Dan Mccarney

TheColonyEagle

(Maybe I should have titled it, "why I could get on board" but thought I'd put a little counterpoint thread up)

We have been begging for a coach with serious, big program head coaching experience. Dan Mccarney has that.

Personality? I saw the interview Harry posted from youtube. I didn't think it was bad, I actually like the way he carried himself. He's a dry football coach. So is Bill Parcels. He even cracked a joke during the interview and he's also a position coach at FLA. He knows what it takes to be the voice of a program....he's done it before.

Recruiting. He has recruited the mid west, he has recruited Texas. He has recruited Florida. So successfully at USF that Urban Myer decided to hire him away. One knock on Canales is lack of history with recruiting, Mccarney has it.

Iowa State record? the situation at Iowa State has been written about. The place was a hole before Mccarney got there and it's a hole after he left.

I wonder what Urban Myer thinks about him? Mccarney appears to have a lot of admiration from those in the business.

The debate seems to be splash hire or no splash hire. A splash hire always scares me because that kind of hire doesn't seem to look past a few years. "we need butts in seats now." We need a coach that can get recruits in here and knows how to coach at the Division I level. Mccarney can do that. He has done that. We will have the biggest crowd to ever see a UNT game in Denton Sept 10, 2011. Regardless of who the coach is. We have a unique opportunity to not have to worry about a "splash" the stadium is the splash and can buy us 2 years or so while Mccarney gets some monsters in here and starts to out coach our opponents. We haven't seen that in a long time...

(and keeping Canales here as the OC would be a helluva deal because Mccarney can focus on the defense while not having to rebuild the offense)

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

(Maybe I should have titled it, "why I could get on board" but thought I'd put a little counterpoint thread up)

We have been begging for a coach with serious, big program head coaching experience. Dan Mccarney has that.

Personality? I saw the interview Harry posted from youtube. I didn't think it was bad, I actually like the way he carried himself. He's a dry football coach. So is Bill Parcels. He even cracked a joke during the interview and he's also a position coach at FLA. He knows what it takes to be the voice of a program....he's done it before.

Recruiting. He has recruited the mid west, he has recruited Texas. He has recruited Florida. So successfully at USF that Urban Myer decided to hire him away. One knock on Canales is lack of history with recruiting, Mccarney has it.

Iowa State record? the situation at Iowa State has been written about. The place was a hole before Mccarney got there and it's a hole after he left.

I wonder what Urban Myer thinks about him? Mccarney appears to have a lot of admiration from those in the business.

The debate seems to be splash hire or no splash hire. A splash hire always scares me because that kind of hire doesn't seem to look past a few years. "we need butts in seats now." We need a coach that can get recruits in here and knows how to coach at the Division I level. Mccarney can do that. He has done that. We will have the biggest crowd to ever see a UNT game in Denton Sept 10, 2011. Regardless of who the coach is. We have a unique opportunity to not have to worry about a "splash" the stadium is the splash and can buy us 2 years or so while Mccarney gets some monsters in here and starts to out coach our opponents. We haven't seen that in a long time...

(and keeping Canales here as the OC would be a helluva deal because Mccarney can focus on the defense while not having to rebuild the offense)

:thumbsup:

As much as I hate to agree with, uh.....oh, hell, I'm just kidding! :D Good post from top to bottom!

With Dodge recruits and all back healthy I think we win the SBC in 2011, but what most of us want with Coach Mac (if hired) is beyond the SBC. We want bowl wins in the Big Easy plus we want those OOC wins which have most years merely been "pay the bills" games for UNT.

We begin our rise up the NCAA totem pole when we win the OOC games, especially when we put a knot or 2 or 3 on Top 25 ranked AQ schools.

GMG!

GMG!

• Upvote 2

i have talked to several big 8/12 fans about mccarney, and everything they said about him was positive. the feeling i got was that we would be very lucky to get him. regarding next year, whoever comes in will have little to work with, as the cupboard is basically bare.

and what do your friends really know about the culture of North Texas and how different we are from any Big 8/12 school?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

and what do your friends really know about the culture of North Texas and how different we are from any Big 8/12 school?

I just know we can win recruits with a winning experienced coach from a stronger conference. Wouldn't be bad if we kept our OC Dan knows a couple of extra years either.

explain "culture of north texas and how it relates to big 12/8 schools". [also, you didn't ask for contex. you just dismissed input without any reason.] is unt " a special needs " university?

Well, first of all, supposidly the worst school in the B-8/12 (Iowa State) averages 46,000 in attendance....and our student population is 11K higher than theirs. ALL of the B-12 schools have some sort of recognizable spirit tradition(s). Besides apathy, can you name one of ours? How about the official North Texas yell/cheer?

Spirit and tradition wise, compared to the B-12, yes, we are a special needs University.

We need to be inspired by our coach, not bored by him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Well, first of all, supposidly the worst school in the B-8/12 (Iowa State) averages 46,000 in attendance....and our student population is 11K higher than theirs. ALL of the B-12 schools have some sort of recognizable spirit tradition(s). Besides apathy, can you name one of ours? How about the official North Texas yell/cheer?

