Funny Thing Happened At The Army-Navy Game

KRAM1

So, my bride and I go the Philadelphia for the Army-Navy (GO NAVY!!!!) game this last weekend. Great game and nice win by the Midshipmen for the 9th in a row. It is one of the games EVERYONE should try to see "in person" at least once. Great tradition and great fun.

Upon leaving the game, we are riding the escalator down from the noose-bleed section where we had tickets and I start a conversation with a Midshipmen. he says some thing about the Aggies and I give him the "Hook 'Em Horns" sign...that starts the conversation and I tell him I really don't care about the "horns as I am a UNT and Mean Green guy. He says, really, my Dad played for the Mean Green in the 70's. We are from San Antonio. The kids dad is right behind us, so I introduce myself, ask his name and when he played. Just as he said his name some Midshipmen let out a big "GO NAVY" and I miss the guys name. He played under Fry and Corky Nelson I believe. Said he played in the win over Tennessee and was a line backer for the Mean Green. Where can i find some old rosters and recall who this guy is? Seems he hasn't been back to UNT in awhile, so i want to get some info on the guy and invite him to come see the new stadium and reconnect with UNT.

Small world isn't it? Even in Philly at the Army-Navy game my thoughts are not far from the Mean green, and sure enough the guy behind me on an escalator at the stadium after the game played for the Mean Green. Pretty big guy, but looked to be in decent shape. His kid goes to the Naval Academy. You just never know.

So, how about some hints folks...where can I get some old rosters and check it out?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

BTW...before the "grammer police" get going...The "who they is" was done to try to get attention and maybe an answer to the thread...but, maybe having to point that out takes all the "fun" out of it. Just trying to keep the chatter down from the "peanut gallery".

:notfair::sword:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

BTW...before the "grammer police" get going...The "who they is" was done to try to get attention and maybe an answer to the thread...but, maybe having to point that out takes all the "fun" out of it. Just trying to keep the chatter down from the "peanut gallery".

:notfair::sword:

I thought you were impersonating Deion Sanders.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Playing for Hayden Fry during the 75 season (the Tennessee win) and also playing for Corkey Nelson (started coaching at NT in 1982) would have been some trick. Stranger things have happened however.

I have a 78 pocket media guide. The players on the team from San Antonio are.....

Jimmy Croft (DE) soph,

Chuck Crowsey (DE) soph

Chris Harmon, (LB) freshman

Edited by SilverEagle

Yea...Silver you are right about the dates....I lost my count there for a bit. Appreciate the help. I don't think the guy was from San Antonio when he first came to UNT, but lives there now.

It may well have been Phil Minutts...I think I heard "Phil" or something like that over the "GO NAVY" yell!

I'll get with drex and Silver and see what we can find. Need to get this guy re-connected to the Mean Green and UNT.

Thanks...I'll start with the names given and see where we go.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

Yea...Silver you are right about the dates....I lost my count there for a bit. Appreciate the help. I don't think the guy was from San Antonio when he first came to UNT, but lives there now.

It may well have been Phil Minutts...I think I heard "Phil" or something like that over the "GO NAVY" yell!

I'll get with drex and Silver and see what we can find. Need to get this guy re-connected to the Mean Green and UNT.

GO MEAN GREEN!

If it's not Phil Minutts, you might try Ben Shwarmer.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I looked in the 2004 press guide, which has an alphabetical listing of all football letterwinners. Phil Minutts, or anyone with a similar name, is not listed.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I looked in the 2004 press guide, which has an alphabetical listing of all football letterwinners. Phil Minutts, or anyone with a similar name, is not listed.

I think you may be missing something...

No way, Silver...just can't hear worth a flip. Especially over a bunch of Navy Mids yelling in joy after an Army defeat. I'll get with drex and figure this out. I am sure the guy was not stretching the truth in front of his Navy Midshipman son, but I an certain that I couldn't hear very well. There is a "guy" and he has a name...I'll find it, and I really appreciate all the help here so far...anyone else with an idea...please chime in....the suspense is killing me! GO MEAN GREEN!

