Power Watch Update & Mailbag

MeanGreen61

I've long been a proponent of bringing in JUCOs to compete for the starting QB spot. And, I've questioned the wisdom of using Riley Dodge at QB at this level because its not 1983 with 250-270 defensive tackles and 52 defenses with outside linebackers playing defensive end anymore.

But...

I've got no problem with Riley going into spring ball as the #1 guy. Mike Canales actually built a game plan that helped Riley keep the team competitive. That is to say, Canales:

(1) Recognized Lance Dunbar as the #1 threat and built the game plans around him, and

(2) Threw in U-backs and tight ends to give more pass protection and pass options, thereby keeping defenses more honest about blitzing.

I believe Riley can run Canales' offense. What I still question, though, is whether it is worth him taking the personal, physical risk.

On the "private" board last year, I raised the same question. In the end, no amount of debate here will decide the answer. The answer will be made among Riley, his parents, his doctors, and his coaches.

I'm not kidding, and never am, when I talk about Earl Campbell. Being old enough to have seen him play in person, it's awful to see him unable to walk these days.

I know Riley isn't simply abused by football coaches too stupid to do anything but give him the ball - as Campbell's college and pro coaches were. But, it's just the continual injuries and variety of injuries to Riley that scare me.

If everyone gives him the go, and he wants to do it, then I'm comfortable with him running Canales offense. But, his health will always be in the back of my mind.

Thompson and the JUCO signee Osborn are good insurance. Osborn has 3 years to play 3. Even if he doesn't beat out Riley this year, he'll have plenty of time to contribute here as a starter in 2012 or 2013.

To me, it's a positive that we now have some legitimate choices. I have a feeling we'll have even more come signing day, and am looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

I've long been a proponent of bringing in JUCOs to compete for the starting QB spot. And, I've questioned the wisdom of using Riley Dodge at QB at this level because its not 1983 with 250-270 defensive tackles and 52 defenses with outside linebackers playing defensive end anymore.

But...

I've got no problem with Riley going into spring ball as the #1 guy. Mike Canales actually built a game plan that helped Riley keep the team competitive. That is to say, Canales:

(1) Recognized Lance Dunbar as the #1 threat and built the game plans around him, and

(2) Threw in U-backs and tight ends to give more pass protection and pass options, thereby keeping defenses more honest about blitzing.

I believe Riley can run Canales' offense. What I still question, though, is whether it is worth him taking the personal, physical risk.

On the "private" board last year, I raised the same question. In the end, no amount of debate here will decide the answer. The answer will be made among Riley, his parents, his doctors, and his coaches.

I'm not kidding, and never am, when I talk about Earl Campbell. Being old enough to have seen him play in person, it's awful to see him unable to walk these days.

I know Riley isn't simply abused by football coaches too stupid to do anything but give him the ball - as Campbell's college and pro coaches were. But, it's just the continual injuries and variety of injuries to Riley that scare me.

If everyone gives him the go, and he wants to do it, then I'm comfortable with him running Canales offense. But, his health will always be in the back of my mind.

Thompson and the JUCO signee Osborn are good insurance. Osborn has 3 years to play 3. Even if he doesn't beat out Riley this year, he'll have plenty of time to contribute here as a starter in 2012 or 2013.

To me, it's a positive that we now have some legitimate choices. I have a feeling we'll have even more come signing day, and am looking forward to it.

Riley has certainly taken hits and he's gotten more than his share of injuries, but Earl Campbell is a completely different story. Earl Campbell dealt out punishment on almost every play...from High School through his pro career.

I disagree with Vito, Dodge was not the starter at the beginning of last year because a decision was made that his injuries were too severe not that he was not the best QB on the team. After Riley's performance last year he is the leading QB going into spring training without a doubt. After all the QB injuries last year including Dodge, it is obvious that NT needs multiple QB options. Riley is injury prone no question, Thompson is a big question mark so obviously a more experienced QB was wanted in the mix and yes a juco QB could be signed to be insurance.