Lsu's Worst Home Ooc Loss In 16 Years

SUMG

According to today's paper....the last time LSU lost a home OOC game this badly: 1994-1995 season, when UCLA beat them (also by 20).

Catapulting them to a National Championship... :ph34r:

You know what...eff it...bring on that '94-'95 UCLA team...we'll bitch slap Ed O'Bannon, Tyus Edny and Cameron Dollar by 20, too.

• Upvote 2

Josh would've picked Edny's pocket before he got to half court, then gone down and dunked on him, all in less than 4.8 seconds.

Well done.

Still one of the all time tournament moments. But perhaps the worst play by play call of any such moment.

Way to talk about the previous year for the length of the floor drive, dumbass.

Edited by CMJ

So WTF happened to this team in Huntsville?

SHSU is pretty good, we were a bit off that night, & things got out of hand at the end when our will was broken with around 4 minutes to go. They are a top 100 team though, no shame in the defeat. I sort of expected the loss, just not how we laid down the last few minutes.

On the other hand, I think that post game yell session by JJ must've been epic the way we've responded since.

Just a GREAT win by the Mean Green. I realize UNT will not get the coverage they deserve out of this win, but it is a great win and a wonderful "homecoming" for both JJ and Josh. It wasn't just a win...the Mean Green took LSU to task!

I will say it again...until the Mean Green Nation rises up and starts being positive about UNT the local media will not take UNT seriously and will not give UNT the time of day. Time and time again, UNT fans, alumni and students have shown to be their own worst enemy by not showing up at games, by not wearing Mean Green gear (why do you really think the local outlets have been so slow to carry UNT gear?), by not donating to the program, etc., etc. JJ has proved that UNT can and will be a program that people will be forced to notice. And, the "good news" is that all the above mentioned problems seem to be disappearing...yes, way too slowly, but disappearing i believe they are.

SO, the LSU win is just another BIG TIME step in the right direction. Can you imagine how proud RV must have been of JJ and the team sitting there at LSU watching the Mean Green dismantle the Tigers. PRICELESS!

GO MEAN GREEN! Congrats all the way around on a significant and well earned win over LSU. I am so proud to be a member of the Mean Green Nation...today, yesterday and tomorrow!

• Upvote 4

I Freaking trust, hope, and Pray RV back's his pride up with his checkbook like he did for coach MAC when the time comes. I'm a Canales fan, but his base salary has to be close to Johnny's and I'm sure Johnny's wife has spoken of the around the dinner table a time or two.

RV the day's coming when you'll have to again reward Johnny Jones for what he's building here. I don't want to see you pay the next basketball coach what should have been paid to Johnny in the first place.

I have faith in you RV, so just make sure this doesn't happen..."just saying". That's why they pay you the "Big" AD buck's!!!

Oh, we need a new womens BB coach..."just saying". :growl:

I Freaking trust, hope, and Pray RV back's his pride up with his checkbook like he did for coach MAC when the time comes. I'm a Canales fan, but his base salary has to be close to Johnny's and I'm sure Johnny's wife has spoken of the around the dinner table a time or two.

John Jones makes 261k base a year. That is more than Dodge made. He is (now) the second highest paid coach on campus.

http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/university-of-north-texas/john-h-jones/834741/

John Jones makes 261k base a year. That is more than Dodge made. He is (now) the second highest paid coach on campus.

http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/university-of-north-texas/john-h-jones/834741/

Old data, but 2nd highest paid maybe true, or Canales might be second or very close to second. Point is Johnny Jones has proven and done more than Canales and certainly McCarney. Point is Johnny Jones doesn't have a 78 Million facility i.e. he's under paid for his solid performance.

Point is Johnny Jones has produced more than any other coach on UNT campus and needs to be paid more so when the next BCS comes a calling Johnny Jones will stay put. Yes I know his contract was renegotiated recently, but Johnny has more recently been producing!!!

Old data, but 2nd highest paid maybe true, or Canales might be second or very close to second. Point is Johnny Jones has proven and done more than Canales and certainly McCarney. Point is Johnny Jones doesn't have a 78 Million facility i.e. he's under paid for his solid performance.

Point is Johnny Jones has produced more than any other coach on UNT campus and needs to be paid more so when the next BCS comes a calling Johnny Jones will stay put. Yes I know his contract was renegotiated recently, but Johnny has more recently been producing!!!

Point is a good basketball team draws 3,200 a game. Point is a bad football team draws 15K a game. Point is, this is Texas, where football is King, not Indiana.

Point is the head basketball coach at this school should NEVER make more than the head football coach. That would be a sure sign of misplaced priorities by the AD and BOR.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

According to today's paper....the last time LSU lost a home OOC game this badly: 1994-1995 season, when UCLA beat them (also by 20).

All I know is that I am very happy that we have the distinction of delivering LSU's worst home OOC loss in 16 Years.

