Recruiting Denton Hs Players

KRAM1

So, I had the opportunity to talk with the parent of a highly recruited DISD football player recently. During that conversation I asked why more Denton kids don't consider UNT. I asked was it that UNT coaches never contact them?

The guy was very candid. Said that his son was, indeed, contacted by UNT early in the process, and the UNT coach was told basically not to waste their time as UNT would not be in the mix. Why" (in no specific order):

1) The kid has grown up in Denton and wants to "get away" from home for college;

2) The recent record of UNT is a factor, as is the lack of TV opportunities offered through the Sun belt;

;3) The lack of support the community gives UNT especially the lack of any community involvement/excitement on game days (remember, these kids grow up and Denton and see it week in and week out)

4) The attitude of UNT grads and alums around town who do not support the program, do not attend games, do not wear UNT gear and who seem to always be more negative than positive toward their own University;

5)The fact that many of their friends who attend UNT do so only after transferring from another school or who never have UNT on their list of colleges they are thinking of attending;

6) The opportunity to play for a "higher profile" program and be seen by pro scouts and their friends (remember, lots of these kids think they have the chance to be pro players at this stage in their "careers");

7) The lack of persistence by UNT coaches once they hear the initial reaction; and

8) Yes, some kids are simply not contacted by UNT recruiters at all for whatever reason.

Now, I asked would the coaching change perhaps help. The answer was definitely "yes" IF they start to turn the program around next season and IF the community and alums turn more positive in their support of the program and the university. OK, folks, this coming from a local kid's parent, and a kid who has grown up in Denton.

Is it all negative? ABSOLUTELY NO! Is there no hope for local recruiting? ABSOLUTELY THERE IS! But, both coaches and fans need to be realistic in their expectations. And, it seems the "attitude" of the local community and the UNT fans and alums needs some work as well. It does seem to matter. The new coaching staff and how it does on the field and around town will help...and, I was told that new stadium will be a BIG factor in recruiting...not only locally in the Denton area, but across the state as well. This guy indicated that "people are noticing" what UNT is doing these days.

Interesting conversation...yes, it was! BTW...parent asked that both he and his kid's name not be mentioned. I am assuming that meant that several local folks and coaches actually read this board!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Mark you bring up some excellent points. You didn't touch on it specifically, but my issue has to do with how we are perceived as a program and what the perception is regarding our level of support.

Just one time I would like to come to a well attended game at North Texas and look out on a sea of green....just once. I don't know how many times I've seen the TV playback of North Texas games and when the camera pans the home side, you wouldn't know who those people are pulling for by how they are dressed. Most of the time, it looks like most of them wandered off the street and had no affiliation with North Texas at all. And this is not just at football games. At every kick-off event that I've attended in the last few years I've always been shocked at how little green I see being worn.....AND THESE ARE THE HARD CORE SEASON TICKET HOLDERS....AND BIG TIME DONERS.

Small wonder we have the reputation of being non-supportive. We can't even collectively wear green to our own athletic events.

• Upvote 1

Not an unique problem, in general a highly sought athlete is not going to be interested in a non-AQ program. You could attach all the negatives posted above to most non-AQ programs. Unless there is some over riding reason a player wants to stay home, NT cannot compete with a Big 12 , SEC, etc, team, but NT should be able to compete with the CUSA and like teams. It is always easy to overlook the local teams became familiarity often does breed contempt. NT is in a negative position with many of the Denton recruits, because they can't really compete for the stars and are expected to have open arms for those that are borderline at best prospects.

