The Shakeup

StealthEagle84

Realignment dominoes send TCU to the Big East, and the MWC back to the drawing board

"It's also a huge loss for the Mountain West, which has now seen all three of its bellwether football schools – Utah (en route to the Pac-12 in 2011), BYU (going independent in 2011) and now TCU – make plans to bolt the league in the last six months, taking the conference's already slim hopes of earning an automatic BCS bid along with them. Essentially, the falling dominoes from the Pac-10's expansion into Utah have left the MWC as the New WAC: Boise State comes aboard next year to become overlord of a new league the in-crowd doesn't respect, followed by fellow WAC refugees Fresno State, Hawaii and Nevada in 2012.

That's a lot of energy expended to run in place. But compared to the alternative, running in place doesn't look so bad.

The next question: With nine teams in place for football, does the Big East go looking for a tenth? And if it does, does it dare add an 18th member to the bloated basketball lineup – say, Central Florida or Memphis – or does it try to promote from within with longtime hoops member Villanova? Stay tuned for the answer to these exciting questions and more on the next edition of College Football "Risk.""

So my understanding is this will leave the MWC with 10 teams:

Boise St.

Fresno St.

Hawaii

Nevada

San Diego St.

Air Force

New Mexico

Colorado State

UNLV

Wyoming

Do they stay at 10 teams, or do they try to expand to their desired 12 to have a conference championship? If they expand, who do they go after?

Also, as stated at the end of this article, does the Big East expand to 10 teams, and if so, do they draw from CUSA with Central Florida or Memphis?

No matter how you slice it, it appears highly likely that CUSA is going to lose one, if not more, teams. I think this bodes well for UNT.

Realignment dominoes send TCU to the Big East, and the MWC back to the drawing board

"It's also a huge loss for the Mountain West, which has now seen all three of its bellwether football schools – Utah (en route to the Pac-12 in 2011), BYU (going independent in 2011) and now TCU – make plans to bolt the league in the last six months, taking the conference's already slim hopes of earning an automatic BCS bid along with them. Essentially, the falling dominoes from the Pac-10's expansion into Utah have left the MWC as the New WAC: Boise State comes aboard next year to become overlord of a new league the in-crowd doesn't respect, followed by fellow WAC refugees Fresno State, Hawaii and Nevada in 2012.

That's a lot of energy expended to run in place. But compared to the alternative, running in place doesn't look so bad.

The next question: With nine teams in place for football, does the Big East go looking for a tenth? And if it does, does it dare add an 18th member to the bloated basketball lineup – say, Central Florida or Memphis – or does it try to promote from within with longtime hoops member Villanova? Stay tuned for the answer to these exciting questions and more on the next edition of College Football "Risk.""

So my understanding is this will leave the MWC with 10 teams:

Boise St.

Fresno St.

Hawaii

Nevada

San Diego St.

Air Force

New Mexico

Colorado State

UNLV

Wyoming

Do they stay at 10 teams, or do they try to expand to their desired 12 to have a conference championship? If they expand, who do they go after?

Also, as stated at the end of this article, does the Big East expand to 10 teams, and if so, do they draw from CUSA with Central Florida or Memphis?

No matter how you slice it, it appears highly likely that CUSA is going to lose one, if not more, teams. I think this bodes well for UNT.

If an intact Western USA spot looks unlikely, I'd love to see a Eastern MWC consisting of Houston, NT, NM, CSU, AF, and Wyoming. Oh well, it never hurts to dream. :D .

• Upvote 1

Upon further review :rolleyes: it might be a good thing for the Metroplex to have 3 schools in 3 different conferences.

TCU found out that being in certain conferences with certain schools only dragged you down to those team's level, but the MWC will most always aim higher IMO.

The MWC will continue to have a BCS presence and CUSA will still keep trying to revive old SWC memories and that being an SWC without a UT and TAMU.

Two 6 team MWC divisions sounds good to me.

GMG!

I think the Big East is hoping that Villanova will make the jump to D1 so that they can simply promote a member school from within and won't have to go looking for anyone...

If Villanova wins a 2nd consecutive FCS title I think they are very likely to approve the jump to D1...