Whataburger On Ft Worth Drive

Boomer23

I think this right here is huge. We can win as many football games as we want, have a new stadium, a baseball program, a good basketball program, but if your own community doesn't even support you, then I think you have a bigger problem.

By the way, its not just athletics. I think NT as a whole needs to shape up into a more selective, academically competitive university. You can say all you want about rankings being bulls***, but fact of the matter is parents look at those when looking at schools for their kids. Selectivity=kids being happier here that they went to a competitive school= more pride in athletics, and academics

I was at the Whataburger on Ft Worth Drive last night and I was upset to discover that all of the UNT Alumni pictures and posters have been removed and replaced with the typical pictures of older Whataburgers.

It was a sad sight.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think this right here is huge. We can win as many football games as we want, have a new stadium, a baseball program, a good basketball program, but if your own community doesn't even support you, then I think you have a bigger problem.

By the way, its not just athletics. I think NT as a whole needs to shape up into a more selective, academically competitive university. You can say all you want about rankings being bulls***, but fact of the matter is parents look at those when looking at schools for their kids. Selectivity=kids being happier here that they went to a competitive school= more pride in athletics, and academics

Whataburger has a hidden agenda to keep us from entering C-USA or MWC. This is very common for UNT as I'm sure you all remember the pizza nazi from Pizza Inn.

• Upvote 1

I have been in Denton visiting family for the past week or so...and have been reminded what real potential we have. Denton has really grown...and is becoming an even greater city. The traffic is now horrendous...but that is a different story for another time.

Hopefully things will only go up from here...

BTW...if no one has seen the new stadium in person, the new stadium is going to be AWESOME!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

You know that McDonald's there by campus---the one on I-35 (Avenue D). At one time....they had lots of Mean Green stuff in there. As I recall.....the light fixtures over the tables....were all Mean Green (w/the flying worm) football helmets.

Anyway, as to Whataburger....I just ate at that one. Didn't even notice it....thanks for pointing this out.

Whataburger hasn't been the same since they moved their corporate offices to San Antonio. I personally think it's more pathetic when BW3 won't display anything of NT up there at the one in Denton. But the same can be said for Rice and UH down here in H-town.

In a major city like Houston, that's not surprising. But the way I see Jonesboro and its businesses support Arky State ought to make Denton feel ashamed.

You know that McDonald's there by campus---the one on I-35 (Avenue D). At one time....they had lots of Mean Green stuff in there. As I recall.....the light fixtures over the tables....were all Mean Green (w/the flying worm) football helmets.

Anyway, as to Whataburger....I just ate at that one. Didn't even notice it....thanks for pointing this out.

I remember this as well....I thought the helmet lights were great!....this was in the Fry days. Seems we need a plan by university to incrase this type of thing...maybe player posters in frames (free) to hang in the place, etc...a lot of work needed in this respect.

I remember this as well....I thought the helmet lights were great!....this was in the Fry days. Seems we need a plan by university to incrase this type of thing...maybe player posters in frames (free) to hang in the place, etc...a lot of work needed in this respect.

Loved those flying worm light fixtures at that McDonalds.

One of the few problems of the Fry era was how small Denton's population and UNT's enrollment were back in the mid-70's.

I was at the Whataburger on Ft Worth Drive last night and I was upset to discover that all of the UNT Alumni pictures and posters have been removed and replaced with the typical pictures of older Whataburgers.

It was a sad sight.

The same thing happened to the Taco Cabana right off of campus. Used to have a bunch of UNT pictures and decorations, but when they remodled the store they took them all down.

Also, my ex gf works at Freebirds and she told me Freebirds asked UNT if they could use the eagle logo in the store to help create a UNT vibe in the store, but UNT responded with a big NO. This sort of crap pisses me off...a store trying to show pride in the local school asks for permission to use a logo and the school shuts them down! Way to go North Texas...

I'm not sure the removal of North Texas photos shows a real shift away from support of North Texas.

I'll try to remember as many photos as I can.

A poster from Necessary Roughness, a couple of shots of Dunham and Miller, Jim Lehrer, some guy that played with Chuck Norris on Texas Ranger, Joe Bob sumtin from Walking Tall, the guy that played Robocop, Miss Americas Phyllis George and Shirley Cothern, Pat Boone, Roy Orbison, Don Henley, and Krista Villareal. That's all I recall.

