Go Daddy.com Bowl On

UNT90

Am I the only one who wishes these sponsor companies would give their bowl games an actual name instead pulling a Chick-fil-A and removing the "Peach" from the bowl game title? It sounds silly - GoDaddy.com Bowl, Meineke Car Care Bowl...silly and almost inappropriate, too.

It also hurts the bowl long term if the sponsor leaves. People will not recognize the bowl by its name. The Rose Bowl was not hurt this year by having a new sponsor because it is still the Rose Bowl.

Kajun Raider, who is there, is telling me via text that he heard they sold 4K tickets and is guessing they have between 5K-6K there tonight.

Rick

Yep...attendance looked bad. That is a shame. I guess neither school "travels well". How can a school have a team in a bowl and get that small of a crowd? I wonder what it says about the draw for the game locally and on each school's campus? Seems it doesn't say much. I wonder about the future of this bowl. Doesn't help get the SBC any new Bowl tie-ins that's for certain.

It's a bad bowl. It's right in the middle of all the BCS bowls, kids are back in school, it's a post-holiday bowl that really means very little in the grand scheme of things.

This is why there should be playoffs and no more bowl games. The bowls have become financial disasters for the schools.

Some say an 8 or 16 team playoff... Hell, have a 32-team playoff! It still finishes in 5 weeks and the ticket sales would be so much better.

It's a bad bowl. It's right in the middle of all the BCS bowls, kids are back in school, it's a post-holiday bowl that really means very little in the grand scheme of things.

This is why there should be playoffs and no more bowl games. The bowls have become financial disasters for the schools.

Some say an 8 or 16 team playoff... Hell, have a 32-team playoff! It still finishes in 5 weeks and the ticket sales would be so much better.

Coaches and college presidents will never allow a playoff. With the bowl system there are 35 winners at year end, and even if you lose you have a leg up on the next season by extra practice time and the opportunity to tell recruits you went to a bowl. I see no way a playoff helps mid majors as pairings would be just as jaded as NCAA BB with the seedings . Probably in a 32 team playoof ( anything less than 16 will be the same as the BCS), SBC would probably play Big 12 champ in round # 1.

Coaches and college presidents will never allow a playoff. With the bowl system there are 35 winners at year end, and even if you lose you have a leg up on the next season by extra practice time and the opportunity to tell recruits you went to a bowl. I see no way a playoff helps mid majors as pairings would be just as jaded as NCAA BB with the seedings . Probably in a 32 team playoof ( anything less than 16 will be the same as the BCS), SBC would probably play Big 12 champ in round # 1.

Never is an awfully long time.

Yep...attendance looked bad. That is a shame. I guess neither school "travels well". How can a school have a team in a bowl and get that small of a crowd? I wonder what it says about the draw for the game locally and on each school's campus? Seems it doesn't say much. I wonder about the future of this bowl. Doesn't help get the SBC any new Bowl tie-ins that's for certain.

Toothings:

(1) There are too many bowl games.

(2) If they are going to have too many bowl games, attendance will always be a problem in the crappy bowls if they pit teams with indifferent fan bases in bowl games hundreds of miles away from the campus...and during a recession...oh, I'm sorry Obama-sniffers - during a "weak recovery."

Rock me.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Coaches and college presidents will never allow a playoff.

Coaches and college presidents will never willingly adopt a playoff. They are going to have to be forced, probably by Congress.

The BCS needs to be investigated for anti-trust violations. The NCAA needs to have their tax-exempt status threatened. A review of college football finances needs to be conducted, with particular attention paid to coach's salaries, improper recruiting methods, and the role of NFL agents and boosters scrutinized.

Coaches and college presidents will never willingly adopt a playoff. They are going to have to be forced, probably by Congress.

The BCS needs to be investigated for anti-trust violations. The NCAA needs to have their tax-exempt status threatened. A review of college football finances needs to be conducted, with particular attention paid to coach's salaries, improper recruiting methods, and the role of NFL agents and boosters scrutinized.

God, please keep Congress' nose out of something it does not belong in. Amen! Congress has many more pressing items to be dealing with than something it has no business getting involved with at all. Perhaps one could use the "Interstate Commerce Clause" or the ant-trust statutes as Flyer mentions which they pull out of their rear ends from time of time, and I wouldn't put it past them to somehow use the RICO statutes to somehow accuse the NCAA and BCS of some sort of criminal enterprise, but at the end of the day, this is a matter that Congress needs to keep their noses out of...just my opinion. The less government, the better...smaller government is always better government in my opinion. Go do something about the economy, the deficit, the war in Afghanistan and Iraq (yes, Iraq is still in a state of war and we still have troops in Iraq), immigration, taxes, etc., etc.

