Full Story On Riley Transferring

Brett Vito

King DL1 and I play golf every other Saturday. Whoever is trailing has to carry both bags.

My back is very grateful for the reversal of fortune.

Well now, that's your own damn fault!

Unfortunately for you, I tailgate next to King, so now that I know this tidbit of info, I'm gonna have to +1 him every chance I get.

Nothing against you, Tasty, but if you have ever tasted his cooking, you would understand why we (uh... mainly, I) can't risk him getting a back injury.

• Upvote 1

Well now, that's your own damn fault!

Unfortunately for you, I tailgate next to King, so now that I know this tidbit of info, I'm gonna have to +1 him every chance I get.

Nothing against you, Tasty, but if you have ever tasted his cooking, you would understand why we (uh... mainly, I) can't risk him getting a back injury.

King pays well for his reputation standing.

Pitiful performance at Army almost as if he had never run the offense. He was gutsy at FAU but it was Canales offensive scheme (brilliant I might add) Hamilton, and Dunbar who won that game not RD.

Yes you are correct that he did not play good at Army but remember he did not practice much at all at QB in the Spring or August and did not start taking snaps on a more regular basis in Canales' offense until the Tuesday after the Rice game. Therefore he only had three practice days to get ready to be a backup QB against Army. After Thompson was knocked out, seemingly a majority of the team did not play good and not just Riley.

You think it was Canales' scheme, Hamilton and Dunbar that won the FAU game and not RD.....You are also correct about the Canales scheme and Hamilton.

Here are Riley's numbers from the FAU game...

10 for 15 passing (67%), 146 yards, two TD's (23 and 46 yards), 1 Int, zero sacks and plenty of key 3rd completions for First Downs.

11 rushes for 67 yards (6.1 avg) including several key 3rd down rushes for First Downs.

Lance on the over hand actually had one of his rare less productive performances with 29 rushes for 72 yards (2.5 avg).

You must have seen or listened on the radio or read on the internet a different game than the few UNT fans present with me at crappy Lockhart Stadium saw. My wife and other fans around us certainly commented how great of a game that Riley played in leading the team to victory. Other than the WKY game in 2009, I consider the 2010 FAU game to be Riley's best performance in leading the team.

• Upvote 5

Yes you are correct that he did not play good at Army but remember he did not practice much at all at QB in the Spring or August and did not start taking snaps on a more regular basis in Canales' offense until the Tuesday after the Rice game. Therefore he only had three practice days to get ready to be a backup QB against Army. After Thompson was knocked out, seemingly a majority of the team did not play good and not just Riley.

You think it was Canales' scheme, Hamilton and Dunbar that won the FAU game and not RD.....You are also correct about the Canales scheme and Hamilton.

Here are Riley's numbers from the FAU game...

10 for 15 passing (67%), 146 yards, two TD's (23 and 46 yards), 1 Int, zero sacks and plenty of key 3rd completions for First Downs.

11 rushes for 67 yards (6.1 avg) including several key 3rd down rushes for First Downs.

Lance on the over hand actually had one of his rare less productive performances with 29 rushes for 72 yards (2.5 avg).

You must have seen or listened on the radio or read on the internet a different game than the few UNT fans present with me at crappy Lockhart Stadium saw. My wife and other fans around us certainly commented how great of a game that Riley played in leading the team to victory. Other than the WKY game in 2009, I consider the 2010 FAU game to be Riley's best performance in leading the team.

I was at Lockhart Stadium, which by the way is owned by the City of Ft. Lauderdale and was never meant to be a college stadium. FAU and FIU rented it until they can complete their own. FIU built one that holds 20K, but will soon be expanded to 40K as mentioned during their bowl win. FAU has one similar to ours going up now. I will steadfastly say Canales won that game. He used Dunbar as more of a decoy. Schnelly did not even know who Hamilton was till halftime. Riley played WR during a great deal of the production as NT ran the wildcat more than I can ever remember before or since. BTW I was at Army & Clemson as well and Tune or Thompson either one would have given us a much better chance to win. RD had a poor game @ WR @ Clemson.

You just don't make a comment that you are willing to play WR then quit. That doesn't instill too much of a leader's attitude to your former teammates. I just hope Tune gets a medical redshirt, Thompson is healthy, and the JC is as good as he appears, then the entire Dodge era can be put out of the misery it caused and the failure that it was.

