Deloach's Plans

Brett Vito

I wonder what Gary was doing? Seems a bit like grandstanding or a pissing contest.

Sounds like he wants to keep his job and wants it to be clear to the new coach (whoever that might be). I would want the new coach to hire Gary - if he could just get out there and recruit some players - that would really help. When a new boss is coming to town, you have to show your value. Not the value that you offered in the past but the value that you can offer for the future.

• Downvote 1

Sounds like he wants to keep his job and wants it to be clear to the new coach (whoever that might be). I would want the new coach to hire Gary - if he could just get out there and recruit some players - that would really help. When a new boss is coming to town, you have to show your value. Not the value that you offered in the past but the value that you can offer for the future.

Any coach could have a better time with it if the team could recruit better players. A coach has to be able to coach, motivate, create schemes, etc. that help your team win with the players they have. ANY coach in America could they would be better if they were able to recruit better players. If he had defensive players from Alabama, Oregon, Auburn, LSU, etc. would he be looking any better? You betcha...

No packing his office early and declaring retirement is what I was wondering about.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 1

No packing his office early and declaring retirement is what I was wondering about.

Do we know that for sure - or is that fan rumor mill? Just curious. Also, remember that we have won a few games since those rumors started... so if it "was" true... it could be that he was down in the dumps and has a renewed enthusiasm?

Do we know that for sure - or is that fan rumor mill? Just curious. Also, remember that we have won a few games since those rumors started... so if it "was" true... it could be that he was down in the dumps and has a renewed enthusiasm?

I heard it several places so I figure it is a safe bet, but anyone can change their mind, I like Gary but does he recruit?

• Upvote 1

Folks, I think it's time for "new direction" in the DC position. I have just not seen the improvement in the D that a DC as experienced as DeLoach should be expected to make year over year. Great coaches make marginal players better and make good players great. You have to work with the hand you are given, and since DeLoach does not get involved in the recruiting process (until a kid is on campus for a visit), he has no room to complain, in my opinion, about the hand he is given. I know that OC's and DC's from other programs do not recruit "out of town", so it is not only DeLoach, but when your program is down like UNT's has been, well, part of your job, again in my opinion, is to get out and do the extra stuff (including recruiting) that it takes to bring the program back to winning consistently. I still think DeLoach may have come back to UNT to get a few more years in the retirement system so he can retire. I have just not seen the same Gary DeLoach that was the DC the first time around at UNT.

I am in no way saying that DeLoach is not a good DC. I am just saying it didn't work this time at UNT and if he wants to stay in coaching he should probably look elsewhere. Sometimes you just cannot go home again. I think is a prime case in point. I wish him well, and, if he chooses to continue to coach, some other school could do a lot worse than hiring Gary DeLoach. Maybe the new scenery will re-ignite his passion for coaching...and recruiting that we have not seen at UNT this time around.

I wish him well...at his next school.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Folks, I think it's time for "new direction" in the DC position. I have just not seen the improvement in the D that a DC as experienced as DeLoach should be expected to make year over year. Great coaches make marginal players better and make good players great. You have to work with the hand you are given, and since DeLoach does not get involved in the recruiting process (until a kid is on campus for a visit), he has no room to complain, in my opinion, about the hand he is given. I know that OC's and DC's from other programs do not recruit "out of town", so it is not only DeLoach, but when your program is down like UNT's has been, well, part of your job, again in my opinion, is to get out and do the extra stuff (including recruiting) that it takes to bring the program back to winning consistently. I still think DeLoach may have come back to UNT to get a few more years in the retirement system so he can retire. I have just not seen the same Gary DeLoach that was the DC the first time around at UNT.

I am in no way saying that DeLoach is not a good DC. I am just saying it didn't work this time at UNT and if he wants to stay in coaching he should probably look elsewhere. Sometimes you just cannot go home again. I think is a prime case in point. I wish him well, and, if he chooses to continue to coach, some other school could do a lot worse than hiring Gary DeLoach. Maybe the new scenery will re-ignite his passion for coaching...and recruiting that we have not seen at UNT this time around.

I supported DeLoach but the 4Q defense breakdown this past weekend changed my mind and I feel DeLoach should seek greener pastures. There is no excuse for losing the ULM game when the offense scores 37 pts. The defense should have adapted and adjusted to the changing schemes.

i heard about his packing up the day of the fiu game and i trust my source enough to believe it's true. since that day i've been done with him. that's way worse than gio leaving and people can't stop putting him down. that was a douch bag thing to do and sends a direct message to the team that if you don't like a situation, just give up and go through the motions.