The system will change...yes it will in time...but it will change for economic reasons once all the parties figure out how it is really in their best interests to do so. I doubt that even the BCS people think the BCS system is in any way the long term solution. Figure out a way to make it more profitable to change the BCS system to a playoff and it will change fast. Until then...Congress, keep your nose out of it and go do something much more important.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I haven't figure out why we can't have Bowls as well as a playoff system. Why can't the NCAA adopt something like this...

Continue to have the lesser bowl games such as the "GoDaddy.com Bowl", "Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl" and the "Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl" for teams that have the 6 wins needed, but obviously don't belong in a playoff.

Now, take the bigger bowl games... ex. Cotton Bowl, Gator, Chick-Fil-A, Capital One, Sugar, Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and the National Championship game, and make a damn playoff for the top 8 teams, or top 16 teams, or however many they want. Makes sense to me, why don't any of the guys making the decisions see it this way!?

I haven't figure out why we can't have Bowls as well as a playoff system. Why can't the NCAA adopt something like this...

Continue to have the lesser bowl games such as the "GoDaddy.com Bowl", "Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl" and the "Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl" for teams that have the 6 wins needed, but obviously don't belong in a playoff.

Now, take the bigger bowl games... ex. Cotton Bowl, Gator, Chick-Fil-A, Capital One, Sugar, Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and the National Championship game, and make a damn playoff for the top 8 teams, or top 16 teams, or however many they want. Makes sense to me, why don't any of the guys making the decisions see it this way!?

The reason is simple. It's because... ? :notfair:

Because you wouldn't get tens of thousands of fans at multiple schools to make upwards of four vacations to see their teams play. There'd obviously be a few that could afford to, but most couldn't just hop from Atlanta to Tampa, to Dallas, to Pasadena all within a month.

God, please keep Congress' nose out of something it does not belong in. Amen! Congress has many more pressing items to be dealing with than something it has no business getting involved with at all. Perhaps one could use the "Interstate Commerce Clause" or the ant-trust statutes as Flyer mentions which they pull out of their rear ends from time of time, and I wouldn't put it past them to somehow use the RICO statutes to somehow accuse the NCAA and BCS of some sort of criminal enterprise, but at the end of the day, this is a matter that Congress needs to keep their noses out of...just my opinion. The less government, the better...smaller government is always better government in my opinion. Go do something about the economy, the deficit, the war in Afghanistan and Iraq (yes, Iraq is still in a state of war and we still have troops in Iraq), immigration, taxes, etc., etc.

The system will change...yes it will in time...but it will change for economic reasons once all the parties figure out how it is really in their best interests to do so. I doubt that even the BCS people think the BCS system is in any way the long term solution. Figure out a way to make it more profitable to change the BCS system to a playoff and it will change fast. Until then...Congress, keep your nose out of it and go do something much more important.

I still believe that if Congress gets involved, the results will not be good for non-AQ teams. The power and money (i.e., political contributions) are in the hands of the big AQ schools. Hell, I could even see some of the lesser schools in the AQ getting screwed in that scenario.

For UNT, I truly believe that if we followed a TCU model, we could move up the food chain, too. A winning TCU football program used the Metroplex and Texas as reasons for other conferences to take them in. If we get our act together soon (like within 2-3 years) and again win the SBC, we could go into the MWC, for example, and take on some solid name programs with some momentum and we could make some serious waves, just as TCU did, and get into an AQ conference. This assumes that we still have time for a scenario like this to actually happen. It very well may not be feasible here, but while the window is still open, we have to have hope that we can take advantage of the opportunity with the advantages we do bring to the table.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yep...attendance looked bad. That is a shame. I guess neither school "travels well". How can a school have a team in a bowl and get that small of a crowd?

Attendance was 38,168; about 6,000 more than the Little Caesar's Bowl and 9,000 more than the NO Bowl. A lot of people started clearing out after Miami went up by two scores in the 2nd half.

Attendance was 38,168; about 6,000 more than the Little Caesar's Bowl and 9,000 more than the NO Bowl. A lot of people started clearing out after Miami went up by two scores in the 2nd half.

WOW...you could have fooled me from what I saw looking on over the TV. Was that actual "rears in the seats" or total paid attendance? I can not image that there was ever, at any point in the game, over 38,000 "rears in the seats". Maybe they all stayed outside and tailgated instead of actually entering the stadium.

Because you wouldn't get tens of thousands of fans at multiple schools to make upwards of four vacations to see their teams play. There'd obviously be a few that could afford to, but most couldn't just hop from Atlanta to Tampa, to Dallas, to Pasadena all within a month.

You could make the first round (maybe even the first two?) a home game for the higher-seeded team.