Texas State (12/19/10)

CMJ

I do not know what to say about that game. We barely beat that team 3-4 weeks ago, and tonight it was not even competitive. We looked to be at a higher level of play... faster, stronger, and smarter.. They simply could not compete. Last time I looked at the hustle stats at the game, I think we had about 20 assists. Not sure the final count. It seemed like each of our players understood their roles and were in sync the entire game. I hope that the Jackson State game and this one signals a resurgent Mean Green that plays fierce team ball from start to finish.

Edited by chrisfisher

I watched Holmen during warm ups, and he was nailing the 3 point shot, especially from the left side of the floor. He would hit 3-5 shots in a row from the 3. How wonderful would that be if we can have a big man that can nail the 3. It really opens up other things for our offense and makes things difficult on the opposition's defense... Hopefully tonight was turning point for Holman and his contributions.

Edwards also had a particularly good game, and looked more involved and up to the speed of the game as well as playing with intensity. He just looked more comfortable out there. Edwards ended up with 8 points, 1 assist, 1 block, and 1 steal in 16 minutes of play.. now that is production!

And of course Big George simply dominated Texas State. They didn't what to do with him.

And last, Hogans is completely beat up. He wore a left elbow pad, left wrist brace, right wrist brace, left knee brace, and, get this, soccer style shin guards on both legs. And hobbled out of tonight's game grimacing in pain while holding his left hip... I do not know how much longer he will hold up.

All around great effort by the good guys.

Edited by chrisfisher
  • Upvote 1

My bride and I enjoyed the game and got to see that Shannon Shorter was doing plenty OK. I had heard that we may had seen pretty much the last of Shannon for the season, but he looked and played fine last evening. Small crowd, but what can one expect with the students gone and it being a Sunday afternoon/early evening start time? It was the type of game I thought I would be seeing UNT play more often...start fast and keep going. But, so far this season the team has been more like the "cardiac kids". Hey, 9-2 is a decent start and actually should be 10-1. I see this team, given that it stays healthy, a conference and tournament champ...maybe even a bit higher than a 15 seed in the Tournament, but lots of work left to do.

Have a great holiday break guys...thanks for sending us home happy last evening! GO MEAN GREEN!

My bride and I enjoyed the game and got to see that Shannon Shorter was doing plenty OK. I had heard that we may had seen pretty much the last of Shannon for the season, but he looked and played fine last evening. Small crowd, but what can one expect with the students gone and it being a Sunday afternoon/early evening start time? It was the type of game I thought I would be seeing UNT play more often...start fast and keep going. But, so far this season the team has been more like the "cardiac kids". Hey, 9-2 is a decent start and actually should be 10-1. I see this team, given that it stays healthy, a conference and tournament champ...maybe even a bit higher than a 15 seed in the Tournament, but lots of work left to do.

Have a great holiday break guys...thanks for sending us home happy last evening! GO MEAN GREEN!

Don't give them a holiday break until December 23. Make sure it ends by December 27.

Sure hope it's not Shorter, since we already are going to have 3 of our top 8 walking at least a bit wounded into Baton Rouge on Wednesday. Add Alzee and Cam to the equation and we're talking 5 out of our top 10 being less than healthy. Knock on wood, but I sure hope the ghost of Theron hasn't sent his swan song curse slithering across the parking lot to The Super Pit.

And last, Hogans is completely beat up. He wore a left elbow pad, left wrist brace, right wrist brace, left knee brace, and, get this, soccer style shin guards on both legs. And hobbled out of tonight's game grimacing in pain while holding his left hip... I do not know how much longer he will hold up.

I think he has been wearing the two bolded items all season so I think they are part of his usual game day prep.

I think he has been wearing the two bolded items all season so I think they are part of his usual game day prep.

Thanks for that clarification. I hadn't realized that... never really paid attention to his gear until he started to get hurt. Hopefully he heals up soon as he has been monster under the basket this season... if he continues with this, I'll have to call him the "unexpected major contributor of this season."