New Mwc Thread

meangreenbob

I have to believe that if UTEP left CUSA that we would be the replacement pick over Louisiana Tech. I know SMU would be vehemently against it, but common sense should overrule them...I would expect more competition from Troy or MTSU.

my bet would be if utep moved to mwc,[which i doubt they will] cusa would move memphis to west division and add a team in east. cusa is probably going to loose central florida to big east this summer, and would again add another team in east division. ecu and marshall are pushing this since they are out there by their lonesome. i would think w.ken.,middle. and fau would receive consideration.

Well I think you could argue that SMU wants to get the attendance boost and local rivalry of UNT without giving up the conference advantage of being in CUSA.

Then bring on TCU. They don't have to worry about a conference advantage and we would no doubt draw more than Tennessee Tech, SFA, etc. Hell, I'd play them in a Tom Thumb (Safeway) parking lot.

my bet would be if utep moved to mwc,[which i doubt they will] cusa would move memphis to west division and add a team in east. cusa is probably going to loose central florida to big east this summer, and would again add another team in east division. ecu and marshall are pushing this since they are out there by their lonesome. i would think w.ken.,middle. and fau would receive consideration.

This is my worst nightmare for UNT going forward. If we get lost in the shuffle and get stuck here in the SBC with non-Texas schools and the SBC doesn't have MTSU, FAU, and/or WKU, this will kill any momentum that the new stadium and McCarney are bringing to UNT right now. Could you imagine this:

MWC (if UTEP left and Utah State got taken): UTEP, Utah State, SDSU, Nevada, UNLV, Fresno State, Colorado State, AFA, New Mexico, Hawaii, Wyoming, and Boise State

CUSA: UH, SMU, Tulsa, Rice, La Tech (SMU's choice), Tulane, USM, UAB, ECU, Marshall, MTSU, and FAU (lose Memphis and UCF)

SBC: South Alabama, Western Kentucky, Florida International, Troy, ULaLa, ULM, Arkansas State, North Texas. I could handle this if we also had NMSU, UTSA, and Texas State join the SBC just to get some regional rivalries going. But if we got stuck without any of the last three mentioned and our closest league game is still in Monroe, Louisiana or Jonesboro, Arkansas, we will have really gotten the shaft in all of this conference shuffle.

All this said, I think we will eventually be in the MWC. If we can start winning in football, it could be very soon, like within three years or less.

This is my worst nightmare for UNT going forward. If we get lost in the shuffle and get stuck here in the SBC with non-Texas schools and the SBC doesn't have MTSU, FAU, and/or WKU, this will kill any momentum that the new stadium and McCarney are bringing to UNT right now. Could you imagine this:

MWC (if UTEP left and Utah State got taken): UTEP, Utah State, SDSU, Nevada, UNLV, Fresno State, Colorado State, AFA, New Mexico, Hawaii, Wyoming, and Boise State

CUSA: UH, SMU, Tulsa, Rice, La Tech (SMU's choice), Tulane, USM, UAB, ECU, Marshall, MTSU, and FAU (lose Memphis and UCF)

SBC: South Alabama, Western Kentucky, Florida International, Troy, ULaLa, ULM, Arkansas State, North Texas. I could handle this if we also had NMSU, UTSA, and Texas State join the SBC just to get some regional rivalries going. But if we got stuck without any of the last three mentioned and our closest league game is still in Monroe, Louisiana or Jonesboro, Arkansas, we will have really gotten the shaft in all of this conference shuffle.

All this said, I think we will eventually be in the MWC. If we can start winning in football, it could be very soon, like within three years or less.

I guess the question still remains "why would SMU support La Tech?" What's the real hook there? (I think most know the answer to that one).

I know the Stangers would deny its not about us at all, but who around these parts would ever believe that, too--media included? Heck, a school with Death Penalty in their own resume' has pretty well honed the skills of lying and deceit as it is already and it just seems to be part of their general make-up and legacy.

I can show SMU 3 SBC schools besides La Tech who would make better fits as it is and we are not even part of those 3, but UNT would still be the better choice beyond the 3 I have in mind with our upside in "easy access" location, Mean Green Village facilities & still our expected burgeoning growth--but since when did conferences powers that be start using what makes the most sense (cents) as a criteria anyhow? :growl:

Whatever happens will not be a surprise for many of us who have seen everything at UNT and in Denton execpt child birth (to quote the late, great Bill Blakely). UNT has a gol' darn bright future no matter what happens this re-alignment go around and I assure you, there will be other "re-alignment go arounds" in the future. UNT still needs to simply use the Boise model and just build it from the ground floor and let it be us who are the new perennial Top 25 fixtures in the future. We have all the pieces of the puzzle now in place with the debut of our new football stadium this Fall for that to become reality.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

I guess the question still remains "why would SMU support La Tech?" What's the real hook there? (I think most know the answer to that one).

I know the Stangers would deny its not about us at all, but who around these parts would ever believe that, too--media included? Heck, a school with Death Penalty in their own resume' has pretty well honed the skills of lying and deceit as it is already and it just seems to be part of their general make-up and legacy.

I can show SMU 3 SBC schools besides La Tech who would make better fits as it is and we are not even part of those 3, but UNT would still be the better choice beyond the 3 I have in mind with our upside in "easy access" location, Mean Green Village facilities & still our expected burgeoning growth--but since when did conferences powers that be start using what makes the most sense (cents) as a criteria anyhow? :growl:

Whatever happens will not be a surprise for many of us who have seen everything at UNT and in Denton execpt child birth (to quote the late, great Bill Blakely). UNT has a gol' darn bright future no matter what happens this re-alignment go around and I assure you, there will be other "re-alignment go arounds" in the future. UNT still needs to simply use the Boise model and just build it from the ground floor and let it be us who are the new perennial Top 25 fixtures in the future. We have all the pieces of the puzzle now in place with the debut of our new football stadium this Fall for that to become reality.

GMG!

All I saw here was angry face. Please summarize.

• Upvote 2

All I saw here was angry face. Please summarize.

Summarize? (I get subtle hints from time to time on this forum as why UNT is about 25 or more years behind the 2 schools we'd like to think we are "right there along with em'" and that being UH and Texas Tech). Our new stadium pretty well fits in that same timeline as far as when it probably should have been built, too & at a much lesser cost to boot). Does that need to be summarized, too? Just askin' :unsure:

Summarize? (I get subtle hints from time to time on this forum as why UNT is about 25 or more years behind the 2 schools we'd like to think we are "right there along with em'" and that being UH and Texas Tech). Our new stadium pretty well fits in that same timeline as far as when it probably should have been built, too & at a much lesser cost to boot). Does that need to be summarized, too? Just askin' :unsure:

Much better, thank you.