So Long To The Mean Green Club Deck?

FirefightnRick

Sounds like some bad planning. Why build a deck that will have limited use. I would have thought RV would have worked it in some how if for no other reason than he could claim another 500 to 1000 in capacity. By the way is NT every going to announce what the seating capacity of the stadium is, if they are selling tickets they have to know? Not interested in how many can be crammed in Jerry Jones' style, but what is the actual seating capacity.

No one really knows what seating capacity is until the seats get put in...

I looked at what some other programs offered. Tulsa has a pre-game meal that they serve. You have so many credits based on your donor level and once those are exhausted, you pay something like $12/person for the meal. I didn't look at TCU/SMU to see what they offer their lower level donor groups but perhaps they offer something similar pre-game.

From what I could tell, no one offers anything close to the Deck during a game. If we as a program have to hoist tents up somewhere like the end-zone to house some of our donors, regardless of their financial contribution, it makes us look cheap. That is the low scale (aka cheap) way to do things and it is time to step up to the level we want to be.

If we're going to offer some sort of meal, let's do it pre-game like some of the other programs do. That way we keep temporary structures out of the stadium/Athletic Center. We don't need something sitting in the end-zone that makes it look like we didn't properly plan out our 80 million dollar stadium.

I would expect that we will no longer be using the patio for events. The Club level or space under the West stands should be able to house what we need going forward.

why do you keep bringing up other schools? we shouldn't have one because they don't? who cares? we had something that i thought was a nice benefit to those that can't afford to the seats in the cl. the deck didn't look good, but niether did fouts, so they were a good match. i thought the ac would've been giant step up from the wood framed oasis at fouts and would have been an addition to the stadium, not cheapen it.

• Upvote 3

If we as a program have to hoist tents up somewhere like the end-zone to house some of our donors, regardless of their financial contribution, it makes us look cheap. That is the low scale (aka cheap) way to do things and it is time to step up to the level we want to be.

We don't have to hoist anything up. It's already there and has been there for 5 years now and it's damn nice, and it should be used as another optional level for those who can't pay thousands a year but still want to contribute.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4

And it's funny, but expected off course,in how people who didnt get any value out of the deck in the first place feel free to dismiss the concerns of those who did?

While we're rolling out overused cliches, are you familiar with the one about assuming?

I spent several seasons on the deck. I don't think we'll miss it with a brand new stadium. The sight lines from the deck completely sucked (just like the rest of Fouts) and the food, for the most part, wasn't any better than anything we cooked up in the parking lot before the game. I also happen to think $900-1400 isn't a bad price for Club seats... and I say that as someone who most definitely cannot afford them. If you can't swing the Club seats, the regular admission seats are STILL the best deal in the Metroplex- that's where I'll be. So we can hang out together and actually see what's going on in the game. I'll buy us a coke and a funnel cake. (wait, we're still going to have funnel cake, right? .............New thread?)

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 7

Man I'm glad I don't have a handgun nearby right now. After reading all the negative posts about a great new stadium I might just blow my brains out. I find this whole line of thought amazing. It's part complaining about a brand new stadium before it ever gets built and before the first game is even played, its part about losing the deck when some of the complainers were rarely seen on the deck and from which one had a terrible line of sight to the games, and it's part about "class-warfare" where some want to pit those they deem the "have's" (those that are spending a good bit of cash to buy Club level seats) against those they see as the "have not's" (who will have great new seats in a great new stadium and who still support the program the way they choose ... which, by the way is 100% A-OK and appreciated).

Folks, stop a second here and really give some thought to this. There will be no lack of places to have an "adult beverage" and a good pre-game meal at the new stadium. What one really loses is a ratty old wooden deck area with terrible sight lines and from which some folks never left to fill the stadium seats. My bride and I spent countless hours on the deck...her more than me as I hated to try to watch the game from the deck...bad bad place ...in my opinion only...to watch a game if you really were there to actually watch the game...and we will miss it. But, time to move on. Stop all this liberal "class warfare" crap and appreciate the fact that some are capable and willing to pony up some decent sized cash to help fund this great new stadium. My bride and I are lucky that the new stadium came after all three kids were out of school and out of the house and were able to help make that donation. Could not have done it when our kids were the age of FirefighterRick's, or when were were recently graduated and starting out in our careers. That time will come for many who cannot now afford or even want to afford if they can, Club level seating. Give it time and you may find yourself in a different situation.