Spirit and tradition wise, compared to the B-12, yes, we are a special needs University.

We need to be inspired by our coach, not bored by him.

we are in violent agreement.

• Upvote 1

Silver, as I told FFR yesterday, I received a nice response letter from Dr. Rawlins yesterday (with a non-stamped signature) :rolleyes: and w/o getting into too much of the letter he did say this: "With this hire we want to change the culture and the entire direction of North Texas football. " I like the intent of that statement but the jury will always be out until proven in our "way too much used to losing" football culture.

I don't know any more than the next guy if Coach Mac is the "one" that has "it" for our program but the fact that others much higher than our program have thought of him being their guy (like some from Big 10 Minnesota) says we won't have an unknown quanitity and the ISU alums now posting have given us the culture he inherited of which one said was worse than ours (if that possible) and then extolled what Coach Mac did at Iowa State..............which truth be known, looked very much as what Hayden Fry did at SMU in 11 years as you compare both Fry and his apprentice McCartney's well under .500 record at SMU and Iowa, respectively.

Most of us knew our hire would not be from the NCAA "A" list of "no blemishes at all" HFC prospects because (1) they would never have applied at UNT and (2) if they had of we would never have had a budget to hire them.

Quick Hit: I was impessed that Coach Mac's ISU beat the Iowa Hawkeyes 5 out of 8 times from a program which had been established by Hayden Fry

This board had it been around when Jitter Nolen hired Hayden Fry would have had the same response toward Fry. Heck, I pushed (like many of you) Coach Todd Dodge from a Texas HS football program for our job so we have all busted our arses with who we have thought to be (as DFW media many times described it each each of their feature articles in our last 6 or 7 hires) "UNT's hopeful heir apparent to Hayden Fry."

Fry was as much a crap shoot hire post-SMU firing as Coach Mac seems to be with many if he is (in deed) our guy who gets announced; but he does have that all important FBS HFC background that is one of the things UNT will have to pay for in his contract if he's hired. We could have gone the cheaper route but our new Prez' and AD wanted to try another direction with better results than our last 6 hires have given us. Maybe at last we are losing our insanity description from the Texas sports media of doing the same things over and over again in our past HFC hirings yet expecting different results? :rolleyes:

This PM From Yet Another Non-UNT Alum (which several have PM'ed me the last week on our search)

"Well, at least you guys apparently aren't going to settle for just promoting your OC. I'm not saying he wouldn't do a good job as I don't know much of anything about him. However doing that would just smack of running a low budget operation, something that is antithetical to a university opening a new stadium. This is your chance to kick some ass and I hope you're successful!i]

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

the only positive besides experience that i can see in this hire (if it happens) is that his age would keep him from leaving in 5 years if he has success. i don't think any university that would be considered a step up from us would consider hiring a 62 year old coach. which means if he does well we will have a coach for 10 or so years giving us a little continuity on the coaching staff. if we were to make a correct hire on some young hotshot, then he would bolt for a better job in 4-6 years leaving us without a hc and i don't think rv would be able to hire two good coaches in a row, killing any momentum we would have.

Edited by Green Crazy

The more I think about McCarney, the more I think this hire (if it happens) is like the Ron Washington hire the Rangers made. Wash was definitely not a splash hire but he was a "baseball guy". He impressed in his interview and had the Ranger brass talking about what a "baseball guy" he was.

I'm wondering if McCarney had this same effect in his interview. Everything I've read about him tells me he's a "football guy". His players like playing for him, he's a motivator and he's intense....much like Wash. I've seen some question McCarney's Xs and Os. Same question Wash gets but he knows how to run the team. As for personality, Wash wouldn't exactly be moonlighting as a stand up comedian and some would say he's a bit dull but he's a straight shooter that has endeared himself to the fans. And he's won here and won in the postseason here. Some would argue that's been tough to do in TX. But now he's a winning mgr with a front office behind him. Lethal combination.

Why can't we have that same combination?

The more I think about McCarney, the more I think this hire (if it happens) is like the Ron Washington hire the Rangers made. Wash was definitely not a splash hire but he was a "baseball guy". He impressed in his interview and had the Ranger brass talking about what a "baseball guy" he was.

I'm wondering if McCarney had this same effect in his interview. Everything I've read about him tells me he's a "football guy". His players like playing for him, he's a motivator and he's intense....much like Wash. I've seen some question McCarney's Xs and Os. Same question Wash gets but he knows how to run the team. As for personality, Wash wouldn't exactly be moonlighting as a stand up comedian and some would say he's a bit dull but he's a straight shooter that has endeared himself to the fans. And he's won here and won in the postseason here. Some would argue that's been tough to do in TX. But now he's a winning mgr with a front office behind him. Lethal combination.

Why can't we have that same combination?

Thats the way baseball go. You never know how booty holes is gonna act.