Football Schedule 2011

NT71

Thank you. Some people just don't seem to get that you don't go 50+ yrs without a sellout and expect a new coach and new stadium to sell out.

Will attendance be increased at the end of next year, absolutely. Will we sellout the stadium for any game in it's first year, probably not.

And Indiana basketball is a tradition rich, way of life. Indiana football is nowhere close to the same passion or fan base.

And yet again, no one is hoping and more excited to see us make the move across the street to a packed house stadium, but a little bit of perspective goes a long way. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither will a rabid fan base of 30K strong.

I disagree, the first game in the new stadium will 100% be a sell out. Houston will have plenty of fans, as will we for the first game, and there will also be people from the community that will come out to see the "first game in a new stadium"...in addition to that, Mccarney is going to reach out to the students like never before, as well as the community...Dodge never did that.

Will we sell out a game other than Houston next year? Not unless we are winning, and the chances are slim even if we are, but the first game will be a standing room only sellout of 32,000 or so.

• Upvote 1

I disagree, the first game in the new stadium will 100% be a sell out. Houston will have plenty of fans, as will we for the first game, and there will also be people from the community that will come out to see the "first game in a new stadium"...in addition to that, Mccarney is going to reach out to the students like never before, as well as the community...Dodge never did that.

Will we sell out a game other than Houston next year? Not unless we are winning, and the chances are slim even if we are, but the first game will be a standing room only sellout of 32,000 or so.

Brother, I hope you're right, and I'll be there to witness the start of a new era, regardless. But we haven't even come close to 30K before, with schools like Baylor, SMU, Army, Kansas State and Navy coming to town. And Houston/Rice couldn't sell out their home stadium with schools that are across town from each other, let alone 250 miles or so away.

Again, I would absolutely love to see it, hope and pray I am wrong and eat every last word on this subject, but we will not sell out a home game this year.

But that begs the question, is it reasonable to even assume we would?

We've averaged right around 20K home attendance the last few years, do you see a 50% increase resulting from the moves we've made thus far? I don't... We're still a 3-9 team, with a brand new coach and in what everyone close to the program would define as a rebuilding year. Tough sell to anyone but the diehard fans, which we have far too few of to count on 30K attendance.

I will agree that every game after Houston depends on our record as to attendance results, as I stated in an earlier post.

Brother, I hope you're right, and I'll be there to witness the start of a new era, regardless. But we haven't even come close to 30K before, with schools like Baylor, SMU, Army, Kansas State and Navy coming to town. And Houston/Rice couldn't sell out their home stadium with schools that are across town from each other, let alone 250 miles or so away.

Again, I would absolutely love to see it, hope and pray I am wrong and eat every last word on this subject, but we will not sell out a home game this year.

But that begs the question, is it reasonable to even assume we would?

We've averaged right around 20K home attendance the last few years, do you see a 50% increase resulting from the moves we've made thus far? I don't... We're still a 3-9 team, with a brand new coach and in what everyone close to the program would define as a rebuilding year. Tough sell to anyone but the diehard fans, which we have far too few of to count on 30K attendance.

I will agree that every game after Houston depends on our record as to attendance results, as I stated in an earlier post.

Well, we HAVE come close to 30k before. We had 29,437 in attendance for a game against Baylor on 9/6/03. Here is a link to the article: Mean Green Sports.

Yes, that was during our SBC championship years, but our fanbase now is bigger and healthier despite the losing. Add a new stadium, an exciting new coach that will get the students excited, and an opponent that will have a couple thousand fans at least, and you have a sell out of at least 30k. I have talked to people that never gave a damn about UNT athletics while they were in school, and they can't wait to come back for this opening game. When we have 100k alumni in the metroplex, you bet there will be enough to fill that stadium for at least the first game.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1

Well, we HAVE come close to 30k before. We had 29,437 in attendance for a game against Baylor on 9/6/03. Here is a link to the article: Mean Green Sports.