It is time the Mean Green Nation put this "stinkin' thinking'" to bed and came together as one in support of this project and in support of THEIR University. I really don't think anyone would say, "OK, I don't want that new stadium. I want to keep Fouts because they are doing way with the deck". Now, really folks, give that some thought for a second. Sounds a bit "odd" now, doesn't it?

Again, the Alumni Pavilion may well turn into the nest "must" go place. No, Flyer, you can't sit in the Pavilion and see the game. But, one saw very little of the actual game from the Deck at Fouts.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

While we're rolling out overused cliches, are you familiar with the one about assuming?

I spent several seasons on the deck. I don't think we'll miss it with a brand new stadium. The sight lines from the deck completely sucked (just like the rest of Fouts) and the food, for the most part, wasn't any better than anything we cooked up in the parking lot before the game. I also happen to think $900-1400 isn't a bad price for Club seats... and I say that as someone who most definitely cannot afford them. If you can't swing the Club seats, the regular admission seats are STILL the best deal in the Metroplex- that's where I'll be. So we can hang out together and actually see what's going on in the game. I'll buy us a coke and a funnel cake. (wait, we're still going to have funnel cake, right? .............New thread?)

I understand that the regular seat prices are a great value, and if one can afford the CL they are probably a good deal as well. But did it surprise you that the terrace isnt being utilized and that the lack of that level being offered will undercut some MGC members out of what would surely have been an expected amenity as part of a membership? It did me.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

I understand that the regular seat prices are a great value, and if one can afford the CL they are probably a good deal as well. But did it surprise you that the terrace isnt being utilized and that the lack of that level being offered will undercut some MGC members out of what would surely have been an expected amenity as part of a membership? It did me.

Rick

Bottom line...as close as you seem to be to the program, I cannot believe that you did not know that the Deck would be gone. It was never a surprise to me or really anyone else that I have asked about it in the last few days. However, on the other hand, I had never heard that the deck at the Athletic Facility would be a replacement. In fact, early on I asked department personnel about that and was told "no" it would not be serving as a replacement.

• Upvote 1

Because Steve, you can't come on here and voice a concern about anything? And if we get another Olympic Sized Swimming Pool some day that is a foot shorter than an Olympic Sized Swimming Pool, then I expect you to still shut up and pay up when I call you to up your Mean Green Club membership.

Don't you know these things by now?

Rick

FFR, you mean we could actually get something that is unexpected and "so very wrong" like the infamous foot short olympic sized swimming pool proved to be at the PEB? More on that...the idea with that pool was for UNT to start a varsity swimming program for the girls. One foot short killed that chance until the Pohl Rec Center changed that I believe.

Amazing what can happen when you short change yourself on a facility that you've already gone out on a limb and spent multi-millions to not get what you should have gotten for the price, now isn't it? :rolleyes:

To those with your glasses half filled, some of us had those half full glasses emptied by things totally out of our control for most of our adult lives and we just don't won't UNT to screw up this --- dream like they have so many times before because someone on campus got a freakin' wild "uncreative" hair (and that someone probably not on staff for years now, either).

Like someone used to always tell me: It takes just a little bit extra to go first class. Personally, I think our "foot shy" at the stadium is how much could have been earmarked to add another 5-10K permanent seats because rest assured, the NCAA Big Boys will probably use 35-40K to cull out those they do not want to share their quite wealthy family farm with. Former conference mate Boise will be part of their group--if Boise, then not why UNT? Our enormous and growing UNT constituency (unlike so many others) could hardly be described as a shrinking violet.

Oh, I know our football palace could be expanded, but we may have had the wherewithall to do the extra seats now with the funding formula we had. Oh well, just another opinion I'm sure shared by few, but there has to be some prime reasons our past non-progressive left footed thinking has us where we are now in the total scheme of the NCAA neighborhood we presently reside...and think about that before you hit the red number. :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 6

Sigh...enjoy your half-empty drink. If you think you have been around the program and disappointed a few times, you really are just a babe in the woods. You have lots of "catchin' up" to do in that regard. Try having the program that had the best winning percentage at UNT and had NCAA appearances under its belt dumped in favor of Title IX if you want disappointment. Get with me sometime and I'll tell you how all of us in the meeting where our then AD announced the killing of the program were lied to right to our faces! I can tell you stories that you have never even imagined...you are too young to know about them. Ha! Look, this sort of thing happens...and happens in every University and in every business and in every governmental organization, school system, military unit, etc. and in every place where humans are making decisions. Crap happens. :notfair: Crap that should have been anticipated ahead of time, often was, and was simply ignored. Ask the Space Shuttle program about those heat tiles.

