Congresswoman Shot In Az

Well, to each their own, but like a typical NYT editorial (which, politically, can be compared with the DRC's editorials on the new stadium: you always know which way they will fall), it blames republicans and ends with calling for gun control. Huge surprise. If it were honest, it would have pointed out that this particiular political enivornment reared it's ugly head when Ronald Reagan was President, with many on the left blaming Pres Reagan for everything under the sun. It got worse under Bill Clinton, with many on the right having vast conspiracies, some of which accused Pres Clinton of being involved in the Vince Foster murder (even though he committed suicide).

It reached a whole new level with Pres. Bush, with many on the left publicly longing for his death. Nary a word from the good old NYT. People openly calling President Bush a murderer and a war criminal. Where was the outrage??

Then with President Obama, it just shifted back the other way, with many people being unable to seperate a disagreement with his policies and villianization of the man, actually believing he wasn't borm in the US.

BUT, to buy into the BS in this NYT editorial that it is all one party's fault is, well, kind of naive, if you truely are a moderate as you say. I wonder how the NYT would have reported this if the congresswoman would have been a republican :rolleyes:

The Sheriff in Tucson is using this to further his political career. He is going to make an ass of himself when he is called as a defense witness during the criminal trial, something that probably hasn't even crossed his mind.

I'll bet you a clean, unwrinkled $100 bill that when this investigation is completed, there will be absolutely no evidence that shows that talk radio, Sarah Palin, or any other conservative influence had anythjing to do with this act. Just a crazy man on a mission, just like all of them (Oswald, Hinkley, Chapman, etc...)

Oh, and you do know this guy list The Communist Manifesto as one of his favorite books on his Facebook page, right? Maybe we should look to the polar opposite side of the political spectrum to place blame :ph34r:

EDIT: And the most ironical part of that editorial is it calls for less political polarization by blaming one and one party alone. Surely you of all people can see the irony in that.

My comment meant that I don't usually agree with New York Times editorials. Editorials are written for strong reactions and -- especially now -- meant for page views and sales. As a non-retard, I'm sure you know this.

I forget how much I have to spell out and qualify points to avoid your 10 paragraph trap door debates. Let me back up -- the basic idea that I posted at the beginning is that, regardless of what's been going for centuries (did you catch the Lincoln reference I threw out), I think things are at a point today where the environment is so hostile and fractured that it can push the crazies over the edge like never before. The fact that there is one side pointing fingers while the other treats this like a trial defense helps illustrate this. I fail to see why this is a controversial stance, but I can't wait to learn why it is as more and more news sources create the counter-case.

Honestly, the reason I bring the sites up is that while they are on their own no big deal, the fact that people have felt the need to go back and scrub and remove things that were inflammatory makes me ask why they were ever up at all.

If we're lucky, when all is said and done, maybe a paid study or two will be involved. (/crosses fingers)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When Palin first put the map up she tweeted, "don't retreat, reload."

It"s called a metaphor. A bomb in football is not actually a bomb. A home run in business doesn't actually mean you round three bases. A steal in baseball doesn't mean you get to keep the base. I suspect what she meant is don't give up, rethink your strategy or reprepare yoruself, then try again.

That is the problem with this country these days. If some dumbass shoots up a building, its automatically the violence in video games. It's never bad parenting, or maybe they just have a fuse in their wiring. Its always blame something else. Hey, I love to play Assassins Creed. I have yet to scale a buliding, and jump down on someone with a kinfe. Also, everyone keeps pointing out Palin's map, assuming that this idiot was a right winger. He did kill a conservative judge, and a moderate democrat congreswoman, and several innocent bystanders.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The one that came from the vice presidential nominee.

Who does not broadcast on a national network every weekday night?

Yep, because Vice Presidential candidates carry so much weight in this country. :rolleyes:

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I lean conservative maybe slightly more often than liberal, and was surprised to find myself agreeing with this NYT editorial.

My comment meant that I don't usually agree with New York Times editorials. Editorials are written for strong reactions and -- especially now -- meant for page views and sales. As a non-retard, I'm sure you know this.

Let me back up -- the basic idea that I posted at the beginning is that, regardless of what's been going for centuries (did you catch the Lincoln reference I threw out), I think things are at a point today where the environment is so hostile and fractured that it can push the crazies over the edge like never before. The fact that there is one side pointing fingers while the other treats this like a trial defense helps illustrate this. I fail to see why this is a controversial stance, but I can't wait to learn why it is as more and more news sources create the counter-case.

Honestly, the reason I bring the sites up is that while they are on their own no big deal, the fact that people have felt the need to go back and scrub and remove things that were inflammatory makes me ask why they were ever up at all.

I find it hard to believe that you rarely agree with NYT editorials, but for some unknown reason agree with one that is totally off the mark and is a basic definition of irony. As a non-retard , I thought you would get this.

What pushes crazies over the edge is craziness, not political ideas. As a quasi student of history, I would think that you would know this. But, if you want to believe that a guy that wanted to make marihuana the national currency (at least I think that is what he meant by his ramblings on you tube) is in any way influenced by conservative talk radio or a innocuous Sarah Paliin posting, well, it's a free country, I guess.