Yes, that was during our SBC championship years, but our fanbase now is bigger and healthier despite the losing. Add a new stadium, an exciting new coach that will get the students excited, and an opponent that will have a couple thousand fans at least, and you have a sell out of at least 30k. I have talked to people that never gave a damn about UNT athletics while they were in school, and they can't wait to come back for this opening game. When we have 100k alumni in the metroplex, you bet there will be enough to fill that stadium for at least the first game.

Again, I absolutely hope you're right, and would be more than willing to bask in the glory of a packed stadium and eat every last word, just don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Again, I absolutely hope you're right, and would be more than willing to bask in the glory of a packed stadium and eat every last word, just don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

I was just showing that there is a precedent for crowds near 30k. We had over 28,000 for a game against Baylor in 2000 as well.

EDIT: By the way, I will be very disappointed if it does not sell out, and if it doesn't I suppose I will eat my words and my optimism... :unsure:

Edited by Mean Green Matt

I was just showing that there is a precedent for crowds near 30k. We had over 28,000 for a game against Baylor in 2000 as well.

Valid point and thank you for correcting me.

Can't say it sway's my opinion that much though.

And yet again, I hope and pray I'm proven wrong, we set attendance records multiple times throughout the year and this is all something funny to look back and laugh on from atop the conference rankings next year.

Edited by FloMoGrad

The Houston game should be an easy sellout. The Indiana game, not so much. I do however like how UNT is scheduling these types of schools at home for OOC. It makes it more appealing to the regular football fan, UNT fan or not, to come watch a game.

There is nothing easy when it comes to UNT football and attendance, let alone a sell out.

Agreed that the improved OOC schedule is much more appealing.

There is nothing easy when it comes to UNT football and attendance, let alone a sell out.

I agree. I believe a sellout vs. Houston is within the realm of possibility. But if it happens, there will be serious kudos to go around for a lot of folks who will have worked their tails off to get the word out.

If UNT wants to sellout the game, then the most important part is advertising it. Put it on billboards, put it on the radio. Let the metroplex know what's going on. UNT has to work on promoting itself.

Echoing the sentiments of many on here for the last 5 years. Our AD has dropped the ball in marketing our university in just about every way. But this as well may be changing. We already have multiple billboards throughout the metroplex, but what is terrible, is the lack of email marketing. It literally cost us next to nothing for email marketing, why aren't we blasting every student email account and alumni email's, just cramming our schedule and new stadium down their throats. I get emails from the Alumni association and the MGC. But the AD has to step past our confirmed fans and gain some depth and breadth into our casual fans. I can tell you that the majority of the metroplex has:

A. No idea we're building a new stadium

B. No idea we hired a new head coach

C. No idea when our first game is, against who, or where. (But in Fairness, neither

do any of us on point C at this point)

These would seem like logical places to start getting the word out.

And what about a nice marketing program, like "UNT: Where special happens!"

Sell the dream, sell it hard, and they'll buy and buy hard.

You've got over 100K alumni just waiting for a reason to get excited. It's the AD's job to sell that excitement and market it. We just haven't seen it happen in so long many of us have given up on offering suggestions.

• Upvote 1

Echoing the sentiments of many on here for the last 5 years. Our AD has dropped the ball in marketing our university in just about every way. But this as well may be changing. We already have multiple billboards throughout the metroplex, but what is terrible, is the lack of email marketing. It literally cost us next to nothing for email marketing, why aren't we blasting every student email account and alumni email's, just cramming our schedule and new stadium down their throats. I get emails from the Alumni association and the MGC. But the AD has to step past our confirmed fans and gain some depth and breadth into our casual fans. I can tell you that the majority of the metroplex has:

A. No idea we're building a new stadium

B. No idea we hired a new head coach

C. No idea when our first game is, against who, or where. (But in Fairness, neither

do any of us on point C at this point)

These would seem like logical places to start getting the word out.