You make initial contact just to get your name out there. UNT will probably never land a 4 or 5 * denton recruit right out of high school , but at least you make contact and establish some form of communication. If that kid gets homesick and is looking for a new home 2 or 3 years down the road then that kid knows who to contact. Don't waste a lot of time on the kids , but at least say " hey, we are here in case you ever need us"

I think UNT should do this with every single 3-5** recruit who goes to Denton,Ryan,Guyer & Lake Dallas

What bothered me in the Dodge era is that I know some recruits who were never even contacted by UNT. All it takes is a 10 minute drive around town and you could hit all the schools in the same day. Wouldn't cost anything in the recruiting budget and it gives the coaches a chance to change the image that most the kids who grew up in the area have of UNT ( that UNT is a laughing stock )

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

Not an unique problem, in general a highly sought athlete is not going to be interested in a non-AQ program. You could attach all the negatives posted above to most non-AQ programs. Unless there is some over riding reason a player wants to stay home, NT cannot compete with a Big 12 , SEC, etc, team, but NT should be able to compete with the CUSA and like teams. It is always easy to overlook the local teams became familiarity often does breed contempt. NT is in a negative position with many of the Denton recruits, because they can't really compete for the stars and are expected to have open arms for those that are borderline at best prospects.

Even UT Austin has this problem to some extent. They lose local players, some they really want, to other schools including A&M. True, they get a fair percentage of locals....but some kids want to go away for school and I can't blame them if they do.

All of the points are valid, but I'm sure that Fouts Field went a LONG way in discouraging many recruits from coming here. Hopefully that is behind us now. I have been told that many times recruits have been excited during their trips and liked the facilities, but when they visited Fouts, the excitement drained from their faces.

I'm sure growing up in Denton and seeing the dump their whole life made UNT a non-starter for many local players long before they were ever recruited.

• Upvote 3

So, I had the opportunity to talk with the parent of a highly recruited DISD football player recently. During that conversation I asked why more Denton kids don't consider UNT. I asked was it that UNT coaches never contact them?

The guy was very candid. Said that his son was, indeed, contacted by UNT early in the process, and the UNT coach was told basically not to waste their time as UNT would not be in the mix. Why" (in no specific order):

1) The kid has grown up in Denton and wants to "get away" from home for college;

2) The recent record of UNT is a factor, as is the lack of TV opportunities offered through the Sun belt;

;3) The lack of support the community gives UNT especially the lack of any community involvement/excitement on game days (remember, these kids grow up and Denton and see it week in and week out)

4) The attitude of UNT grads and alums around town who do not support the program, do not attend games, do not wear UNT gear and who seem to always be more negative than positive toward their own University;

5)The fact that many of their friends who attend UNT do so only after transferring from another school or who never have UNT on their list of colleges they are thinking of attending;

6) The opportunity to play for a "higher profile" program and be seen by pro scouts and their friends (remember, lots of these kids think they have the chance to be pro players at this stage in their "careers");

7) The lack of persistence by UNT coaches once they hear the initial reaction; and

8) Yes, some kids are simply not contacted by UNT recruiters at all for whatever reason.

Now, I asked would the coaching change perhaps help. The answer was definitely "yes" IF they start to turn the program around next season and IF the community and alums turn more positive in their support of the program and the university. OK, folks, this coming from a local kid's parent, and a kid who has grown up in Denton.

Is it all negative? ABSOLUTELY NO! Is there no hope for local recruiting? ABSOLUTELY THERE IS! But, both coaches and fans need to be realistic in their expectations. And, it seems the "attitude" of the local community and the UNT fans and alums needs some work as well. It does seem to matter. The new coaching staff and how it does on the field and around town will help...and, I was told that new stadium will be a BIG factor in recruiting...not only locally in the Denton area, but across the state as well. This guy indicated that "people are noticing" what UNT is doing these days.

Interesting conversation...yes, it was! BTW...parent asked that both he and his kid's name not be mentioned. I am assuming that meant that several local folks and coaches actually read this board!

GO MEAN GREEN!

One and six I can understand. The first part of two is a somewhat valid argument but UNT appears on local TV more than if they went west of here (since there won't be a MWC team in the metroplex soon, the WAC is likely folding their football, and I only see the Pac 10/12 when there's a national game).

