From Russia With Love

FirefightnRick

fromrussia_250x186.jpg

I wanted to let y'all know that we had some visitors from Russia at the Mean Green game yesterday. This is Gulchira and Vladimir Akhmetshina from Naberezhnye Chelney, Russia. They are the in laws of one of our alumns, Alex Balic, one of the other designers and builders of Boomer. They are here for a several month stay and saw their first American Football game yesterday. Alex brought them and said they had a great time and really got into the game every time one of the punters kicked the ball because that was amazing to them to see the ball travel in that way.

They certainly picked a great game to see.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

fromrussia_250x186.jpg

I wanted to let y'all know that we had some visitors from Russia at the Mean Green game yesterday. This is Gulchira and Vladimir Akhmetshina from Naberezhnye Chelney, Russia. They are the in laws of one of our alumns, Alex Balic, one of the other designers and builders of Boomer. They are here for a several month stay and saw their first American Football game yesterday. Alex brought them and said they had a great time and really got into the game every time one of the punters kicked the ball because that was amazing to them to see the ball travel in that way.

They certainly picked a great game to see.

Rick

Glad they had a great time... is it bad that I cannot think of one professional sports organization unique to Russia? I know they like basketball but what else?

By the way, I am sharing this with the rest of you because I thought it was cool to have someone from so far away who could have gone to a Cowboy game or where ever for their first game, but because of the Balic's connection with us instead wanted to come to NT, and I was hoping to keep the thread positive? There isn't anything negative or bad or sad about it at all.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

By the way, I am sharing this with the rest of you because I thought it was cool to have someone from so far away who could have gone to a Cowboy game or where ever for their first game, but because of the Balic's connection with us instead wanted to come to NT, and I was hoping to keep the thread positive? There isn't anything negative or bad or sad about it at all.

Rick

We had some people from Scotland years ago at a game. It was during the Dickey era and i believe it was the 10-0 victory against Idaho. Towards the end one of them looked at us and said "I thought there was more scoring in American football?".

So yeah, those folks from Russia saw a much better game, hope they enjoyed it.

Rick

Easy Rick.....that was a legit post and was trying to get over a brainfart by forgetting about Russia's love for hockey and soccer. Glad they were at the game and proud they got to see the Mean Green as ambassadors of football.

Rick

I had a Russian suite mate my first year on campus. He was insane and drank more than anyone I've ever met before or since. If we didn't lock the suite restroom, he would usually run into our room and just start rap-star firing grain alcohol at us, then run away.

We never got him to a football game, so I feel like this finally offers me closure on getting a Russian to attend.