And what about a nice marketing program, like "UNT: Where special happens!"

Sell the dream, sell it hard, and they'll buy and buy hard.

You've got over 100K alumni just waiting for a reason to get excited. It's the AD's job to sell that excitement and market it. We just haven't seen it happen in so long many of us have given up on offering suggestions.

I couldn't agree with you more

i dont believe that marketing has very much to do with it... we had less marketing in the 00-03 yrs...

people know who we are and how to get there I35 does all the marketing we need... its been the quality of the product on the field, and the quality of the field itself thats driven away the casual fan... a new coach should make our team better, houston is a good regional team, and now we have a new shiny stadium to play in so 3 out of the 3 most important factors will be improved.

and as for indiana, thats a winnable game vs a BCS school???? how can you tell me in our new stadium that wont draw huge???

my main reason for thinking this is the 7k vs Texas Tech... thats basketball in football crazy Texas???? we are dieing for a winner!!!!!!

i might be wrong but i expect near sellout crowds of 30k for both Houston and Indiana.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i dont believe that marketing has very much to do with it... we had less marketing in the 00-03 yrs...

people know who we are and how to get there I35 does all the marketing we need... its been the quality of the product on the field, and the quality of the field itself thats driven away the casual fan... a new coach should make our team better, houston is a good regional team, and now we have a new shiny stadium to play in so 3 out of the 3 most important factors will be improved.

and as for indiana, thats a winnable game vs a BCS school???? how can you tell me in our new stadium that wont draw huge???

my main reason for thinking this is the 7k vs Texas Tech... thats basketball in football crazy Texas???? we are dieing for a winner!!!!!!

i might be wrong but i expect near sellout crowds of 30k for both Houston and Indiana.

If you count on I35 to do your marketing, your toast. How many people from the metroplex drive up to old Oklahoma. Less than 5% maybe? Truck drivers will see you for sure.

Friend, people know where UNT is, but those 3 you mentioned for selling points, the majority of the Metroplex does not know about! You think anybody outside of our bubble knows we're building a beautiful stadium, no. You think anyone outside of this board knows who our 1st game is against, no. Coaching change, same thing.

Marketing, by definition, spreads the word about the positives you have to offer.

Again, 95% of the metroplex, at the very least, has no idea

A. We hired a new coach.

B. We're building a new stadium.

C. Who or when any of our games are.

Until you start letting people outside the program know about your strengths, how do you expect them to show up? Just magically decide to drive up 35 and see what's going on? 5.75 million people, at the very least, live south of Denton in the Metroplex. How many of those travel north from the metroplex? A little targeted marketing makes sure as many of those 100K alumni in the area, along with an additional 35K student body, whom you have information for all of those listed, goes a long way in actually realizing the potential of the resources available.

Just sayin

You can do all the marketing that you want among alumni and you won't get a lot of interest until we start winning. Either that or change conferences. Preferably both.

Until that time what I'd really like to see is the east side FILLED with students. That would help energize the alumni. It might also get many of them hooked so that they will become loyal season ticketholders of the future.

You can do all the marketing that you want among alumni and you won't get a lot of interest until we start winning. Either that or change conferences. Preferably both.

Until that time what I'd really like to see is the east side FILLED with students. That would help energize the alumni. It might also get many of them hooked so that they will become loyal season ticketholders of the future.

And you have the email address for everyone of those students, and as well, know where they're going to be at least 4 days a week.

So how about hammering the inbox of every student, reiterating the cost of the game is free to them, selling the excitement of the new stadium and their chance to build a lifetime of memories on Fall Saturday's.

How about posting those nice schedule posters in every dorm, every academic building, whole nine yards.

Students, like alumni, have plenty of options on how to spend their time, it's the Athletic Depts job to get the word out, to let people know the when, where and who.

Agreed, winning is the easiest way to encourage fans to come, but myopic thinking like winning is the only way to increase attendance, is very short sighted.