One can either dwell on the negatives or can work through them and find the "light at the end of the tunnel". No one I know is sticking their collective heads in the sand and singing "kumbaya as they hold hands and dance around the campfire" when it comes to UNT and its athletic program, but its a lot more enjoyable and a lot more enjoyable to the people around you if you try to see the glass as half full and work on the things YOU can help to make better. Sitting back and complaining and pointing out others failings in public all the time really doesn't solve much.

Again, folks, we have a great new stadium going up, and not everyone associated with is trying to make bad decisions. Heck, some items I may think are bad decisions, others think are great decisions...imagine that! There are some pretty bright engineers, design folks and UNT staffers working on this project to try to make it the best they can. Will there need to be a few changes as things progress, sure,...get ready for them. I can think of NO construction project this big that went from start to finish without some challenges, modifications and compromises along the way. case in point...Jerry World!

• Upvote 1

Rick

Per the Athletic Department, the MGC Benefits Chart for 2011-12 will be out in early January. Let's please give that a look before we start talking about MGC members being "undercut" by anything. Who knows what we might be in store for.

Every seat added would have increased the cost of the stadium and, in turn, the price of a ticket, pricing even more good old days fans out of seeing the games.

I am going to credit the Athletic department for their due diligence in balancing out what we allegedly want and what we (the University) can afford and what WE (the fan) can afford.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Bottom line...as close as you seem to be to the program, I cannot believe that you did not know that the Deck would be gone. It was never a surprise to me or really anyone else that I have asked about it in the last few days. However, on the other hand, I had never heard that the deck at the Athletic Facility would be a replacement. In fact, early on I asked department personnel about that and was told "no" it would not be serving as a replacement.

Mark, now is the time to brimg it up. Not later. Once it is done, everyone will get on board regardless what is decided and final. And obviously Im not alone with this as a concern.

Suggestion: I refuse to read the uniform thread because i know no matter what I wish for, and no matter what the AD Dept rolls out next year that Im going to be dissapointed. So I dont read it. If it pains you so much to read the concerns of others who want to discuss them here, DON'T READ iT!

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

Per the Athletic Department, the MGC Benefits Chart for 2011-12 will be out in early January. Let's please give that a look before we start talking about MGC members being "undercut" by anything. Who knows what we might be in store for.

No, i want to talk about it now. You sat there and heard the same thing i did the other night and for at least two separate reasons we were told it isnt gonna happen. Now is the time to discuss it so that they know its a concern by the fans.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

No, i want to talk about it now. You sat there and heard the same thing i did the other night and for at least two separate reasons we were told it isnt gonna happen. Now is the time to discuss it so that they know its a concern by some fans.

Rick

:notfair:

I can't believe this is 9 pages.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3

No, i want to talk about it now. You sat there and heard the same thing i did the other night and for at least two separate reasons we were told it isnt gonna happen. Now is the time to discuss it so that they know its a concern by the fans.

Rick

posting opinions on this board probably isn't going to be heard or read by very many people, if any, that can do anything about it. If it really bothers you that bad, contact the people within the appropriate departments that can do something about it.

• Upvote 5

No, i want to talk about it now. You sat there and heard the same thing i did the other night and for at least two separate reasons we were told it isnt gonna happen.

Yep. I did hear the same thing. We won't have the deck any more. I didn't do a very good job of making my point. My hope is that there will be compensating benefits that we aren't aware of yet. We already know that the $125 donors can purchase season tickets (two a piece) in the same sections as the $250 donors (four a piece). If I remember correctly, the $125 donors had no such benefit in Fouts. I'm hoping there are other new benefits as well.

Of course, come January 3rd when the new charts come out, we'll know for sure. I also figure using the information in the first bullet in the bottom section of page 5 in our notebook will make our jobs easier. I'm trying.

Of course, come January 3rd when the new charts come out, we'll know for sure. I also figure using the information in the first bullet in the bottom section of page 5 in our notebook will make our jobs easier. I'm trying.

I hear ya. I hope after talking about with them the other night that we get more options.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2