What's Next

I along with many of you am getting tired head at the coaching speculation, and while I agree this is arguably the biggest hire in my memory i'm ready to get it done.

Do you think they will have a "meet the coach" on the same day as the press conference as they did with the Dodge hire.

2. How often if the candidate is currently an assistant coach elsewhere do they start at a new coaching job immediately following the season versus staying with their current team until any boal games are played.

Lastly do you think with the Neinas involvement will there be difference now compared to after the Dodge hire regarding paper trail of who was contacted/interviewed? I didn't read the contract but know from personal experience when making a recommendation for a hire its not normally a documented process its more a review of candidates resumes' and would that info be available through a FOIA request?

I am very comfortable with the people involved doing the full due dilligence that to the best of their ability are going to get us the best candidate, it's just like when we were kids the day before Christmas waiting to open presents with zero hints from your parents. :)

I along with many of you am getting tired head at the coaching speculation, and while I agree this is arguably the biggest hire in my memory i'm ready to get it done.

Do you think they will have a "meet the coach" on the same day as the press conference as they did with the Dodge hire.

2. How often if the candidate is currently an assistant coach elsewhere do they start at a new coaching job immediately following the season versus staying with their current team until any boal games are played.

Lastly do you think with the Neinas involvement will there be difference now compared to after the Dodge hire regarding paper trail of who was contacted/interviewed? I didn't read the contract but know from personal experience when making a recommendation for a hire its not normally a documented process its more a review of candidates resumes' and would that info be available through a FOIA request?

I am very comfortable with the people involved doing the full due dilligence that to the best of their ability are going to get us the best candidate, it's just like when we were kids the day before Christmas waiting to open presents with zero hints from your parents. :)

If it is McCarney I could see him go immediately as UF is out of the running for BCS so they should not have to much heartburn if he were to start immediately, think they could prepare ok for the Outback Bowl or wherever they end up going.

(1) IMHO, I hope UNT will announce him to the Texas sports media from the veranda with our stadium as the backdrop. More free advertisement for whats happening at North Texas.

(2) IMO, he needs to be introduced to the public at one of JJ's basketball games with a promotion saying such.

(3) And then whats next? Hit the Texas, Florida recruiting trails to not only salvage this recruiting class but to amaze many with what has been done with so little time.

• Upvote 1

(1) IMHO, I hope UNT will announce him to the Texas sports media from the veranda with our stadium as the backdrop. More free advertisement for whats happening at North Texas.

(2) IMO, he needs to be introduced to the public at one of JJ's basketball games with a promotion saying such.

(3) And then whats next? Hit the Texas, Florida recruiting trails to not only salvage this recruiting class but to amaze many with what has been done with so little time.

There are two types of people in this world.

1) People who are good at making lists.

• Upvote 3

If McCarney is our man I would expect to see him stay at Florida through their bowl game. I have seen other situations where the new head coach at a school split his time between his current job and the one that is awaiting him. Often they will spend some days putting together a staff and doing some recruiting while remaining at their previous school. One nice thing about a situation like that is that each time that assistant coach is shown on TV there is a reference to "he will be leaving here to go be the head coach at North Texas following this game". That is not all bad.

If McCarney is our man I would expect to see him stay at Florida through their bowl game. I have seen other situations where the new head coach at a school split his time between his current job and the one that is awaiting him. Often they will spend some days putting together a staff and doing some recruiting while remaining at their previous school. One nice thing about a situation like that is that each time that assistant coach is shown on TV there is a reference to "he will be leaving here to go be the head coach at North Texas following this game". That is not all bad.

I don't recall ever having seen TV cameras focus on any coach except a HC or an OC during a game. DC, maybe a few times. A line coach, I'm drawing a blank.

Meant college games.

I know, but I couldn't resist. If you want a college reference, Diet Coke boy got a lot of press. I think it depends on how interesting the actual game is on whether the commentators start talking about the future plans of staff members.

I would think that the new coach would be available immediately. We would lose big time if it were another month before he reports. That would be especially true with recruiting, to say nothing of organizing and indoctrinating a staff.

I don't remember all of the hires but I do recall Fry and Dodge being introduced. Hayden appeared before a decent crowd at the old Auditorium Building and showed a video on the Missouri Valley Conference and gladhanded everyone within arm's reach. I would hope that the new coach does the same sans video.

I don't recall ever seeing that. Is that legal? Can a coach be on the payrolls of two universities? Can he be representing one university as he recruits while representing another as he coaches? Todd Dodge, per NCAA regs, was not allowed even to coach a high school all-star game once he was working as UNT's HC. I would assume McCarney (or whomever) would not be able to work as an assistant coach at one school and head coach at another at the same time.

There are two types of people in this world.

1) People who are good at making lists.

So now lists are making some on this board tense now, too, forevereagle? Well, here's another to add to your #1...

2). ...and those who still seem content to keep doing things the same ol' way which has made most of us "Sun Belters" annual Bottom 25 (or close to it) football program fixtures.....and then some at North Texas with all their "low goal" setting teacher's college'esque M.O's who still seem to want to keep hiring the same kind of NT football coaches as we've done for almost 40 years now from the same ol' freakin' vat?

I know a, uh, list that UNT didn't do a good job of culling the good from the bad when our alma mater decided to hire Dennis Parker over Dennis Francione for just one example of I'm sure many similar from all those other kinds of lists of names we'll never know what other coaches (like Coach Fran) got past over for ones doomed to failure.

We have some at North Texas who also seem to think if we just add a program or 2 to our list(there's the word again) of varsity programs and merely field a team that that is some semblance of athletic success. And to take credit for land with facilities already on that land purchased by UNT as well as a stadium we only have in a construction stage today because UNT students voted to make it happen.

Nixon also had an interesting list, too. Glad I wasn't on that one. :ph34r:

Lists? So another bad word on a sports smack board of which the mob'esque mental-giant types in all their wisdom would have also never accepted Hayden Fry as a hire back in that day based on his SMU record? We really know how to do it up right in Denton, now don't we?

Lists, lists, lists, lists........... :rolleyes:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interesting point. Maybe he could start recuiting in Florida, and if he offers Chico the OC job and he accepts, have Chico recruit Texas.

So now lists are making some on this board tense now, too, forevereagle? Well, here's another to add to your #1...

2). ...and those who still seem content to keep doing things the same ol' way which has made most of us "Sun Belters" annual Bottom 25 (or close to it) football program fixtures.....and then some at North Texas with all their "low goal" setting teacher's college'esque M.O's who still seem to want to keep hiring the same kind of NT football coaches as we've done for almost 40 years now from the same ol' freakin' vat?

I know a, uh, list that UNT didn't do a good job of culling the good from the bad when our alma mater decided to hire Dennis Parker over Dennis Francione for just one example of I'm sure many similar from all those other kinds of lists of names we'll never know what other coaches (like Coach Fran) got past over for ones doomed to failure.

We have some at North Texas who also seem to think if we just add a program or 2 to our list(there's the word again) of varsity programs and merely field a team that that is some semblance of athletic success. And to take credit for land with facilities already on that land purchased by UNT as well as a stadium we only have in a construction stage today because UNT students voted to make it happen.

Nixon also had an interesting list, too. Glad I wasn't on that one. :ph34r:

Lists? So another bad word on a sports smack board of which the mob'esque mental-giant types in all their wisdom would have also never accepted Hayden Fry as a hire back in that day based on his SMU record? We really know how to do it up right in Denton, now don't we?

Lists, lists, lists, lists........... :rolleyes:

GMG!

That's awesome. Even when someone is making a joke, not the least bit directed toward you, you hit back with the same tired rhetoric. I understand your being defensive, I too would assume attackers were coming from every angle is my posts were essentially cut and paste jobs and offered nothing either new or insightful.

Of course I say this all in love. Let's discuss over a beer at the K-state game...or which ever game you next make it to.

That's awesome. Even when someone is making a joke, not the least bit directed toward you, you hit back with the same tired rhetoric. I understand your being defensive, I too would assume attackers were coming from every angle is my posts were essentially cut and paste jobs and offered nothing either new or insightful.

Of course I say this all in love. Let's discuss over a beer at the K-state game...or which ever game you next make it to.

:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping: