Disrespecting The Great God Football

Harry

I don't have a problem with the Denia Association wanting to have a say. However they need to be reasonable and i'm not sure that expecting no traffic on gamedays to affect their neighborhood is realistic. As someone else said, have you ever been to Norman on gameday? Hell, any Div I program is going to create traffic on gameday.

My HUGE problem with this editorial by the DRC is that they (DRC) say they have no idea which plan put forth is better or more reasonable but hey, we're gonna side with the Denia neighborhood. What kind of newspaper says they no nothing about the subject but chooses a side and writes an editorial about it. Isn't an editorial supposed to be a analysis of the facts and then giving an opinion?

What a load of crap.

And Harry, unless i'm mistaken, this is a DRC editorial. It was issued by the DRC, not anyone from Denia.

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 3

Six days with some additional traffic coming through spread from late August to late November seems like much ado about nothing. Especially when you factor in all the fantastic sports and cultural entertainment opportunities for darn cheap right down the street.

If somebody can explain what the big deal is I'll be amazed, cause I just do not see it. It's six days a year!

Six days with some additional traffic coming through spread from late August to late November seems like much ado about nothing. Especially when you factor in all the fantastic sports and cultural entertainment opportunities for darn cheap right down the street.

If somebody can explain what the big deal is I'll be amazed, cause I just do not see it. It's six days a year!

Everyone that lives there works on those days exactly an hour or so before the game and comes home exactly at the time the game ends... It really is miraculous!

I don't think the "I like UNT" platform would play well with the eight people who bother to show up to neighborhood assoc. meetings and vote in local elections.

I don't know, with the silent GMG.com financial support, we may be able to influence (read:buy) 9 neighbors' votes. ;)

Regarding this group, I would welcome the following:

1) They all move

2) The university takes over their homes and pays them 50 cents on the dollar

We don't know how many dissenters there are and the DRC didn't bother to find out. They just wrote the editorial based on what Weber told them. What if there really are just eight that don't like the situation and fifty that don't care?

From what was said, North Texas Boulevard will be closed to traffic (other than pedestrian) for several hours before and after the game so their suggestion about using that thoroughfare is pointless. Street parking can be eliminated on game day (all six of them) so they can still get out of their homes. This is all a tempest in a teapot.

EDIT: Sorry Daddy D. I hit Reply instead of Add Reply. Your solution is fine with me but only for the dissenters.

Edited by GrayEagle

If there's another newspaper somewhere that pays attention to neighborhood associations, I'd be surprised. If this investigative journalism could be replicated in Dallas, the HOA's and Condo associations could quit putting out their own newsletters (yes, I know, they're mostly online these days).

Honestly, Vito sometimes has information I want to read, but I'm just thinking about failing to click those links to his stories.

We don't know how many dissenters there are and the DRC didn't bother to find out. They just wrote the editorial based on what Weber told them. What if there really are just eight that don't like the situation and fifty that don't care?

From what was said, North Texas Boulevard will be closed to traffic (other than pedestrian) for several hours before and after the game so their suggestion about using that thoroughfare is pointless. Street parking can be eliminated on game day (all six of them) so they can still get out of their homes. This is all a tempest in a teapot.

I said eight as an illustration. My point was that there are a few people that are opposed to UNT no matter what it does, and they pretty much run the assoc. Most people in Denia, as is the rule in Denton in general, are fairly ambivalent towards UNT, and a few, such as myself, who are supporters.

It is a tempest in a teapot, but the only reason anyone pays any attention is that this teapot happens to contain the Mean Green Village and the stadium. There are probably just as many people who are anti-UNT in every neighborhood in town, and the jackwaggons in my neighborhood should be given the same amount of attention as those who might live on the other side of town, none.

They knew, same as I did, that when they bought their houses they were moving into a neighborhood next to a large and growing university that is going to do things to further it's mission. If they don't like it they should have picked another neighborhood.

• Upvote 2

However they need to be reasonable and i'm not sure that expecting no traffic on gamedays to affect their neighborhood is realistic. As someone else said, have you ever been to Norman on gameday? Hell, any Div I program is going to create traffic on gameday.

Last time I was in Norman, people were charging to park on their front yards. Maybe that will shut them up.

Well, something about that "1800" vehicles seemed miniscule in terms of the numbers we've talked about in the academic and government environments in which I've been around, but it can sound impressive when quoted out of context. If you look at a traffic count map of that area though, it just doesn't seem like that big a deal, when you zoom into the area on the linked map and look at traffic counts for the mentioned roads of between 1100 and over 3400 daily. You have to look at a legend and explanation at the top of the map to see what the various numbers mean, but it's fairly obvious that the lower traffic count numbers are taken 10 or more years ago. Remember, they'll usually try to take these counts on work days, so game day traffic (assuming that all or almost all those 1800 would take a route through Denia Park) would basically just be replacing commuter traffic, but spread out over a longer time period.

Traffic count map for West Central Denton