Five doesn't resonate with me as a reason for not attending UNT. Economics may force more and more students to stay home. Also, Texas and A&M are approaching capacity and UNT may be a good alternative, depending on their major. One thing that underfunding athletics allowed North Texas to do was improve academics. We've always been just a little above average but in our effort to become a Tier 1 university academics should rise, drawing a more selective student body. It seems to be coming the first choice for more and more students these days.

Seven and eight should be corrected and I really believe that it will under Coach Mac.

Now comes the true but alarming part for me...three and four. Our alumni don't have to be rah,rah all of the time but they owe an allegiance to their alma mater. Even if they have no interest in athletics they should still push for recognition of their university by the city. They can do that by especially patronizing those businesses that support UNT. They could start a "wearing of the green" day as a reminder of support for the city's biggest employer. Participation becomes habit-forming but so does apathy and I suppose that's easier and cheaper. I hate to think that any of our alumni sit around on their hands and don't support good causes. Cities, universities (in fact any institution) dries up without support. I guess that's the MO of today's world and it saddens me.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

I don't think UNT needs to recruit Denton anymore than other cities in the metroplex. With over 100,000 alums within a 40 mile radius, many top recruits' parents, grandparents, uncles and/or aunts attended NT. I would estimate that 1 in 5 households in D/FW have some ties to UNT. It would make more sense for a metroplex kid to come to Denton than for a Denton kid to stay in Denton.

• Upvote 3

Wouldn't cost anything in the recruiting budget and it gives the coaches a chance to change the image that most the kids who grew up in the area have of UNT ( that UNT is a laughing stock )

Not one time did the guy I spoke with infer that ANY local athlete thinks UNT is a "laughing stock". I have never ever head a local athlete or a local athlete's parent say such a thing. If you talk to local kids and parents who do, then I am 100% glad they will be playing elsewhere! That is stinking' thinking' and stupid on so many levels. If you heard this I certainly hope you challenged the idiot who said it!

I don't think UNT needs to recruit Denton anymore than other cities in the metroplex. With over 100,000 alums within a 40 mile radius, many top recruits' parents, grandparents, uncles and/or aunts attended NT. I would estimate that 1 in 5 households in D/FW have some ties to UNT. It would make more sense for a metroplex kid to come to Denton than for a Denton kid to stay in Denton.

Agreed, with 6 million in D/FW, very near sighted to have Denton as the area we have to dominate. UNT and the city of Denton have had, and will always have a contentious relationship.

I could care less if we own Denton recruiting, I'd much rather get ties in across the metroplex. I think our Garland recruit could be a better pipeline than Denton.

Edited by FloMoGrad
  • Downvote 2

Not one time did the guy I spoke with infer that ANY local athlete thinks UNT is a "laughing stock". I have never ever head a local athlete or a local athlete's parent say such a thing. If you talk to local kids and parents who do, then I am 100% glad they will be playing elsewhere! That is stinking' thinking' and stupid on so many levels. If you heard this I certainly hope you challenged the idiot who said it!

Believe me , most of the kids who grew up in this area think of UNT Football as a "laughing stock". I can't even tell you how many kids I've talked to in the last 10 + years since I moved here who think that very thing. Hopefully with the new stadium , coaches and fans we can change this image soon

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd love for UNT to become the kind of school that could HAVE an "attitude" if it wanted. I do not like attitude..(i.e. SMU). But I'd give anything if we could consistently improve and be steady force on all levels...so that when a Denton kid thought he was too "up and coming" for UNT....then go ahead and leave, play somewhere else if he can. And then later come to regret it cause he learns he actually missed out. I want car loads to drive by the stadium on game day and wish they were there with us. Kids leave Denton because they "envy" others on other campuses. I want them all "Green With Envy".....

