Way Back Machine

Cowtown

After hearing McCarney talk, the similarity to the late great Jim Wacker has been made by many. It got me to thinking about the man. Wacker had a weekly TV show where no matter what the score, or how bad TCU got beat, he would always be positive and pumped up. I did a search and found this gem. Keep in mind that we (at the time were NTSU) beat TCU. Also soak in how awesome the old school unis looked (both NT & TCU) and how dang big the shoulder pads were.

Enjoy

Wacker Show TCU v NTSU

After hearing McCarney talk, the similarity to the late great Jim Wacker has been made by many. It got me to thinking about the man. Wacker had a weekly TV show where no matter what the score, or how bad TCU got beat, he would always be positive and pumped up. I did a search and found this gem. Keep in mind that we (at the time were NTSU) beat TCU. Also soak in how awesome the old school unis looked (both NT & TCU) and how dang big the shoulder pads were.

Enjoy

Wacker Show TCU v NTSU

Good, good stuff. At the very end you can hear the NT band playing the same music they play now. Nice.

I may be wrong, and I probably am. But I think this is the team that Steve Williams (aka Stone Cold Steve Austin) played on. Is it FFR?

It is indeed! And here is the front of the Startlegram Sports Page with you know who recovering the last fumble that sealed the win for the Mean Green. ntvstcu865_383x500.jpg

I love hearing "Fly Like An Eagle" in the background as the team seals the victory. People think our band just came up with that over night or something, not realizing it's part of our tradition. In '86 Tcu was two years removed from being a ranked team and one win away over Texas of winning the SWC and representing it at the Cotton Bowl. Considering we were 1-AA this was one of our greatest accomplishments during those 12 1-AA years.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Right there with you TFL. I didnt appreciate them at the time, but having suffered through 16 years of off and on suck, those late 80's unis are sweet. Bring back the grey pants. Furthermore the Frogs should roll out the Flying T once a year.

I love those helmets. They're still my favorite. Love that shade of green, the wide stripes on the pants. I miss those uniforms.

I love those helmets. They're still my favorite. Love that shade of green, the wide stripes on the pants. I miss those uniforms.

I've become a big fan of the current kelly green and would love to see pants with the wide stripes like these. Not real fond of the gray pants, but love the stripes. Those helmets are a close second to the "stylized eagle" of the 1970's. The current SOW would be a favorite if they would put it on the helmet.

• Upvote 2

wow this is great stuff man... its crazy seeing a North Texas team running the wishbone... they definitley looked like a bunch of hard nose players that represented us well. I love the helmets and grey pants too... i wish we had throwbacks but im sure most would probably prefer the flying worm.

Corky ran his offense out of all kinds of different sets. One play we would be in the bone, next the veer, next we might have no back at all with 4 or 5 wideouts? Like Silver say's, when it came to facing a vast superior funded/supported opponent Corky showed up with his "I didn't come here to lose" shirt on. We won this game in '86, and came away from a shanked punt at the end of the game from having a shot at beating them the next year as well in '87.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

It is indeed! And here is the front of the Startlegram Sports Page with you know who recovering the last fumble that sealed the win for the Mean Green. ntvstcu865_383x500.jpg

I love hearing "Fly Like An Eagle" in the background as the team seals the victory. People think our band just came up with that over night or something, not realizing it's part of our tradition. In '86 Tcu was two years removed from being a ranked team and one win away over Texas of winning the SWC and representing it at the Cotton Bowl. Considering we were 1-AA this was one of our greatest accomplishments during those 12 1-AA years.

Rick

Where can I find a larger image of that picture?