Since I couldn't PM you Silver....we have to make this public.

it has to be Chris Harmon.....and this would be his son (not a good picture for you to gauge). From what I see this kid is native to the PA/MD area and is set to graduate this year. There is a listing a Matthew Harmon who has a close relative named Chris (but it could be a brother) and the family lives in a suburb of Philly (Downingtown) which would explain the family being at the game. Might want to facebook him and just ask him. Well I am going to retire from helping/stalking duties for the day :ph34r:

My link

Edited by All About UNT

I think the guy you may have seen was Phil Minutts.

He played a few times on the DL. He only had 1 sack, although it's been rumored he had 2.

If it wasn't him, then I don't know who you saw.

Phil Minutts....Feel my Nuts? ....was this an attempt at humor? or really the dude's name? <_<

Since I couldn't PM you Silver....we have to make this public.

it has to be Chris Harmon.....and this would be his son (not a good picture for you to gauge). From what I see this kid is native to the PA/MD area and is set to graduate this year. There is a listing a Matthew Harmon who has a close relative named Chris (but it could be a brother) and the family lives in a suburb of Philly (Downingtown) which would explain the family being at the game. Might want to facebook him and just ask him. Well I am going to retire from helping/stalking duties for the day :ph34r:

My link

Well, as I said in my earlier post, the 78 pocket media guide lists Chris Harmon (5'11" X 190)(SA Lee) as an incoming freshman, but the 2004 media guide does not list him as a letterwinner.

BTW, from time to time I've mentioned that there was a student vote regarding football around the time that Hayden Fry was hired. I have always presented it as an official vote, but the attached article from the 1972 Yucca indicates that it was unofficial. Sorry, about the mistake, but I wasn't wrong about the controvercy and strong feelings about football during that era.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61040/m1/194/?q=football

Well, as I said in my earlier post, the 78 pocket media guide lists Chris Harmon (5'11" X 190)(SA Lee) as an incoming freshman, but the 2004 media guide does not list him as a letterwinner.

BTW, from time to time I've mentioned that there was a student vote regarding football around the time that Hayden Fry was hired. I have always presented it as an official vote, but the attached article from the 1972 Yucca indicates that it was unofficial. Sorry, about the mistake, but I wasn't wrong about the controvercy and strong feelings about football during that era.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61040/m1/194/?q=football

In the link above, click on the "next page/sequence" icon for some great old photos of basketball in the Men's Gym and construction photos of the Super Pit. It states that it was built for $8 million. Great link, thanks Silver.

So, my bride and I go the Philadelphia for the Army-Navy (GO NAVY!!!!) game this last weekend. Great game and nice win by the Midshipmen for the 9th in a row. It is one of the games EVERYONE should try to see "in person" at least once. Great tradition and great fun.

Upon leaving the game, we are riding the escalator down from the noose-bleed section where we had tickets and I start a conversation with a Midshipmen. he says some thing about the Aggies and I give him the "Hook 'Em Horns" sign...that starts the conversation and I tell him I really don't care about the "horns as I am a UNT and Mean Green guy. He says, really, my Dad played for the Mean Green in the 70's. We are from San Antonio. The kids dad is right behind us, so I introduce myself, ask his name and when he played. Just as he said his name some Midshipmen let out a big "GO NAVY" and I miss the guys name. He played under Fry and Corky Nelson I believe. Said he played in the win over Tennessee and was a line backer for the Mean Green. Where can i find some old rosters and recall who this guy is? Seems he hasn't been back to UNT in awhile, so i want to get some info on the guy and invite him to come see the new stadium and reconnect with UNT.

Small world isn't it? Even in Philly at the Army-Navy game my thoughts are not far from the Mean green, and sure enough the guy behind me on an escalator at the stadium after the game played for the Mean Green. Pretty big guy, but looked to be in decent shape. His kid goes to the Naval Academy. You just never know.

So, how about some hints folks...where can I get some old rosters and check it out?

Deion Sanders wouldn't be caught dead (pun intended) in the "noose-bleed" section.