Point is a good basketball team draws 3,200 a game. Point is a bad football team draws 15K a game. Point is, this is Texas, where football is King, not Indiana.

Point is the head basketball coach at this school should NEVER make more than the head football coach. That would be a sure sign of misplaced priorities by the AD and BOR.

I'm sure Bobby Knight made more at Indiana than their FB coach but, yes, we're talking BK here, too.

One of our great FW area alums tried calling me the other night to announce the Big Win but I was already in snooze land.

I'm not sure that this may have been our greatest win in MG basketball history except for the fact that I wasn't around during most of the Mo' Valley days and I don't know if we beat any of those great teams that had the likes of Oscar Robertson, Wes Unseld, Maurice Cheeks, etc, etc, etc, I remember as a UNT student when Denny Crum's UL Cards used to come to the SuperPit but we for sure didn't win any against the Cardinals.

IMHO, Coach JJ should have gotten his contract changed the next day post-LSU win to make $300K+ (retro-active).

That win won't hurt his recuiting for darn sure; of course, the down side is LSU may be looking at JJ as a future new head coach, too. To quote Rosannadana from the old SNL show: "It's always something!" :rolleyes:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure that this may have been our greatest win in MG basketball history except for the fact that I wasn't around during most of the Mo' Valley days and I don't know if we beat any of those great teams that had the likes of Oscar Robertson, Wes Unseld, Maurice Cheeks, etc, etc, etc, I remember as a UNT student when Denny Crum's UL Cards used to come to the SuperPit but we for sure didn't win any against the Cardinals.

This isn't the greatest win in our history, for sure. I don't even know that I'd put it ahead of the Oklahoma State win from a few years back.

But it is a great one because it's a road win, a dominating blowout performance, and because it's the second power conference team we beat in the same year. If LSU were stronger this year, it might rank up there on the all-time list.

My hope is that we get a win later this season that everyone can universally agree is the greatest in school history.

• Upvote 2

I'll bet at least half the ACC coaches (Roy Williams and Coach K for sure) make more than their football counterparts, and even among the football playing Big East schools I'd wager a few pay their hoops coach more (Syracuse and Connecticut probably). But along with Kentucky, that's probably about it as far as schools that play FBS football.

This isn't the greatest win in our history, for sure. I don't even know that I'd put it ahead of the Oklahoma State win from a few years back.

But it is a great one because it's a road win, a dominating blowout performance, and because it's the second power conference team we beat in the same year. If LSU were stronger this year, it might rank up there on the all-time list.

My hope is that we get a win later this season that everyone can universally agree is the greatest in school history.

I do think it's the best OOC win in JJ's tenure because it was a road demolition of an SEC school. To me, that makes it trump OSU or Tech.

The best win in school history would have to be during the MVC days. Didn't we beat a top 10 team at some point? I could have sworn we did.

I do think it's the best OOC win in JJ's tenure because it was a road demolition of an SEC school. To me, that makes it trump OSU or Tech.

Meh. Still not convinced. OSU had a star frosh at the time and was picked to handle us pretty easily in Denton. Am I remembering wrong?

I felt like we had a pretty good chance going into Baton Rouge. LSU bball was effin' terrible last year, and they have nothing this year to reverse that. I still think this was a fantastic win, though. Puts JJ on the radar for a Louisiana State gig and perhaps opens up some doors for possible LA recruits that were not already there.

UNT has never beaten any school with an NCAA National Championship legacy as LSU has in the modern era.

Of course, OSU (Okla. A & M) has 1 or 2 during their Iba Era of long ago but I'm talking the modern NCAA "Big Dance" era when all this became a nationally followed sport which began (if you believe Dick Enburg's theory on this) post UCLA/Houston shootout in the Astrodome in the late 60's. Up until then, it was mostly a regionally followed sport.

In Texas during that pre-modern era, basketball was what you did between Fall and Spring football. :rolleyes:

GMG

Are you implying that LSU has won an NCAA title Plumm? That isn't the case.

I would give OSU the nod in the "post modern" (field of 64 expansion, now to 68, in the mid 80's) era. Other than LSU's one run in the 2006 Tournament - it's kind of been dormant since Shaq left. Oklahoma State was totally rebuilt into a semi-power in the early 90's, making 2 Final Fours and some deep runs up until roughly 2005 or so, when they've fallen back to mediocrity.

I've been reading the LSU board a lot and most fans not all don't want JJ back at LSU. The reason behind this is NCAA sanctions against LSU i.e. Dale Brown and JJ. Lester I believe was the player for LSU that made lots of allegations of violations at the time and some were pointed at JJ and Brown. Lester later admitted he was lying about things he said against JJ, but many LSU alumni's don't want to take a chance based on scandal.

Hopefully this well ultimately take LSU out of the hunt for JJ in the future. :thumbsu:

Most on their board are willing to give their coach another year...unbelievable.