The photos were all very old and faded. The green on the Necessary Roughness had turned to grey, the red to purple.

I bet they replace them someday, but they have looked bad for some time.

• Upvote 1

Other than the immediate area by the campus (called Methodist Flats!), you don't see much Duke memorabilia around Durham, but in Chapel Hill, it's a different story. Everything reminds you of UNC..even the town's fire trucks and buses are painted Carolina blue.

I do recall that lime green McDonald's during the Fry era. The franchise owners were at every game, wearing their McDonald's blazers.

Regarding the school's selectivity, I agree that increasing the admission standards should be a priority. It should be difficult to attend UNT, not convenient.

The same thing happened to the Taco Cabana right off of campus. Used to have a bunch of UNT pictures and decorations, but when they remodled the store they took them all down.

Also, my ex gf works at Freebirds and she told me Freebirds asked UNT if they could use the eagle logo in the store to help create a UNT vibe in the store, but UNT responded with a big NO. This sort of crap pisses me off...a store trying to show pride in the local school asks for permission to use a logo and the school shuts them down! Way to go North Texas...

WTF. We want brand presence and the invitation is there. I mean, yes, Freebirds is making money off of UNT. Fine, it'll do it anyways due to it's location, so capitalize on it and SLAM the brand into any eyes that'll look at it. That's how branding works.

An ex-girlfriend related this story to you...is she in the corporate office? I really do wonder if you have the information on this 100% correct? I have heard this sort of thing before and when I actually checked it out with both the business and the athletic dept. the story was more than a little different. Don't know about this situation as I don't work at Freebird's or have any inside scoop with the management, but I do know from experience that what is said by an employee is not always the full and actual story.

Did you actually check it out with management and with the athletic dept. before you posted the negative comment about UNT? Just wondering.

• Downvote 3

I'm not sure the removal of North Texas photos shows a real shift away from support of North Texas.

I'll try to remember as many photos as I can.

A poster from Necessary Roughness, a couple of shots of Dunham and Miller, Jim Lehrer, some guy that played with Chuck Norris on Texas Ranger, Joe Bob sumtin from Walking Tall, the guy that played Robocop, Miss Americas Phyllis George and Shirley Cothern, Pat Boone, Roy Orbison, Don Henley, and Krista Villareal. That's all I recall.

The photos were all very old and faded. The green on the Necessary Roughness had turned to grey, the red to purple.

I bet they replace them someday, but they have looked bad for some time.

Thomas Haden Church

An ex-girlfriend related this story to you...is she in the corporate office? I really do wonder if you have the information on this 100% correct? I have heard this sort of thing before and when I actually checked it out with both the business and the athletic dept. the story was more than a little different. Don't know about this situation as I don't work at Freebird's or have any inside scoop with the management, but I do know from experience that what is said by an employee is not always the full and actual story.

Did you actually check it out with management and with the athletic dept. before you posted the negative comment about UNT? Just wondering.

She just works at the store in Denton. Awhile ago I asked her why there wasn't any UNT stuff up besides the motorcycle being green. She told me it was because the school didn't allow them to use any trademarked logos by UNT. If you ever go in Freebirds you'll notice the motorcycle has a eagle on it, just not the SOW. To answer your question, no I did not check it out because it doesn't make me THAT mad. Just an annoyance

Anything that promotes NT anywhere is completely off limits. NT apparel? Nope. NT in Denton? Nope. Our fight song in EA's NCAA games? Nope. On campus promotions beyond a sign stuck in the ground occasionally? Nope.

I don't think there's ever really been an explanation why any of these are so difficult.

• Downvote 1

This is the biggest problem facing the Marketing of UNT Athletics. It is being held hostage by the CLC agreement. I used to ask stores about carrying UNT items and they all say the same thing...too expensive and too much red tape to deal with. RV needs to take a look at this area again and kill this contract.

Edited by NT80

It was a sad sight.

They also took down the Robo Cop poster.

You might be reading a bit too much in a corporate remodel.

This is the biggest problem facing the Marketing of UNT Athletics. It is being held hostage by the CLC agreement. I used to ask stores about carrying UNT items and they all say the same thing...too expensive and too much red tape to deal with. RV needs to take a look at this area again and kill this contract.

And we've been talking about this contract for a decade. Was the contract inked in blood or something? We have fewer products on the market than most FCS schools.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Downvote 1