Football Traditions

ValleyBoy

:lol: Perhaps you forgot, most people didn't know who we were when were in school either. I can't tell you how many times I had to explain who/what we were and our differences with the Wings.

We didn't have that problem in the late 80's(WHAT, DURING OUR 1-AA YEARS???), with over 110 plus actives on campus we took up over a half of a lower section at the Fabulous Super Pit.

Stan R

So I was thinking yesterday, where is the cannon going to fit on gameday? There is hardly any room on the field level for it now, just wondering where it would go.

Stan R, I have no idea where Boomer will be located? It's been discussed in the past but nothing specific since the final design was revealed. I'm thinking the corner of the Touchdown Terrace might be a sweet spot though? Maybe the need to have enough people to actually get it up the stairs there might be enough incentive to increase Talon membership to the level needed to take care of the other items in question as well?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

We didn't have that problem in the late 80's(WHAT, DURING OUR 1-AA YEARS???), with over 110 plus actives on campus we took up over a half of a lower section at the Fabulous Super Pit.

Stan R

Stan R, I have no idea where Boomer will be located? It's been discussed in the past but nothing specific since the final design was revealed. I'm thinking the corner of the Touchdown Terrace might be a sweet spot though? Maybe the need to have enough people to actually get it up the stairs there might be enough incentive to increase Talon membership to the level needed to take care of the other items in question as well?

Rick

Rick you are much more positive about this than I am.

First, I am very excited about North Texas Football. But then again my knowledge about about North Texas Football is some where in between slim and none.

At this time I do know that I will be at two North Texas football games next year. Bama and Troy. Maybe I will be able to make more but will just have to wait and see.

Any facts about NT fooball would be appriciated, such as traditions within the football programs and there meaning. such as I know that NT is the Mean Green but how does the Eagle fit into the picture.

Are there any saying that are important with in the program such as this one from Erk Russell Georgia Southern first football coach.

"We are Georgia Southern. Our colors are blue and white. We call ourselves the Bald Eagles. We call our offense the Georgia Power Company, and that's a terrific name for an offense. Our snap count is "rate, hike". We practice on the banks of Beautiful Eagle Creek and that's in Statesboro, Georgia--the gnat capital of America. Our weekends begin on Thursday. The co-eds outnumber the men 3 to 2, they're all good looking and they're all rich. And folks, you just can't beat that, and you just can't beat Georgia Southern. And you ain't seen nothin yet!"

Also anything that this Dumb Southern Boy from the Great State of Alabama shoud know so that I do not put my foot in my mouth or in the context of cyberspace "My Foot in the Keyboard"

first of all...welcome, it's good to have you! now i have a question for you...why are you interested in UNT football all of a sudden? new student? friend/family member of a student/athelete? follower of dan mccarney? just curious. and once again, nice to have you!

Stan R

Rick

rick, how big of a firing zone is required? could it be placed at the opening by the south goal post?

Yeah, and there were some semesters when I was in school where the total number of actives was 10 or less. Apples and oranges comparison apparently.

And I'll bet most people still didn't know who Talons were in your day. Not like there were that many people period going to the games in the 80's or 90's. Given the size of the school, there's a good chance half the undergrads today have never been to a home football game either.

Edited by CMJ

first of all...welcome, it's good to have you! now i have a question for you...why are you interested in UNT football all of a sudden? new student? friend/family member of a student/athelete? follower of dan mccarney? just curious. and once again, nice to have you!

Family member of new student athlete.

This wont be popular, but I have always wondered why we have an old green car sitting in the endzone.

Cant we lead the team on the field with it like the Ramblin Wreck or at least ferry school dignitaries or the mascot into the stadium?

Make it useful?

Otherwise we might as well just get an old bike or a truck and paint it green and put it in the endzone as well.

Its great that it is green and I know we use it for homecoming, but really, what does it have to do with NT?

Light the Tower

I'd prefer to drive the airport tug with the giant bell into the opposing sidelines. Maybe we can chase them up the tunnel.

Also, we have a hand built bonfire that is burned the day before the homecoming game.

• Downvote 1

Yeah, and there were some semesters when I was in school where the total number of actives was 10 or less. Apples and oranges comparison apparently.

And I'll bet most people still didn't know who Talons were in your day. Not like there were that many people period going to the games in the 80's or 90's. Given the size of the school, there's a good chance half the undergrads today have never been to a home football game either.

My first memory of the Talons is from the 1970's/Fry years. They sat on the student side and rang big cowbells with carved wooden handles, drove the Model A, shot the cannon and drove an old go cart around the track. This was actually the first year that I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about them, other than the crew lighting Boomer.

rick, how big of a firing zone is required? could it be placed at the opening by the south goal post?

Yes it could fit behind the south endzones. It doesn't require a large space at all as long as it can have a clear line of sight to the sky. Thus, the smaller the space allowed in front of it the higher the elevation required.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick