Troy Message Board

AndersonUNT

A few more:

"That is a problem. North Texas is a much bigger school with a lot more money as well. All the tools are in place for them to be good, they just got off track hiring a high school coach. We need to hit the recruiting trail hard in the next couple of years too keep pace."

"I would be glad to get them out of the Sun Belt , they are a sleeping giant in here right now."

"Yeah unfortunately Troy doesn't exactly have alumni like Don Henley, Meatloaf and Anne Rice."

Thanks for the links.

"Yeah unfortunately Troy doesn't exactly have alumni like Don Henley, Meatloaf and Anne Rice."

Perhaps not, but they do boast 2 different winners on Survivor... How weird is that...??

And DeMarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora...

Not exactly Meatloaf true, but...

Edited by McKinneyMiner

I think they are just facing up to reality. I think NT's has the ability to dominate the Belt or move on. The big disadvantage that NT has had versus the Belt is that all the other teams receive state funds and obviously NT erred tremendously in the Dodge hire. MTSU, WKU and the Florida schools have been receiving more via student fees plus having state funding for athletics. Little Troy although not having great revenues has been able to compete with their unique recruiting and I think good coaching. The recently enacted student fees at NT and the probable substantial reduction in state funds for the rest of the Belt will give NT the economic advantage to go with NT other strengths. .

I am not as enamored with RV as many but he has to be given credit, he has grown this program although he has benefited greatly from three straight athletic friendly presidents. Unfortunately, I don't think the Belt is ultimately who NT must be successful against, it is the Western Division of CUSA. NT's real competition is Houston, UTEP, SMU, Tulsa, Rice and to a lesser extent La Tech, Of course, NT has really not shown anything on the field yet and there will be a lot of bumps, but in my 40+ years of following NT, I do believe the time is finally here. There are only two times when NT had both basketball and football going in the right direction. When I was in school with the Ramsey, Greene, Shanklin, Hardman, and many others football team and the MVC basketball team that included Whitaker, Winfield and Hamilton. Both teams in my view were the best in NT history. The other time was the Fry and Blakeley led football and basketball teams. Both those eras lacked what NT currently has, an administration that really backs athletics.