As far as the way each side is acting, do you really believe both sides would be acting the same way if it had been a republican senator assasinated in one of those states in the democrat map with the targets? Or would the issue never even be brought up?

To me, it would be a non-issue, just like Sarah Palin's map. How about you?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I find it hard to believe that you rarely agree with NYT editorials,

Because I post so many? Or because you don't want to argue about the basic premise that our environment is toxic on both sides, but just prove that the side you are not on is really toxic?

What pushes crazies over the edge is craziness, not political ideas. As a quasi student of history, I would think that you would know this. But, if you want to believe that a guy that wanted to make marihuana the national currency (at least I think that is what he meant by his ramblings on you tube) is in any way influenced by conservative talk radio or a innocuous Sarah Paliin posting, well, it's a free country, I guess.

It's true. I mean, just looking at the 3 most famous assinations in our history (I'll say Lincoln, MLK and JFK). There was by no means any kind of toxic and angry debate around each of those individuals at all. Things were great and then, boom, some nutjob found a gun.

As far as the way each side is acting, do you really believe both sides would be acting the same way if it had been a republican senator assasinated in one of those states in the democrat map with the targets? Or would the issue never even be brought up?

I think the exact same thing would be happening in reverse -- that's my issue and it would drive me just as nuts.

To me, it would be a non-issue, just like Sarah Palin's map. How about you?

You must spend a lot of time sticking your penis in people's feet and mouths, because it's impossible for you to find the middle of anything.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Every time this thread gets bumped, it reminds me I need to buy groceries.

I hope you all keep hashing this out with each other at least through Saturday afternoon. After that, you can just please stop.

What if I told you the outcome of this going nowhere debate might just impact our projected RPI assuming five Western Kentucky players bring their lunches to the team meeting next week?

Interested? You know you are.

Aroused? Without question.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What if I told you the outcome of this going nowhere debate might just impact our projected RPI assuming five Western Kentucky players bring their lunches to the team meeting next week?

Interested? You know you are.

Aroused? Without question.

Was that supposed to be read in the voice of the guy that does the ESPN 30 for 30 commercials?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I find it hard to believe that you rarely agree with NYT editorials, but for some unknown reason agree with one that is totally off the mark and is a basic definition of irony. As a non-retard , I thought you would get this.

Context, my friend, context. Please don't quote half a sentence. For one, it's bad form. For two, it's bad grammar.

I'll try an easier explanation for you. Of all the NYT editorials to agree with, I find it kinda amazing that you, of all people, would agree with one that is a walking definition of irony.

1) Because I post so many? Or because you don't want to argue about the basic premise that our environment is toxic on both sides, but just prove that the side you are not on is really toxic?

see above

2) It's true. I mean, just looking at the 3 most famous assinations in our history (I'll say Lincoln, MLK and JFK). There was by no means any kind of toxic and angry debate around each of those individuals at all. Things were great and then, boom, some nutjob found a gun.

3) I think the exact same thing would be happening in reverse -- that's my issue and it would drive me just as nuts.

4) You must spend a lot of time sticking your person in people's feet and mouths, because it's impossible for you to find the middle of anything.

2) So apparently this "elevated level of hositity" has lasted about 150 years? If you look at assasination attempts of political figures since the end of segregation, they are all committed by nutjobs that weren't incited by anything but their nuttiness.

3) Really? Well, please show me the multiple political opinion pieces written in the Bush years by non-conservative (i.e., mainstream) columnist deriding the left for potential violence inciting political rhetoric. The rhetoric was way over the top against Bush, and I don't recall anyone in the mainstream media having any concern about the political discourse.

4) Where I stick my person is really my concern, but I know whether it is right or wrong when I am doing the sticking.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's true.

Fun with out of context quotes, and I even used your complete sentence. ;)

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Every time this thread gets bumped, it reminds me I need to buy groceries.

I hope you all keep hashing this out with each other at least through Saturday afternoon. After that, you can just please stop.

Na, we are going to settle it pregame Thursday with a free throw shooting contest.

Loser admits he's wrong and buys nachos.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

2) So apparently this "elevated level of hositity" has lasted about 150 years? If you look at assasination attempts of political figures since the end of segregation, they are all committed by nutjobs that weren't incited by anything but their nuttiness.

3) Really? Well, please show me the multiple political opinion pieces written in the Bush years by non-conservative (i.e., mainstream) columnist deriding the left for potential violence inciting political rhetoric. The rhetoric was way over the top against Bush, and I don't recall anyone in the mainstream media having any concern about the political discourse.

4) Where I stick my person is really my concern, but I know whether it is right or wrong when I am doing the sticking.

Wow, I'm done all around. If you see no common thread between those 3 deaths, there's no point in us going any further. It's a close call, because I'd hate to have fire up Factiva or Nexus and pull every editorial written in the last decade to prove my individual opinion.

So...congratulations?

ntwins1.jpg

P.S.. Can we do a new thread on the right place to stick your person? :ass: (/solicits via smiley)

• Upvote 2

Wow, I'm done all around. If you see no common thread between those 3 deaths, there's no point in us going any further.

Lots of common threads, but here is one...

They were all divisive radicals who tried to make the world just a little bit better.

But I think the real key here is...

They were all killed by zealots.

• Downvote 1