The Future New Sbc & With Nat'l Media Neg. Perception

PlummMeanGreen

No matter what you call the conference, SBC, Big 14 or the Whose Got It Going On Conference how about this combo of schools?

Big 14 Conference

West----East

NMSU----ULL

USU------WKU

SJSU-----ASU

Idaho----MTSU

UNT-----Troy

ULM-----FIU

LaTech----FAU

Actually pulled the combo of East/West Divisions from a Bulldog Barks & Bytes poster. Seems a bit heavy on the western travel for UNT, quite frankly.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We don't need to spread the Sun Belt from coast to coast. We need to keep the conference footprint no further west than Texas. Let the WAC die. Pick up LA Tech if we can. South Alabama will be moving up soon which will get us to 10. LA Tech will be 11, and all we need is one more to get a championship game. My pick would be Stephen F. Austin.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

You forgot to leave a space for USA who becomes FBS in 2012?

The Big 15? I don't think that one's taken.

Come to think of it why not add Texas State and UTSA. That would make the Big 17. Perhaps a little unwieldy so throw in McNeese State. We said that we'd see them later.

Edited by GrayEagle

No matter what you call the conference, SBC, Big 14 or the Whose Got It Going On Conference how about this combo of schools?

Big 14 Conference

West----East

NMSU----ULL

USU------WKU

SJSU-----ASU

Idaho----MTSU

UNT-----Troy

ULM-----FIU

LaTech----FAU

Actually pulled the combo of East/West Divisions from a Bulldog Barks & Bytes poster. Seems a bit heavy on the western travel for UNT, quite frankly.

How about a 12 team Sun Belt structured like the one below?

West--------East

ASU---------WKU

NMSU-------USA

ULL----------MTSU

UNT---------Troy

ULM---------FIU

LaTech------FAU

If LaTech or NMSU doesn't want in, TSU-SM will fit nicely in their place.

Hope you don't mind me butting in to this conversation, but you definitely don't want more than 12 teams. Everybody (even the Big Ten, Pac-10, etc.) needs to look at what happened with the WAC when they expanded to 16 teams. The best teams got fed up and left to form the Mountain West, then about 12 years later they raided the rest of the WAC, and now it's a shell of its former self. Needless overexpansion killed the WAC.

I agree with other posters about trying to get LA Tech and NMSU, with UTSA and TSU as back-up plans. I think having a championship game ups the profile of the league. The MAC is really no better than the Sun Belt, but it seems like they get more attention because of having divisions and a championship game.

How about a 12 team Sun Belt structured like the one below?

West--------East

ASU---------WKU

NMSU-------USA

ULL----------MTSU

UNT---------Troy

ULM---------FIU

LaTech------FAU

If LaTech or NMSU doesn't want in, TSU-SM will fit nicely in their place.

works for me, with utsa and tsu as back up. either 10 or 12 schools is a good number, but 14 is a bridge too far.

Big 14 Conference

West----East

NMSU----ULL

USU------WKU

SJSU-----ASU

Idaho----MTSU

UNT-----Troy

ULM-----FIU

LaTech----FAU

PMG.......great idea if we could add Hawaii and BYU-Bermuda....what you think birthday boy??

There is nothing wrong with the Sun Belt name. It could use a new logo, but a conference name doesn't mean anything.

And WTF to SFA!

The 11th spot in the SBC will be LA Tech. The 12th spot will be between NMSU and UTSA.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think the WAC would last as long as it has. The WAC branding just won't go away.

Furthermore, out goal should be at the very least CUSA, with aspirations of joining the MWC. The idea of re-kindling the old Southland Conference does nothing for me. We should working towards seperating ourselves from some of these schools. I hate the term "seperation" because it was coined by Louisiana Tech, but it is what we need to do. TCU and Boise have done a good job of seperation. We can too.

Edited by DeepGreen

Re: Plumm's suggested conference

We finally get a second bowl tie-in....and you want to do away with South Alabama? Trust me...we lose them, we lose the GMAC Bowl. And btw.....I bet South Bama ends up having a great football program.

Edited by SUMG

Furthermore, out goal should be at the very least CUSA, with aspirations of joining the MWC. The idea of re-kindling the old Southland Conference does nothing for me. We should working towards seperating ourselves from some of these schools. I hate the term "seperation" because it was coined by Louisiana Tech, but it is what we need to do. TCU and Boise have done a good job of seperation. We can too.

Until that happens, why not make things interesting that may get the attention of the national media (of which we have not come close in 10 years as a conference)?

Although our Suprme King Wright Waters has already crowned South Alabama as the next Boise, the rest of us merely want to have a few 'Belt bones thrown our way that might indicate that this league is doing things that point us in a northerly direction of going up the NCAA totem pole; you know like in national rankings for the first time in 'Belt history?

Phil, I like your answer best although many 'Belt enthusiast won't.

So have Nick Saban, OSU's president, and every other BCS elitist that won't give them a chance. If you can hold their head under water, they won't take your spot in the boat. I don't like that kind of thinking. If all schools fear giving lower-tier schools a chance is a threat to diminish or surpass them, there will never be progress in college football.

Attitudes like these are why Boise and TCU played each other last year and neither will sniff the BCS title game this year. The only reason they were invited to the BCS bowls in the first place is because the elitists fear the anti-trust lawsuit.

So have Nick Saban, OSU's president, and every other BCS elitist that won't give them a chance. If you can hold their head under water, they won't take your spot in the boat. I don't like that kind of thinking. If all schools fear giving lower-tier schools a chance is a threat to diminish or surpass them, there will never be progress in college football.

Attitudes like these are why Boise and TCU played each other last year and neither will sniff the BCS title game this year. The only reason they were invited to the BCS bowls in the first place is because the elitists fear the anti-trust lawsuit.

:thumbsup:

I'll be pissed if they match Boise and TCU in a bowl a 2'nd year in a row.