Is Smu Really That Good?

agw0038

I was giving some reasons why recruits might choose SMU over UNT is all. I like UNT. I grew up in Denton and took some classes at UNT. I'm not trying to bash UNT. There is really no need to attack me.

Yes, because if we insult you well enough, your team loses its bowl bid and we get to add 4 wins to our ledger for the season.

You suck.

Kyle Padron has pro potential written all over him

tap the brakes, dude.

june jones is awesome, but his qb's are good because of the system. i think it's genius that he talks to the qb's after every play, this way he can tell them things he sees going on and suggest where to throw the ball.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

I have 2 SMU graduates that report to me at work, your 3rd point is funny. Go home now, mommy is calling.

I don't want to diminish the SMU degree either. As I say it's not where you get your degree...it's what is between the ears. His comment had nothing to do with athletics. It was just a douchey thing to say in my opinion.

Im sitting watching the CUSA championship game and I still cant believe it. Was SMU really that good this year? How did they get by U of H?

If we played them would we even have a chance? Has SMU widened the gap that much? Is there talent better than ours? Anybody have any perspective as what a recruit is thinking when he makes his mind up to go to SMU instead of UNT? (or is a recruit considering SMU way out of our league?)

Somebody help me out please

Way out of our league? :rolleyes: Gimmeee' a freakin' break! :lol:

Yet.......it's all temporary over there because:

The Rising Star North of Univ. Park Is Fixin' To Take Its

New Stage & Be The New Marquee Attraction

in the, uh, "North Texas" Metroplex!

Put That In 3 Inch Headlines, Babe-eeeeeeeeeee!

(I also can't wait till we show 'em what a real on campus football stadium looks like and one whose capacity is half full of

green-clad NT students--the other half green-clad NT Exes/MG fans & "HELLSBELLS!..........................The

University of North Texas Green Brigade Marching Band which would fill half of Ford Stadium by themselves)! :blink::thumbsup:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

better education

Depends on what degree. Is an SMU kinesiology degree worth more than an NT Kinesiology degree? A TWU one is probably worth more than either.

And is does depend one what you do with that education.

was just listening to the SMU radio broadcast, if they win, they will play in the Liberty Bowl most likely against Georgia. If they lose, probably will play in the Armed Forces Bowl in their home stadium (Ford Stadium).

And they still won't sell out to their fans.

SMU has improved yes, but once Jones leaves, will they be able to maintain the momentum?

We can keep putting -1s on people who point it out, but SMU outranks UNT as an educational institution. U.S. News has SMU ranked at 56 and doesn't rank UNT at all.

But when you look at the cost of going to SMU ($37,000) vs UNT ($7,600 in state), UNT does pretty well. For those of us who paid our own way, paying 20% as much to get a degree made a lot of sense.

For those who don't pay their own way (such as scholarship athletes), SMU is going to look pretty good in comparison to us. It's a fact of life.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We can keep putting -1s on people who point it out, but SMU outranks UNT as an educational institution. U.S. News has SMU ranked at 56 and doesn't rank UNT at all.

But when you look at the cost of going to SMU ($37,000) vs UNT ($7,600 in state), UNT does pretty well. For those of us who paid our own way, paying 20% as much to get a degree made a lot of sense.

For those who don't pay their own way (such as scholarship athletes), SMU is going to look pretty good in comparison to us. It's a fact of life.

The USNWR rankings are basically bogus. One of the largest factors is money donated back to the school by alumni and another is percentage of total alumni who are members of the alumni association. This automatically skews private schools higher. I'm not saying SMU doesn't have great education programs as it does, but USNWR at best a poor ranking system.

I think the most important thing an SMU undergrad would have over a NT one is the connections into SMU's network. During the 70s when SMU's accounting program was not even accredited, SMU grads still were hired in very successful firms.

The USNWR rankings are basically bogus. One of the largest factors is money donated back to the school by alumni and another is percentage of total alumni who are members of the alumni association. This automatically skews private schools higher. I'm not saying SMU doesn't have great education programs as it does, but USNWR at best a poor ranking system.

I think the most important thing an SMU undergrad would have over a NT one is the connections into SMU's network. During the 70s when SMU's accounting program was not even accredited, SMU grads still were hired in very successful firms.

actually in a capitalist society alumni giving should count for something.....because it shows that graduates of that school have achieved the success to be able to give back and more importantly they were satisfied enough with their time at that university and with the results of their education there that they are willing to give their hard earned dollars back

there are many flaws with the US news rankings like the % accepted because it is entirely out of the control of the university how many applicants apply and how well prepared those applicants are for meeting the admissions requirements

Peer assessments would actually mean something......if college faculty and administrations still had ethics.....high school counselor opinions are useless for high schoolers much less for a university assessment....that should not even be counted

another that is easy to game is the number of classes under 20 students so universities can shift a few students around and get many smaller classes and if the can still keep most classes under 50 students they will not pay a rankings price

faculty compensation should probably not be in there because of the dramatic differences in cost of living for many areas of the USA especially urban VS rural

oh...and the US News does not count alumni association membership in their rankings so that is irrelevant

• Downvote 1

UH's team speed will probably be a major concern at the our stadium opener next September, but I guess its too early to really talk about that game (although many of us will). :sick:

DJ Plummy Plum Plum.....it might be too soon for some to make a post on the game.....but there is no topic that you could ever comment on too soon

I miss the colors and fonts

1zbtbi9.gif

DJ Plummy Plum Plum.....it might be too soon for some to make a post on the game.....but there is no topic that you could ever comment on too soon

I miss the colors and fonts

1zbtbi9.gif

:sword: Excuse me, I was working on some of my fencing technique but...

I've heard pro :thumbsup: and I've heard con :thumbdown: on my jumbo colored letters but knowing me like the way I think I know me :blink: I suppose I will just stay neutral on most things and try to post mostly normal letters from the keyboard. :D And I'll try not to show this as-s much, either, from now on. :ass:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen