Vito Reports That Mccarney Offered North Texas Job

Eagle-96

"...Dan McCarney has been offered the UNT job and that he is considering whether or not he wants to take the job..."

If he decides he doesn't want it I wonder who the number two candidate is.

My best guess would be Kragthorpe but that is just an uneducated guesstimate.

So, we should have never hired Hayden Fry and UT never hired Darrell Royal?

I was not even a twinkle in my father's eye back then, so I will defer to the senior members. But did we hire Fry because there was not much demand for him, and any big name free agent coaches were unattainable, and we just happened to catch lightning in a bottle?

Or did we choose Fry instead of candidates who looked better on paper? Unless we chose Fry because we saw something in him and not because we settled for him and got extremely lucky, it seems inaccurate to draw parallels between that situation and our current one.

So, we should have never hired Hayden Fry and UT never hired Darrell Royal?

At this point I'm shocked that the guy hasn't accepted. I thought the whole point of using Neinas was to avoid "embarrassing" situations like this.

Anyway -- surely you understand that success stories like Fry and Royal are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Greeting Green People!

A cyclone fan here who just wanted to congratulate you on the DMac hire. You guys got a good one in DMac. The guy is a Hayden Fry disciple and resurrected ISU football. Before Fry came to Iowa, ISU was the top dog in the state with Johnny Majors and Earl Bruce. Once Woody Hayes punched that Clemson kid, ISU lost Bruce and we went through 20 years of losing. When DMac came to ISU he had nothing. Absolutely nothing. Our current Coach Paul Rhoads (CPR) was on DMac's original staff and he has said that there was 1 Big 12 caliber player on the roster. Comparing that to where the program is now is unbelievable.

DMac was loved at ISU, but was ultimately fired because of 2 missed field goals that cost ISU the Big 12 North. 2004 Mizzou and 2005 Kansas are the 2 worst days in ISU history, but they would've never happened without DMac.

Iowa State is the hardest program to win at in the country. Period. We have little local talent and what talent there is goes to Iowa (Stupid Fry). DMac turned ISU around with a ton of passion and hard work. CPR is a DMac guy and it shows. The guy is nothing but passion and works his butt off. DMac will pore his heart and soul into the Mean Green program and with the new stadium and local talent, you guys will be winning in no time.

Good luck and you guys got a good one in DMac. Go Cyclones!

Edited by CyForPresident
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

At this point I'm shocked that the guy hasn't accepted. I thought the whole point of using Neinas was to avoid "embarrassing" situations like this.

Anyway -- surely you understand that success stories like Fry and Royal are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Since it only an rumor with no named sources reporting he has been offered the position, I don't see what is so "embarrassing." We don't know for sure he isn't the third, forth or twelfth candidate who have been asked.

I was not even a twinkle in my father's eye back then, so I will defer to the senior members. But did we hire Fry because there was not much demand for him, and any big name free agent coaches were unattainable, and we just happened to catch lightning in a bottle?

You think there's "not much" demand for McCarney, the assistant head coach at the University of Florida? LOL.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You think there's "not much" demand for McCarney, the assistant head coach at the University of Florida? LOL.

Yes. He is not a coordinator, and has been gone from ISU for four years. If there was more of a demand, he would be a coordinator somewhere, at the very least. If not a head coach.

And yes, LOL.

Edited by MeanGreenDan

Or did we choose Fry instead of candidates who looked better on paper? Unless we chose Fry because we saw something in him and not because we settled for him and got extremely lucky, it seems inaccurate to draw parallels between that situation and our current one.

door #1

gagree....some people can't get away from the past.

Also, I would rather hire someone who is excited about taking a job rather than someone who will question "whether something better would have came along should he have waited". By the sound of this article McCarney sounds like the latter.

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot

Greeting Green People!

A cyclone fan here who just wanted to congratulate you on the DMac hire. You guys got a good one in DMac. The guy is a Hayden Fry disciple and resurrected ISU football. Before Fry came to Iowa, ISU was the top dog in the state with Johnny Majors and Earl Bruce. Once Woody Hayes punched that Clemson kid, ISU lost Bruce and we went through 20 years of losing. When DMac came to ISU he had nothing. Absolutely nothing. Our current Coach Paul Rhoads (CPR) was on DMac's original staff and he has said that there was 1 Big 12 caliber player on the roster. Comparing that to where the program is now is unbelievable.

DMac was loved at ISU, but was ultimately fired because of 2 missed field goals that cost ISU the Big 12 North. 2004 Mizzou and 2005 Kansas are the 2 worst days in ISU history, but they would've never happened without DMac.

Iowa State is the hardest program to win at in the country. Period. We have little local talent and what talent there is goes to Iowa (Stupid Fry). DMac turned ISU around with a ton of passion and hard work. CPR is a DMac guy and it shows. The guy is nothing but passion and works his butt off. DMac will pore his heart and soul into the Mean Green program and with the new stadium and local talent, you guys will be winning in no time.

Good luck and you guys got a good one in DMac. Go Cyclones!

Thanks for stopping by and providing your perspective. Everyone around here is on edge about this head coach decision, including myself. I sure hope you are right about DMac!

Boo! No need to be rude to our guests.

You knows things are out of whack here when the person advocating politeness to guests over being sarcastic get negative reputations hits... whatever.

Edited by chrisfisher
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1