Canales And Ull

DeepGreen

Let's all point and laugh at ULL. Dont they know Canales has never been a head coach? Geez ULL, think with your head and not your heart.

P.S. If you hire Canales tell him not to come hug our players after you win. While genuine and heartfelt, a show of character like that would only pour salt in the wound.

• Upvote 1

The only thing better would to see our nationally acclaimed stud running back follow along and burn up the "win" mill.

It is coming and this is going to better than a emmy award winning drama.

Go MC. GMG

• Downvote 2

Let's all point and laugh at ULL. Dont they know Canales has never been a head coach? Geez ULL, think with your head and not your heart.

P.S. If you hire Canales tell him not to come hug our players after you win. While genuine and heartfelt, a show of character like that would only pour salt in the wound.

There is just about no way Canales is hired as a Head Coach this year in FBS, who could sell him to their fan base. Just because some head hunting service puts his name in the hat does not mean much.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

The only thing better would to see our nationally acclaimed stud running back follow along and burn up the "win" mill.

It is coming and this is going to better than a emmy award winning drama.

Go MC. GMG

I guess the whole "I love this school and town and want to coach here" act now transitions to Lafayette, LA.

Rest easy, Dunbar aint goin nowhere.

There is just about no way Canales is hired as a Head Coach this year in FBS, who could sell him to their fan base. Just because some head hunting service puts his name in the hat does not mean much.

I sure hope you don't have to eat your words because I don't think it would be pretty.

uhhhhh you are ULL, and the team with all the resources that should be banging on the door of the MWC when TCU leaves just let the next great thing go. Wait no, they booted him onto the street and said you are not worthy.

If the Green jesus comes in and does what everyone proclaims DM is gonna do in 5 years, why not beat them to the punch. That is why I would look at MC now. If North Texas will get better and will have to be contended with down the line, you better desire to win now. Bring in the coach who wants nothing more than to give the sleeping giant a sedative.

gomcgmg

uhhhhh you are ULL, and the team with all the resources that should be banging on the door of the MWC when TCU leaves just let the next great thing go. Wait no, they booted him onto the street and said you are not worthy.

If the Green jesus comes in and does what everyone proclaims DM is gonna do in 5 years, why not beat them to the punch. That is why I would look at MC now. If North Texas will get better and will have to be contended with down the line, you better desire to win now. Bring in the coach who wants nothing more than to give the sleeping giant a sedative.

gomcgmg

One question to you.

What do you know about Coach Canales's ability to recruit?

I don't, but I do know enough about his ability to inspire. I have heard it and seen it transpire.

I don't fall for rhetoric and those politicians that can move the masses and then not execute. People either believe or don't believe and Canales had the players believing in a few short weeks. He had me believing watching games on the internet and hearing his passion for this opportunity.

Forgive me for wanting to give the guy a shot. I trust my intuition and would never speak so convincingly of someone I did not trust.

He is not our coach. I get that. I will be there rooting for my Mean Green always. I will also be cheering for the university who gives Mike a shot. I have been seized shots in my life and am grateful for those who trusted in me.

If he lines up against us and beats us down the line, I will congratulate him. It will not have been Mike Canales who made the questionable decision. I would have loved to see him recruit his staff, team and continue to inspire a team, fanbase and community. Good for the program who gives him that shot because he is ready. He is urgent. He will give it his all, which is all I want from my coach. DM may do that. Canales will do that.

Stay tuned.

gmg

Very short sighted on many members to believe that other schools are not taking notice of what Canales did in 6 weeks, guarantee ULL and others were watching the offense with third string players run up and down the field with teams. Put a defense to go with it and you have 4-1 or 5-0 coach.

Hope DM utilizes the offensive fire power next year.

Very short sighted on many members to believe that other schools are not taking notice of what Canales did in 6 weeks, guarantee ULL and others were watching the offense with third string players run up and down the field with teams. Put a defense to go with it and you have 4-1 or 5-0 coach.

Hope DM utilizes the offensive fire power next year.

Really how do you sell that, if the rolls were reversed and he was at ULL do you think we would want him?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

gomcgmg

Whoa...tap the brakes no?

• Downvote 1

I don't, but I do know enough about his ability to inspire. I have heard it and seen it transpire.

I don't fall for rhetoric and those politicians that can move the masses and then not execute. People either believe or don't believe and Canales had the players believing in a few short weeks. He had me believing watching games on the internet and hearing his passion for this opportunity.

Forgive me for wanting to give the guy a shot. I trust my intuition and would never speak so convincingly of someone I did not trust.

He is not our coach. I get that. I will be there rooting for my Mean Green always. I will also be cheering for the university who gives Mike a shot. I have been seized shots in my life and am grateful for those who trusted in me.

If he lines up against us and beats us down the line, I will congratulate him. It will not have been Mike Canales who made the questionable decision. I would have loved to see him recruit his staff, team and continue to inspire a team, fanbase and community. Good for the program who gives him that shot because he is ready. He is urgent. He will give it his all, which is all I want from my coach. DM may do that. Canales will do that.

Stay tuned.

gmg

My point by asking that is none of us know why he wasn't picked and we really don't know enough about the situation to make an informed decision. Can Coach Canales recruit better than Coach McCarney? Well, we know what McCarney can do, we have no idea about Canales. If this were 06, give him a shot. It isn't, and we can't afford to this time.

Todd Dodge gave it his all. Most of us thought he deserved a chance. And it was a complete disaster.

Good luck to Canales, where ever he ends up.

Really how do you sell that, if the rolls were reversed and he was at ULL do you think we would want him?

FootballScoop is not the most reliable site on coaching hires or interviews. First, David Walker is retiring effective Jan. 1st, so he is not leading the coaching search, Associate AD Scott Farmer is doing so along with a search firm. Canales may have been in contact with the search firm, but he is not amongst the names heading to Lafayette for interviews starting this week.

Congrates on the McCarney hire!

I guess the whole "I love this school and town and want to coach here" act now transitions to Lafayette, LA.

Rest easy, Dunbar aint goin nowhere.

That is such as Bull**** comment. Canales can not win with some of you guys.

You do realize the administration basically kicked him to the curb, so why should he still have allegiance to UNT.

You whine that he is self-promoting and he brings the fans to the games despite a miserable season and depleted ranks, goes out into the community and then is told see you later do not let the door hit you on the way out. The pipe dream of Canales staying on as OC is sad. Canales has been nothing but classy, but all he gets in return is a bunch of ungratefulness. Oh thats right every team he played sucked so bad a trained F'n monkey could have done the same, so I assume then DM will have this team winning 7-8 games next year since he has 12 years of experience to go off of.

• Upvote 4

FootballScoop is not the most reliable site on coaching hires or interviews. First, David Walker is retiring effective Jan. 1st, so he is not leading the coaching search, Associate AD Scott Farmer is doing so along with a search firm. Canales may have been in contact with the search firm, but he is not amongst the names heading to Lafayette for interviews starting this week.

Congrates on the McCarney hire!

What is your stance on Canales being a candidate there?

That is such as Bull**** comment. Canales can not win with some of you guys.

You do realize the administration basically kicked him to the curb, so why should he still have allegiance to UNT.

You whine that he is self-promoting and he brings the fans to the games despite a miserable season and depleted ranks, goes out into the community and then is told see you later do not let the door hit you on the way out. The pipe dream of Canales staying on as OC is sad. Canales has been nothing but classy, but all he gets in return is a bunch of ungratefulness. Oh thats right every team he played sucked so bad a trained F'n monkey could have done the same, so I assume then DM will have this team winning 7-8 games next year since he has 12 years of experience to go off of.

Look, dude, college football is a business. Coach Canales told you himself, in the postgame interview, that Mike Canales is going to be a head coach somewhere. He was trying to get a job. He did everything he could, including some things that rubbed some people the wrong way, to get this job.

If he had gottten this job, won for 2 years, and gotten an offer for a better job, he would have been gone. Period. That is the way it works.

Canales can not win with me because he has no head coaching record, no one has any idea if he can recruit, and no one knows how he will run a program. He is a risk that can not be taken at this point.

If you read any of my other posts, I have said McCarney needs to win 7 games (including a victory over Houston in the opener) for his hire to be considered a success.

There were better candidates than McCarney out there, Canales wasn't one of them.

• Upvote 1

I've been pulling for Canales.....I love what he did here.

However

As to his passion for all things Denton, what he's said about UNT, the community, the kids, etc.....we have to remember that Its not like Canales was born and raised in Denton. He's been here less than 12 months. I would probably say his first interview for the OC job was the first time he ever set foot in Denton, TX. (assuming it was done here)

Give him the benefit of the doubt and say Denton grew on him quickly. Knowing what a great town Denton is, who's to say McCarney won't fall in love too? We already know from people at ISU that the guy can hit the town and sell a program.

And as for McCarney having to "think" about re-locating to TX?

Mike Canales was having the same thought less than 12 months ago.....however, an OC's decision making process is not going to be as scrutinized as a HC.

I'm thinking Canales wasn't googling Golden Triangle Mall and The Pourhouse while in his office at USF dreaming of coming to Denton.

I was impressed with Canales and I hope like hell he stays but saying "he really wants to be here" is a bit much. McCarney will be saying the same thing in 6 months.

Edited by TheColonyEagle

Look, dude, college football is a business. Coach Canales told you himself, in the postgame interview, that Mike Canales is going to be a head coach somewhere. He was trying to get a job. He did everything he could, including some things that rubbed some people the wrong way, to get this job.

If he had gottten this job, won for 2 years, and gotten an offer for a better job, he would have been gone. Period. That is the way it works.

Canales can not win with me because he has no head coaching record, no one has any idea if he can recruit, and no one knows how he will run a program. He is a risk that can not be taken at this point.

If you read any of my other posts, I have said McCarney needs to win 7 games (including a victory over Houston in the opener) for his hire to be considered a success.

There were better candidates than McCarney out there, Canales wasn't one of them.

I agree with you DM needs to win immediately, but one could also assume if DM wins here he will be gone just quick, except he will now make 3-4x his predecessor. Am I happy DM is coming here, not really but he can grow if he reaches the community, I am like you though there were better candidates who have coached and won at Non-AQ and AQ schools with +.500 records. Fran, Bowden etc.. would have been at top. Kragthorpe would have been a stretch since he bombed at Louisville and I would be ok with DM then.

Either way it does not matter DM is here and he has my support, but he must win immediately.