Coach C's Latest Tweet

El Paso Eagle

EXERPT from DRC article

Canales said he was disappointed that he was not selected to succeed Dodge, but he will not rule out the possibility of remaining on UNT’s staff.

“I don’t know what is next for me right now,” Canales said. “I’m going to visit with coach McCarney on Tuesday and talk about what he wants to do with his staff, but I also want to be a head coach. I will have to see if someone is looking for an enthusiastic, high-energy coach.”

"I don't know what is next for me right now," Canales said. "I'm going to visit with coach McCarney on Tuesday and talk about what he wants to do with his staff, but I also want to be a head coach. I will have to see if someone is looking for an enthusiastic, high-energy coach."

Is it wrong for me to like Canales too much to let him stay here as OC? I think he deserves a HC job and should get one this year. I just hope it's not in the belt.

• Upvote 1

EXERPT from DRC article

Canales said he was disappointed that he was not selected to succeed Dodge, but he will not rule out the possibility of remaining on UNT’s staff.

“I don’t know what is next for me right now,” Canales said. “I’m going to visit with coach McCarney on Tuesday and talk about what he wants to do with his staff, but I also want to be a head coach. I will have to see if someone is looking for an enthusiastic, high-energy coach.”

I don't think this is actually a Canales quote because the author is using the first person.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure how this will all play out, but here's my opinion. If Canales truly feels that NT is on the way up, I think he'd be best served staying here as an OC (if he were offered). Right now, his best move is likely to be lateral (from interim HC). Sun Belt, WAC, MAC are the most likely conferences to offer him an actual HC job, and those places, like this place, are probably going to have the same questions many on here had. And ADs that just had to fire a coach will in many cases be looking to make safer hires.

So, he probably could get a HC job somewhere right now, but he's not going to have his pick of the litter. If I were him, I'd get myself somewhere as an OC/AHC that's either higher than NT or on the way up. He needs to put himself in a position to make his name a sexier one than "Interim HC of the 3-9 North Texas Mean Green." The other issue that works against Canales is longevity. Since his first stint at USF, he's not really been anywhere for a significant amount of time. A LOT of moving around, so it's hard for people looking at his resume to get a really clear picture of just what he brings to a team.

I think he will be a good HC somewhere. I'm just not sure the timing is great for him, either, if he has higher aspirations.