It's Official - Hawaii To Mountain West

MeanGreen61

"We're headed in a new direction and this is a really a historic and great day for the University of Hawaii," athletics director Jim Donovan said. "This is what our coaches and our fans want and we delivered."

Good move for Hawaii and for the "new" MWC. Not good for the WAC, they will be on death watch.

I still would like WW to explore an invite to NMSU and La Tech to make 12 in the SBC. But, at the same time I'd like RV, Rawlins, Neinas & Co. to explore getting us out of the SBC. :P

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

SDSU AD spoke about expansion today. I think it sounds like they are going to 12. It sounds like the next round of offers won't go out until summer. From what I've read it seems people want Utah St and UTEP or SMU/Houston/Tulsa for expansion.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/dec/10/mountain-west-still-may-grow-beyond-hawaii/

It will likely affect us in some form; we just don't know how.

Since the move has killed the WAC La Tech or NMSU could become a part of the SBC again.

If no one is willing to leave CUSA it's possible that we get an invite.

If UTEP, Houston, or SMU opt for the MWC that would leave an opening there. There could even be two openings if two of the above three accepted.

Although a longer shot, it's also possible that UTSA or Texas State could be accepted into the SBC.

And, if you really want to get into fantasy the remnants of the WAC could be absorbed into the SBC making it a 16 team conference.

Sooner or later I believe that we become affected by the addition of Hawaii to the MWC.

I can't see any teams in C-USA west leaving for the MWC. Their fans call it the Mwac now. If the MWC decides to expand to 12 teams, I believe North Texas will be in the mix, if for no other reason then a lack of options out west. All the WAC has left to pick from is, Utah State, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Idaho, and LA Tech.

If the MWC wants Utah St., I'm sure they will join. New Mexico will never let New Mexico State in. San Jose can barely keep the doors open, and California is in financial trouble. I doubt the MWac sees trips to the Kibbie Dome as adding prestige to their conference. LA Tech is farther east then UNT and offers no market.

If the MWC chooses to expand to 12, the laxk of interest from C-USA west schools, and the poor options left in the WAC, should lead the MWC to turn to North Texas.

I'd like to go to C-USA too, but I don't see this going in that direction. That said, this new configuration of the MWC (Colorado St., Air Force, Wyoming, San Diego State, Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico State, UNLV, with the addition of UNT and another school- USU) is still a major improvement over the Sun Belt.

Lets hope the MWC wants to be a 12 team conference with a championship game.

• Upvote 1

SDSU AD spoke about expansion today. I think it sounds like they are going to 12. It sounds like the next round of offers won't go out until summer. From what I've read it seems people want Utah St and UTEP or SMU/Houston/Tulsa for expansion.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/dec/10/mountain-west-still-may-grow-beyond-hawaii/

after hawaii anouncement yesterday, sdsu president, when asked about futher expansion, said utah was " too small to worry about". from brousing mwc fan boards, it appears mew mexico,afa,co.st., and wyoming want to add schools in their time zone, such as utep and utah st., while other schools are interested in dfw and houston markets. with loss of tcu,utah, and byu, there does not appear to be a dominate voice in mwc. [like texas in big 12]. i think presidents are scheduled to meet again in january.