• Upvote 4

I'd love for UNT to become the kind of school that could HAVE an "attitude" if it wanted. I do not like attitude..(i.e. SMU). But I'd give anything if we could consistently improve and be steady force on all levels...so that when a Denton kid thought he was too "up and coming" for UNT....then go ahead and leave, play somewhere else if he can. And then later come to regret it cause he learns he actually missed out. I want car loads to drive by the stadium on game day and wish they were there with us. Kids leave Denton because they "envy" others on other campuses. I want them all "Green With Envy".....

This day is coming my friend, it's coming.

• Upvote 1

on the telecast the announcer said of alexander , "he hasnt commited yet but North Texas has offered and is in his sights" or something to that affect

guess he doesnt have UNT listed, but the fox announcers definitley mentioned on the telecast that he was recieving intrest from his hometown school. he played extremely well in the state championship game especially on the kick return. It sounds like to me that coach mac already is intrested. his performance probably locked up him landing a d1 scholarship but i cant see how he would choose ULM over Denton, they can definitley promise him the world if they wanted though... but UNT always does a good job gettin RB's from under the radar so i wont be heartbroken if we dont get him.

Kaylon Alexander

Edited by Adub4ever

But what about factors #1-8? :huh:

My point that not all local kids see UNT as a "laughing stock". Perhaps the time is "now" in how UNT is perceived. Think so? Hope so...it's about time. Exceptions to every rule. However, this in no way negates 1-8 as was told to me. The fact remains that UNT fans can be and often are their own worst enemy in how they talk about and support (or lack there of) their own UNIVERSITY. Perhaps the change has started for the better...what say you?

in all honesty... within the city of Denton, the cities best talent hasnt really panned out ... outside of Jarvis Moss and Herman Johnson, none of the highly recruited guys out of DISD schools have made it into the NFL... UNT has several alums in the NFL!!!! if they dont feel a sense of pride in playing for your home city, then go ahead and get on the road son we wont missin ya!!!

.... On top of that Jarvis and Herman were being recruited by the likes of LSU, Florida, Texas and Oklahoma... not sure we' ever have a shot at getting any of those kinds of recruits. But their are other recruits in the 2-4 star range who we could get but dont for whatever reasons... not to say some of those guys dont have good reasons but for the most part DISD athletes shun the U of NT...

Point being who cares if these kids choose Stillwater, SMU, Ruston or Monroe over there home town. We dont need them... I have a list of DISD athletes who thought they were too good to go to UNT but now live back in town and you see on Fry St gettin drunk...

You can get good football players all over the country. 3 highschools arent gonna hurt us in the big picture...

• Downvote 2

North Texas has many things going for recruiting any football player especially this year and they are listed as follows:

1) New Coaching Staff

2) New Football Stadium

3) Continued expanding Academic Studies

4) A Renewing of the campus (new buildings)

Those are just 4 that come to mind and I would hope that the parents are wise enough to help steer their son toward obtaining a quality education.

GMG

in all honesty... within the city of Denton, the cities best talent hasnt really panned out ... outside of Jarvis Moss and Herman Johnson, none of the highly recruited guys out of DISD schools have made it into the NFL... UNT has several alums in the NFL!!!! if they dont feel a sense of pride in playing for your home city, then go ahead and get on the road son we wont missin ya!!!

.... On top of that Jarvis and Herman were being recruited by the likes of LSU, Florida, Texas and Oklahoma... not sure we' ever have a shot at getting any of those kinds of recruits. But their are other recruits in the 2-4 star range who we could get but dont for whatever reasons... not to say some of those guys dont have good reasons but for the most part DISD athletes shun the U of NT...

Point being who cares if these kids choose Stillwater, SMU, Ruston or Monroe over there home town. We dont need them... I have a list of DISD athletes who thought they were too good to go to UNT but now live back in town and you see on Fry St gettin drunk...

You can get good football players all over the country. 3 highschools arent gonna hurt us in the big picture...

Isn't Anthony Aldridge still in the NFL ?