Football And Attendance

ColoradoEagle

Watched the TCU press conference, and it's disheartening. They've truly earned where they're going. What are our steps to be in line for the PAC 10, Big 12, Big 10, or SEC in 2014 or beyond?

I know it sounds far-fetched, and it probably is, but the same thing must've sounded far-fetched for TCU when the SWC was disbanded. They clawed their way back in, how do we use our resources to claw our way in?

• Downvote 1

Watched the TCU press conference, and it's disheartening. They've truly earned where they're going. What are our steps to be in line for the PAC 10, Big 12, Big 10, or SEC in 2014 or beyond?

I know it sounds far-fetched, and it probably is, but the same thing must've sounded far-fetched for TCU when the SWC was disbanded. They clawed their way back in, how do we use our resources to claw our way in?

The university as a whole needs to support athletics and future BOR members and President need to acknowledge what athletics can do for the university as a whole.

Do not make the mistakes of the past that has shorted athletics.

• Upvote 1

Win football games, continue to build and hopefully make a big splash in our basketball program (including women's), start a baseball program ASAP, and find a new conference home that puts us a half notch closer to the big boys.

There's all that, then there's the fan base. There were a hell of a lot of purple shirts in Fouts on Saturday. How many green shirts were in Manhattan two years ago? Yeah, tough to hear, but true, and that's indicative of potential market share and conference revenue. Sellouts at a majority of home games and 5000+ at road games would get discussions moving a bit more.

This is the answer right there. People didn't even look twice at TCU until they started winning consistently. I'm not sure how their attendance will rank with the Big East. Anyone know the numbers?

from an espn article: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/4735/looking-at-attendance-in-the-big-east

32. West Virginia 57,952

45. South Florida 49,866

47. Pittsburgh 49,618

48. Rutgers 48,639

59. Syracuse 39,369

60. Connecticut 38,438

67. Louisville 34,514

70. Cincinnati 32,810

i want to say tcu is around 38,000...

Edited by radiogreen

There's all that, then there's the fan base. There were a hell of a lot of purple shirts in Fouts on Saturday. How many green shirts were in Manhattan two years ago? Yeah, tough to hear, but true, and that's indicative of potential market share and conference revenue. Sellouts at a majority of home games and 5000+ at road games would get discussions moving a bit more.

Not a fair comparison. UNT does not have the big alumni base in Kansas that K-State does in Dallas. Every single K-State fan I talked to, and I talked to a decent amount, all head to drive 1 hour or less to get to the game.

Also, if that game had been anytime except for Thanksgiving Weekend, the student section would have been packed with green, and overflowing into the endzone.

To answer the question though, I would say there were maybe 100-200 UNT fans in Manhattan two years ago. I may be off on my estimate though.

Win football games....that is basically how they did it.

Equally important is Alumni donations to athletics so we can up the salaries for good coaches, selling season tickets, and showing up for football games, NO MATTER WHO OUR HEAD FOOTBALL COACH IS!

Edited by DeepGreen

from an espn article: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/4735/looking-at-attendance-in-the-big-east

32. West Virginia 57,952

45. South Florida 49,866

47. Pittsburgh 49,618

48. Rutgers 48,639

59. Syracuse 39,369

60. Connecticut 38,438

67. Louisville 34,514

70. Cincinnati 32,810

i want to say tcu is around 38,000...

read earlier today that it was over 40k this year average (TCU). It was a 10% increase over last year (shocking that it wasn't higher). Sorry no link

Equally important is Alumni donations to athletics so we can up the salaries for good coaches, selling season tickets, and showing up for football games, NO MATTER WHO OUR HEAD FOOTBALL COACH IS!

The highest paid coach currently in the SBC is Mario Cristobal at $406k. The league average salary (not counting NT) is $282,233. If Mac's numbers are accurate, then we're paying almost $200,000 more than the next closest school, and if you add us into the league average, we bring it up by just over $30k ($315,873).

I don't think that paying a paltry salary will be our problem anymore. If Mac takes us to the top 25 and a BCS game, I'm sure that his base salary will be adjusted even higher.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1