly delaying TSU-SM and UTSA in their FBS transition plans, and simultaneously forcing LaTech to go Indy, Sun Belt, or drop classification.

Best case scenario, imho, is for Dan McCarney's staff to rebuild our football program and then run roughshod through the Belt for a few years while continuing to let JJ build a strong basketball program. If we jump now, to a much tougher conference, it could take longer for both programs to be competitive. That's not to say that we can't be immediately competitive in that conference, but we KNOW our formula is working for the Bball program now and have just hired a football coaching staff that, monetarily, outpaces the rest of the Sun Belt.

In case some of you aren't paying attention, the amount of money a program spends, in relation to their in-conference competition, is the single greatest factor in determining their success rate. It sucks, but it's the hard truth. My guess is that our adminstration knows that, and probably considers that joining the MWC does little to help connect with our alumni base. Whereas, even though we'd still be in the bottom half of CUSA budgets, that conference has schools located in cities where we have large alumni bases. We'd have a greater chance of connecting with alums and in turn, increasing donations and our revenues.

Do not mistake UNT for TCU just b/c we happen to both be from DFW. TCU had already built up a donor base that single-handedly outpaced the rest of the MWC at the time they joined. That, more than anything else, is what enabled them to be immediately successful and continue to be successful.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 5

My guess is that our adminstration knows that, and probably considers that joining the MWC does little to help connect with our alumni base. Whereas, even though we'd still be in the bottom half of CUSA budgets, that conference has schools located in cities where we have large alumni bases. We'd have a greater chance of connecting with alums and in turn, increasing donations and our revenues.

You really think we have more alumni in Jonesboro, Monroe (Shreveport-ish), Lafayette, Nashville, Mobile, Bowling Green, Little Rock, Troy, Miami/Fort Lauderdale than Denver, Colorado Springs, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, San Diego (LA-ish), Reno, and Honolulu? I guess it could be true, but it doesn't seem likely.

I believe the comparison was CUSA to the MWC, not Sun Belt to MWC.

Yep. CUSA to MWC. Our leadership has publicly stated that we are interested in joining CUSA, whereas they haven't made the same overtures concerning the MWC. I think that speaks volumes about what our leadership's plans are considering that the MWC is, currently, ranked higher on the pecking order than CUSA (however slightly).

Edited by TIgreen01

Yep. CUSA to MWC. Our leadership has publicly stated that we are interested in joining CUSA, whereas they haven't made the same overtures concerning the MWC. I think that speaks volumes about what our leadership's plans are considering that the MWC is, currently, ranked higher on the pecking order than CUSA (however slightly).

Ignoring options in favor of waiting on a CUSA invite would be a mistake. I'm not saying any options are on the table now, but UNT to CUSA seems like a pipe dream along the same lines as NTSU to the SWC.

IMO, we ain't getting into CUSA as long as SMU is there. You will never convince me otherwise. They have the other private schools to vote with them and the eastern CUSA teams that don't want anymore Texas teams if they lose anyone else. I suppose that if SMU ever does leave, then I believe CUSA will be our home. But if we join, I wouldn't expect UH to be there, either. I really expect for us to either be invited to join the MWC soon or to be a part of the SBC for a long time into the future.

Best case scenario, imho, is for Dan McCarney's staff to rebuild our football program and then run roughshod through the Belt for a few years while continuing to let JJ build a strong basketball program.

In case some of you aren't paying attention, the amount of money a program spends, in relation to their in-conference competition, is the single greatest factor in determining their success rate. It sucks, but it's the hard truth. My guess is that our adminstration knows that, and probably considers that joining the MWC does little to help connect with our alumni base.

Right on. Unfortunately, many believe that if the AD and university hold their breath long enough, the MWC or similar conference will suddenly fling wide the doors of heaven.

Build your facilities, build your program financially, and build your attendance. UNT has made the COMMITMENT necessary regarding facilities. The coaches and on-field product, but most importantly, the alumni, have to do the same now and be COMMITTED. That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it will always be. Then the conferences will come to you. It's not rocket science.

• Upvote 1

Ignoring options in favor of waiting on a CUSA invite would be a mistake.

Categorically claiming that ignoring options, without going into any detail as to what those options are, is an easy claim to make. As it concerns this thread's subject, and specifically, whether or not UNT should or should not be interested in joining the MWC, that is a matter of opinion. Why would it be a mistake?

It would behoove you to go back and read Grand Green's post again. The truth is at the moment we are not ready to advance to either the MWC or CUSA. Many items are in place....facilities, coaching staff, soon to be increased budget, and administrative support. However, there are other things that we need to know such as what will our attendance be, will the increase in donors be enough to keep the program moving forward, will we have a winning season to validate our improved coaching staff, can we rely on continued support from our president and BOR, etc. In other words we haven't proven anything other than our student body is willing to help support the program financially and that we are willing to use sources that can help advance our cause.

I'd wager a considerable amount (for me) that both the MWC and CUSA know and understand our interest and intent. When we have proven ourselves worthy then we will be invited to either conference that has an opening.

I believe that we find ourselves in competition with primarily three others for a spot in either league. None of those three are ready to advance either. San Jose State is deficient in several categories...attendance, power rating, and to some extent facilities. Utah State still has a poor power rating, mediocre attendance and a stadium that only holds a little more than 25,000. Louisiana Tech, our foremost CUSA competitor, has money problems, as does the state of Louisiana. They, along with their UL partners, have the lowest operating budgets in the FBS. LaTech also shares a small market and they have mediocre attendance.

There remains a possibility that as many as seven more slots above us could be filled within the next year or two. If we are ready (and I firmly believe that we will be) we should receive one of them. I believe that Lane Rawlins and Chuck Neinas will see to that.