Jacob Holmen's Impact

GrandGreen

If Williams is indeed out for the season, that leaves NT with only 4 ship guards to play 3 positions. Also NT has demonstrated little depth behind Hogans and Odufuwa in the front court. To me, this makes Jacob Holmen of prime importance to the team. He is the only player of the bigs that can possibility play the 3 and has the most potential of the backup front court players to be in the 5 and 4 rotation. Frankly, he has shown little more than potential and bad outside shooting thus far. However, if he could play close to his potential; he could be a 30 minute guy on this team playing both the 4 and 3. NT can probably play a lot of games using only 4 guards but odds are that injuries or fouls are going to make that impossible at some point plus the fatigue factor for Thompson, Shorter, Johnson and White. Holmen has shown flashes of being the answer, but other times; he deserves the bench time that he has been getting.

I have no idea, if the light switch will go off and Holmen will be the hustling good player that NT desperately needs, but he certainly has a golden opportunity. Without improvement in Holmen, it is hard to see how NT is going to reach this year's lofty goals with basically a 6 man rotation. Edwards and/or Knox may give some good minutes at the posts, but thus far that looks much more unlikely than Holmen. Spencer could be an answer but I have no idea when he will be available and how long it will take him to get back into basketball shape. Non-scholarship guards may have to be used but I don't see much upside there. This team need Holmen to perform.

• Upvote 1

Agree on the challenges we face with just 4 guards, agree on how critical Holmen is to success under those circumstances.

But I disagree that he's the only option to work on the outside. Alonzo Edwards was a SF recruit for Nebraska. And one of the concerns about him coming here from JUCO was that he was more comfortable playing outside, but we need him as an interior player.

If we wind up with just 4 traditional guards, it seems that Edwards might be a better fit (just based on Holmen's outside shooting woes) as a substitute/emergency wing player.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree on the challenges we face with just 4 guards, agree on how critical Holmen is to success under those circumstances.

But I disagree that he's the only option to work on the outside. Alonzo Edwards was a SF recruit for Nebraska. And one of the concerns about him coming here from JUCO was that he was more comfortable playing outside, but we need him as an interior player.

If we wind up with just 4 traditional guards, it seems that Edwards might be a better fit (just based on Holmen's outside shooting woes) as a substitute/emergency wing player.

Have you watched Edwards play? Not trying to be smart, but this guy has trouble moving as well as no outside shot at this point.

• Upvote 1

Have you watched Edwards play? Not trying to be smart, but this guy has trouble moving as well as no outside shot at this point.

You're right about his mobility issues, but I don't remember seeing him take many if any 3 point or deep 2 point attempts.

I should have qualified it with "if his knee improves".