Here's What I Like Most About Dan Mccarney

Harry

If you look at his career he may well be the best in the college business at recruiting and developing defensive line talent. He has the ability to take a less heralded prospect and get him into the NFL. He had to do that at South Florida and Iowa State. That is not easy to do. If he can do that alone I believe he can be very successful at North Texas His head coaching experience in the Big 12 at Iowa State where he earned Big 12 head coach of the year honors and led the Cyclones to 5 bowl games. He was on the staff at South Florida when they achieved their #3 BCS ranking.

"Dan is a great addition to our coaching staff," Urban Meyer said. "His experience as a head coach will be invaluable. He has a proven record as a recruiter and a developer of talent. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a coach and as a person."

http://www.gatorzone...ry.php?id=14435

If you look at his career he may well be the best in the college business at recruiting and developing defensive line talent. He has the ability to take a less heralded prospect and get him into the NFL. He had to do that at South Florida and Iowa State. That is not easy to do. If he can do that alone I believe he can be very successful at North Texas His head coaching experience in the Big 12 at Iowa State where he earned Big 12 head coach of the year honors and led the Cyclones to 5 bowl games. He was on the staff at South Florida when they achieved their #3 BCS ranking.

"Dan is a great addition to our coaching staff," Urban Meyer said. "His experience as a head coach will be invaluable. He has a proven record as a recruiter and a developer of talent. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a coach and as a person."

http://www.gatorzone...ry.php?id=14435

The part I highlighted in bold letters I like about Coach Mac. At UNT we need a whole staff of coaches who can evaluate Texas HS Class A, AA and AAA talent at the smaller high schools and not that we won't get the 5-A kids, too, but the hidden gems are usually in the smaller Texas high schools. U of Houston seems to have done well with recruiting smaller Texas high schools, especially with some of those smaller east Texas towns like Tatum, Hallsville (which I think is, Newhouse's HS alma mater and the like.

A thing not to overlook here is that Urban Meyer did make Coach Mac his Assistant Head Football Coach and that is not a title thrown around for the hell of it at the larger schools.

Coach Mac just would not get us the great statewide pub that Coach Fran would have but..........that is why they have talented and successful NCAA D1 marketing and sports promotions people out there. I don't even know who ours are now but at least they will have a new stadium to promote which will make Fall 2011 much easier and maybe even a slam dunk. UNT must squeeze as much out of this new stadium' first year as they can. I hope it will cause many of our fellow DFW alums come out of the closet; :blink: well, you know which closet I'm speaking of here. :rolleyes:

Coach Fran will probably wait (again) until a much better coach's scenario opens up but he and Mrs. Fran live outside Austin as it is now. (When does Mack Brown's contract at UT run out)? :lol:

GMG!

A Weird Thought: What had we hired Coach Fran and UNT would have been his first failed job?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen