Football Traditions

ValleyBoy

First, I am very excited about North Texas Football. But then again my knowledge about about North Texas Football is some where in between slim and none.

At this time I do know that I will be at two North Texas football games next year. Bama and Troy. Maybe I will be able to make more but will just have to wait and see.

Any facts about NT fooball would be appriciated, such as traditions within the football programs and there meaning. such as I know that NT is the Mean Green but how does the Eagle fit into the picture.

Are there any saying that are important with in the program such as this one from Erk Russell Georgia Southern first football coach.

"We are Georgia Southern. Our colors are blue and white. We call ourselves the Bald Eagles. We call our offense the Georgia Power Company, and that's a terrific name for an offense. Our snap count is "rate, hike". We practice on the banks of Beautiful Eagle Creek and that's in Statesboro, Georgia--the gnat capital of America. Our weekends begin on Thursday. The co-eds outnumber the men 3 to 2, they're all good looking and they're all rich. And folks, you just can't beat that, and you just can't beat Georgia Southern. And you ain't seen nothin yet!"

Also anything that this Dumb Southern Boy from the Great State of Alabama shoud know so that I do not put my foot in my mouth or in the context of cyberspace "My Foot in the Keyboard"

Edited by ValleyBoy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We are the University of North Texas, UNT, or just NT. Our nickname is Mean Green, a name originally given to our stingy defense back in the 60s. Our mascot is an Eagle.

Older supporters will urge our team on by saying, "Go Eagles." But most shout, "Go Mean Green," or "Go Green."

Our University changed it's name 22 (?) years ago. People that still call us NTSU simply don't keep up with college sports very well.

We look foward to your support when we play Alabama and Troy when we come to your part of the country.

When your travels take you into the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, I hope you'll come 25 or 30 miles north to Denton and look at our beautiful campus of 35,000 and walk through our new stadium. As of right now, it is unnamed. We're all really proud and excited to open our 2011 home season in our new place with a win over the U of Houston.

Welcome and GO MEAN GREEN

One of the coolest traditions at UNT is the existence of Boomer the field cannon. There are plenty here who can tell you about Boomer in detail, but just know that while it doesn't fire cannon balls at football games, it is a real working cannon. There aren't too many (if any) in NCAA football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Welcome to the board. North Texas played its first official game in 1913, against TCU, though the school had been playing football as a club sport from about 1903. In 1922 the students selected the Eagle as the school mascot. North Texas greats include Pittsburgh Steeler Hall of Famer Mean Joe Greene, and AFL great Abner Haynes. More recently, Patrick Cobbs of the Miami Dolphins and Jamario Thomas were back to back national rushing champions at North Texas. Current running back Lance Dunbar was an SI All American honorable mention his sophomore year.

Some of our traditions are:

the claw (tuck your pinky and ring finger, and curve your pointer, middle, and thumb) and say or yell "Go Mean Green!"

After scoring a touchdown the Talons (schools spirit organization) fire our cannon named Boomer.

We have an old Model A painted in school colors

The Battle Flag- A Texas flag in green, light green, and white. Being from Alabama, you may not get as excited about that one.

When we win, we light the tower at our administration building green.

I'm sure I left out others, but this should get you started.

Go Mean Green!

From the University web-site......

Colors

After a heated campus debate in 1902, the students chose green and white as the official school colors. According to a 1932 article in the Campus Chat student newspaper, green proponents believed that Mother Nature is kind to those who wear her colors.

So, Valley Boy, it appears that the students of North Texas were naturalist/envionmentalist long before it became cool... B)

This wont be popular, but I have always wondered why we have an old green car sitting in the endzone.

Cant we lead the team on the field with it like the Ramblin Wreck or at least ferry school dignitaries or the mascot into the stadium?

Make it useful?

Otherwise we might as well just get an old bike or a truck and paint it green and put it in the endzone as well.

Its great that it is green and I know we use it for homecoming, but really, what does it have to do with NT?

Light the Tower

• Upvote 1

A few of my favorite traditions include: arguing over jerseys, helmet stickers, discussions from other forums and what conference we should move to if invited.

...and never forget our sworn duty to trash all forms of SMUt and UT douchery. :sword:

• Upvote 1

...and never forget our sworn duty to trash all forms of SMUt and UT douchery. :sword:

I am all for that if what you mean is, let me put in in southern boy terms. Trash Talking the enemy. If that is the case my training for the last yr will not go to waist(I know spelling) I was trained in this art by the Great and Mighty TALON.

We also have a great tradition of changing our traditions:

Nick name: Normal Boys (unofficial) to Eagles to Mean Green

Colors: green and white, to green, white, blue, and copper, to green and white, with some black thrown in for good measure (not to mention every shade of green imaginable to man)

Fight Song: "Dumbed down" in 1976

Alma mater: eliminated the first and second verse, now only sing the refrain

Joking aside, welcome to the board! We have a great time here and that's a tradition I hope we keep.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually, our mascot is the Eagles and the nickname is the Mean Green. RV decided to emphasize the nickname "Mean Green" since we are the only one around instead of the mascot "Eagles" because of the thousands of schools/teams that utilize the eagle as their mascot.

Our official colors have always been green and white, but one AD chose to use blue and copper as complimentary colors (not acceptable) and within the last decade we have started using black as an accent (acceptable to some in limited form/acceptable to others in the new fad of all black uniforms).

Latest tradition: best damn stadium in the area with a team taking shape to properly play in it.

Actually, our mascot is the Eagles and the nickname is the Mean Green. RV decided to emphasize the nickname "Mean Green" since we are the only one around instead of the mascot "Eagles" because of the thousands of schools/teams that utilize the eagle as their mascot.

Ok got the difference between Eagles & Mean Green. Very similar to the situation I grew up with pulling for Auburn, or they the Tigers, War Eagle's, or the Plainsman.

Another question who is RV?

So I'm guessing there's a story behind why it wasn't at the games this year. Care to elaborate?

Yes, i assume there is but i havent heard it yet. But after the condition Boomer was left in for this fall I can only imagine. I spoke to the Swartz's three nights ago and they havent been contacted about it. So whatever is wrong with it who knows, but it wasnt used this season. I've got to get this $h!t taken care of before we open the new stadium next year.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

Yes, i assume there is but i havent heard it yet. But after the condition Boomer was left in for this fall I can only imagine. I spoke to the Swartz's three nights ago and they havent been contacted about it. So whatever is wrong with it who knows, but it wasnt used this season. I've got to get this $h!t taken care of before we open the new stadium next year.

Rick

Ok thanks for the reply. So I was thinking yesterday, where is the cannon going to fit on gameday? There is hardly any room on the field level for it now, just wondering where it would go.