Sleeping Giant...wake!

UNTMPA

This sleeping Giant that is North Texas has rolled over a couple of times in the past 10 years, but he is still asleep. It is time for him to wake. It is time for the "Mean Green Nation" to rise up, to get behind this entire Athletic Program, and WAKE THIS GIANT UP. Most Everyone else believes we are like the little brother that always wants to play with the big guys...But we have grown up now. The Culture MUST shift. If the students/fans/alums/T-shirt Alums (do we have any of those?) get behind this program, he WILL wake. Watching some of the games on TV yesterday...you can hear the fans of other programs shout chants in unison at every kickoff, time out, etc.. All we have is NORTH and TEXAS...only about half of the fans participate. THIS MUST CHANGE. 30,000 in unison chanting sends a message loud and clear that the opposing team is not only playing the 65 guys on the field, there are 30,000 of us they have to fight. We need a new culture. New Band tunes (Football tunes), a new tradition at kickoffs (like the "Bear Claw" at Baylor, the "Hog Call" at Arkansas) We need new stuff...how do we go about creating this?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This sleeping Giant that is North Texas has rolled over a couple of times in the past 10 years, but he is still asleep. It is time for him to wake. It is time for the "Mean Green Nation" to rise up, to get behind this entire Athletic Program, and WAKE THIS GIANT UP. Most Everyone else believes we are like the little brother that always wants to play with the big guys...But we have grown up now. The Culture MUST shift. If the students/fans/alums/T-shirt Alums (do we have any of those?) get behind this program, he WILL wake. Watching some of the games on TV yesterday...you can hear the fans of other programs shout chants in unison at every kickoff, time out, etc.. All we have is NOTH and TEXAS...only about half of the fans participate. THIS MUST CHANGE. 30,000 in unison chanting sends a message loud and clear that the opposing team is not only playing the 65 guys on the field, there are 30,000 of us they have to fight. We need a new culture. New Band tunes (Football tunes), a new tradition at kickoffs (like the "Bear Claw" at Baylor, the "Hog Call" at Arkansas) We need new stuff...how do we go about creating this?

I hope alot of players (and coaches) were watching that Miami (O) win in the MAC championship . . . best turnaround in college FB this year, from 1 win to MAC champions -- and they did in the last minute or so by sheer will and confidence . . . you could just see it on the field in playing and demeanor. IT CAN BE DONE!!

I hope alot of players (and coaches) were watching that Miami (O) win in the MAC championship . . . best turnaround in college FB this year, from 1 win to MAC champions -- and they did in the last minute or so by sheer will and confidence . . . you could just see it on the field in playing and demeanor. IT CAN BE DONE!!

Especially in conferences like the MAC and the Belt. Hopefully winning 3 conference games will help with the confidence factor.

Also, yelling at the giant won't help, as he has had earplugs in for a very long time. It is going to take a lot of fans to physically pick him up and put him on his feet to get him out of his slumber.

Its about ideas. Capturing a ton of ideas from the mass - student body, alums, community, consultants. These need to be funneled through a few channels:

Athletic department - who is the collector there

Talons - who is the collector here

Green Brigade - who is the collector here

Alumni - alumni association - who is the collector here

Once all the ideas are gathered a few strategic efforts need to be implemented for the dawning of our new age. For example, at the basketball games I love in the alma mater when they yell "who" towards the end. Very cool.

Go laser focus with a few good ideas and then we need education:

How about a yell practice at the stadium the night before the games? I have loved hanging in Denton after the bball games this month. I plan on heading up the nights before in the fall and grabbing a room at the Mean Green hotel. I love the Best Western out by Golden Triangle - very nice - how about a negotiated Alumni rate and we have a Mean Green breakfast before heading out for the tailgate. I have been visting Lucky Lous for a Mean Green victory tap every game this month and that patio is awesome - how about a Mean Green post game party there or some restaurant where the diehards and new friends of the MG can gather after the game.

To me it is about community and in order to create the feel of the Mean Green community everybody needs to feel they have a place to go, gather, share, and celebrate. Communities emerge but in our case with our new age on the horizon and 8 months to plan, we have an opportunity to organize these communal efforts with some stategic organization.

Point People

Idea Generation

Meetings between Point People/groups

Education

Execution

Where do I sign up:)

GMG

Its about ideas. Capturing a ton of ideas from the mass - student body, alums, community, consultants. These need to be funneled through a few channels:

Athletic department - who is the collector there

Talons - who is the collector here

Green Brigade - who is the collector here

Alumni - alumni association - who is the collector here

Once all the ideas are gathered a few strategic efforts need to be implemented for the dawning of our new age. For example, at the basketball games I love in the alma mater when they yell "who" towards the end. Very cool.

Go laser focus with a few good ideas and then we need education:

How about a yell practice at the stadium the night before the games? I have loved hanging in Denton after the bball games this month. I plan on heading up the nights before in the fall and grabbing a room at the Mean Green hotel. I love the Best Western out by Golden Triangle - very nice - how about a negotiated Alumni rate and we have a Mean Green breakfast before heading out for the tailgate. I have been visting Lucky Lous for a Mean Green victory tap every game this month and that patio is awesome - how about a Mean Green post game party there or some restaurant where the diehards and new friends of the MG can gather after the game.

To me it is about community and in order to create the feel of the Mean Green community everybody needs to feel they have a place to go, gather, share, and celebrate. Communities emerge but in our case with our new age on the horizon and 8 months to plan, we have an opportunity to organize these communal efforts with some stategic organization.

Point People

Idea Generation

Meetings between Point People/groups

Education

Execution

Where do I sign up:)

GMG

Don't know if anything like this is on the Athletic Department's radar right now (they are worried about producing on the field). Should this be a "grass roots" initiative that could be presented to the AD, maybe the Taonls come up with a "new" direction? Traditions get started, not because the AD starts them (necessarily), but because the fans and spirit groups start them. Yell practice is a great idea.

Nothing hooks students like a network of non-students telling them what to do and how to cheer. I know we all want to walk in and change these traditions ourselves, but the students need to be the drivers, not us. They're doing more and more every year -- so encourage them, don't bully them or try to shout them down.

• Upvote 3

Nothing hooks students like a network of non-students telling them what to do and how to cheer. I know we all want to walk in and change these traditions ourselves, but the students need to be the drivers, not us. They're doing more and more every year -- so encourage them, don't bully them or try to shout them down.

Ditto... Nothing would make me happier than to see some way to implement the classic Iron Claw move in homage to the Von Erich clan... but alas it's the student body that needs to bring it in....

Don't let Todge see this thread....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1