• Downvote 2

I was at Lockhart Stadium, which by the way is owned by the City of Ft. Lauderdale and was never meant to be a college stadium. FAU and FIU rented it until they can complete their own. FIU built one that holds 20K, but will soon be expanded to 40K as mentioned during their bowl win. FAU has one similar to ours going up now. I will steadfastly say Canales won that game. He used Dunbar as more of a decoy. Schnelly did not even know who Hamilton was till halftime. Riley played WR during a great deal of the production as NT ran the wildcat more than I can ever remember before or since. BTW I was at Army & Clemson as well and Tune or Thompson either one would have given us a much better chance to win. RD had a poor game @ WR @ Clemson.

You just don't make a comment that you are willing to play WR then quit. That doesn't instill too much of a leader's attitude to your former teammates. I just hope Tune gets a medical redshirt, Thompson is healthy, and the JC is as good as he appears, then the entire Dodge era can be put out of the misery it caused and the failure that it was.

He did not leave because of a potential position change. Not sure why you bring up the Clemson game, because he was barely used.

• Upvote 1

May be that he was gutsy, but far from a team player he tried to be a one man show even after everyone knows his arm was gone. Pitiful performance at Army almost as if he had never run the offense. He was gutsy at FAU but it was Canales offensive scheme (brilliant I might add) Hamilton, and Dunbar who won that game not RD. If you saw the efficiency that Tune showed at Clemson you would have been convinced that with he and Thompson that Riley was a #3 or #4 receiver at best. Dodge didn't save this season Canales saved the season. The quote from RD early in his time at NT "We came here to turn this program around"---well "we" didn't do much but waste 4 years on a dismal failed experiment. If we had had Tune or Thompson at QB with Canales calling the shots after FAU we would have been in New Orleans even with one of the slowest, weakest defenses I have seen at NT. There is a reason that everyone everywhere knows Riley Dodge is not and never will be an FBS D-1 QB. He and his Dad should have come to that conclusion long ago to let us recruit another QB rather than all candidates knowing Riley had a lock with Daddy in charge. I'll say this to anyone's face. Feel free to PM me. And no Riley Dodge never saw the day that he was gutsier than Scott Hall and Scott even won games for us and called his own shots w/o having to look to the sidelines.

You can fault Riley alll you want as a ball player but calling him a spoiled brat is a different story. Fact, Riley was basically a wide receiver until the Tune injury, then he was put back into the QB rotation. After that I am sure getting Thompson ready to start was the emphasis not the back up QB. Harping on his performance at Army and ignoring the circumstances is over the top in my view. If you don't think that Riley was a major part of NT's play post the Dodge termination then you and I have a big disagreement. Evaluating gutsy QB's is beyond ridiculous; Riley played when a lot would not have and seemed to always conduct himself well. What other players did has absolutely nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Let's get the facts straight.

RD had size and health concerns coming out of HS.

TD ran off Vizza to make room for RD.

I never supported the TD hire.

We all use screen names, but would say the same thing face to face.

shaft, i feel exactly how you feel.... Riley is transfering and thus quitting on UNT, and only came here becuz of his dad, obviously he has no intrest in UNT if he doesnt even want to play in the new stadium......i dont see how this kid gets so much praise from all of you? yea, he did play his ass off, but so did alot of Mean Green last year? But none of those kids get props here on GMG.com

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

shaft, i feel exactly how you feel.... Riley is transfering and thus quitting on UNT, and only came here becuz of his dad, obviously he has no intrest in UNT if he doesnt even want to play in the new stadium......i dont see how this kid gets so much praise from all of you? yea, he did play his ass off, but so did alot of Mean Green last year? But none of those kids get props here on GMG.com

Go ahead, and give the others props. I doubt anyone will object.

He also got a boat load of criticism., it always comes with the QB position; but that is escalated by the coach/son dynamic. I will never forget the number of football nitwits who blamed Meager for the SMU loss in which he threw for over 600 yards. Because of dad or not; NT doesn't get a lot of UT decommits and almost all the players are at NT because they didn't get a perceived better offer.

I am sure that Coach Dodge wants to go watch his son play. And I am equally sure that it would be very weird for him to watch his son from the stands in Denton. Awkward times 50 good luck to the entire Dodge family, I appreciate everything that you did to clean up our program. Our APR score is back up, the off the field problems have been drastically reduced and we have a new stadium. Good luck in the future, i will be following your football careers (both dad and son)

• Upvote 5