Dan Mccarney

Side Show Joe

If UNT insists on going with McCarney, he better win from game one. His name isn't going to sell tickets once the newness of the stadium is over. And more losing won't sell recruits on this program.

I hope those in charge really think this through, and make a smart choice, that will both win and excite the fan base.

I just don't see McCarney doing that. I can honestly say, I will be less excited about North Texas football if McCarney is our coach. The only thing that will change that is wins and many of them. That is something McCarney doesn't have a good enough history of producing.

When you get down to it, it's all about winning. Lets get an FBS level head coach with a winning record. I feel anything less will disappoint many of our fans.

You are getting like Plumm Joe :D But, what if a big name guy comes in here and does not win within say 2 years? Those butts that were in the seats because of Coach Big Name won't be here anymore. This is a crap shoot no matter who is hired. Yes, the chances probably would be better with Coach Big Name, but it is not a guarantee. Again, this is one of the reasons the games are played.

If UNT insists on going with McCarney, he better win from game one. His name isn't going to sell tickets once the newness of the stadium is over. And more losing won't sell recruits on this program.

I hope those in charge really think this through, and make a smart choice, that will both win and excite the fan base.

I just don't see McCarney doing that. I can honestly say, I will be less excited about North Texas football if McCarney is our coach. The only thing that will change that is wins and many of them. That is something McCarney doesn't have a good enough history of producing.

When you get down to it, it's all about winning. Lets get an FBS level head coach with a winning record. I feel anything less will disappoint many of our fans.

Less excited than with Todd Dodge? We have not hired a replacement head coach yet so you must be saying he would be less exciting than Todd Dodge.

Hayden Fry compiled a 49–66–1 record in 11 seasons at SMU, including the school's only three winning seasons since the late 1940s.

Schools like UNT just do not get the NCAA Coach of the Year "A" list type of applications is a given.

Fry didn't do so bad in Denton, but his 11 year record at SMU for sure didn't get him in the NCAA College Football Hall of Fame in 2003; but one brave and gutsy soul in Denton went out on a limb on Fry--no names mentioned but his initials are Jitter Nolen (the UNT Prez' who hired Fry). There were more than just a few debates about Fry's record at SMU, too, when first hired at UNT and don't think there wasn't.

GMG!

Addendum: I read that Coach Mac (a defense guy) is a very good recruiter of defensive linemen prospects and truth be known if he is our next HFC he will immediately need to make a good impression with Texas HS recruits before making an impression with us.

He not only apprenticed with Fry at Iowa as a football coach but most likely learned much about the recruiting game while under recruiting guru Fry, too. Those are the kind of variables we have not had in most (if any) of our past hires that really can make a difference at a school like North Texas.

A school like North Texas? :unsure: Fry had average results in his 11 years at SMU but became above average at North Texas. Whoever we hire, we need to become above average at North Texas--we are over-due for that to happen.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Just looking at Wisconsin's record while he was there, it seems like he's someone who was promoted beyond his level of competence to head coach at Iowa State, kind of like Todd Dodge when he took the position at UNT. I mean, his first 5 years were not very good defensive numbers at Iowa State. I just don't get this hire, but I thought we had 3 smart guys figuring it out.

• Downvote 1

Here is the proof: Iowa State's Response

Wow! I know, people in glass houses, etc. I can accept slapping a player in the "heat of the moment", that is what I saw many times in my high school days, heck even pee wee. But a man hitting a woman, I am not sure I can stomach that one. What I am saying is that if somebody is being written off because of baggage, I think that is a pretty big bag. But the difference is that "no charges" were filed. I am sure that was not hard for Iowa State to get it swept under the rug with the police in Ames and come out with the he is sorry, gonna get counseling B.S..

I don't know, I think I'm going to side with Green Dozer on this one. If Leavitt's incident is eliminating him from consideration, how can McCarney's simply be ignored? It was 16 years ago you say....well, Leavitt was HC for 13 years with only one accusation. From USAToday.com

Iowa State football coach Dan McCarney, while an assistant at Wisconsin in 1994, had a restraining order issued against him, instructing McCarney to stay away from his wife (now his ex-wife), Brenda. According to the police report, Brenda accused her husband of physical abuse. McCarney apologized for the incident, and the school accepted his apology.

So the former USF HC isn't good enough for UNT, but his former OC and former D-Line Coach (McCarney 2007) are?

The guy clawed his way to winning at a place harder to win than Denton, all while in the shadow of Nebraska's run?

I would be okay with him. In fact, I'd take him, Canales as OC and DeLoach as DC. Not saying it will happen...

...just that my football weenie gets all excited over the DL prospects we need and would get under that staff.

We need some playmakers on the DL!

McCarney has 12 years head coaching experience in the FBS. That sets him apart from Canales.

You must not follow my posts very closely. Otherwise, you'd realize that Canales wasn't the point of my post. I find it ironic that so many of our candidates not only have a Hayden Fry connection, but also a USF connection. I think you'd agree that the coaching hierarchy is the HC, followed by the two coordinators. The former HC, as well as the OC and DC, from USF are available...yet we're listing the D-Line coach as our favorite.

Besides, there are several coaches with 12+ years HC experience at the FBS level that I'd pass on for the handful that should be at the top of our list.

I'm not entirely sold on McCarney, but I think you're understating his accomplishments. His team made it to five bowl games at Iowa State and was co-division champion in 2007. That's not easy to do in the Big 12 with the resources he had available to him.

Only 5 bowls games in a conference where HALF of your members go to bowls. Awesome.

McCarney Leavitt would be just fine here. He has built a program up from nothing,

Fixed.

Anyway, McCarney may be an unexciting name but I think if you get him, you will be at least satisfied in hindsight since I think he will out-coach many of his peers in the Sun Belt. The key will be what kind of staff he puts together and considering his experience, my guess is it will be a good one.

We don't need a coach who can out coach his conference peers, we had that in Dickey. We need a coach who can out coach peers in and out of conference.

Only 5 bowls games in a conference where HALF of your members go to bowls. Awesome.

That's an extremely weak argument against him.

The reason half the BIg 12 members go to bowls is because the caliber of the conference has produced that many bowl-worthy teams year after year. There were around 40-46 bowl spots available in McCarney's time at Iowa State, which means his bowl teams were in the top 40-46 in the country for five years. If he produced a top 50 team at UNT for five years it would be the best job anyone has done coaching here since Hayden Fry.

You must not follow my posts very closely. Otherwise, you'd realize that Canales wasn't the point of my post. I find it ironic that so many of our candidates not only have a Hayden Fry connection, but also a USF connection. I think you'd agree that the coaching hierarchy is the HC, followed by the two coordinators. The former HC, as well as the OC and DC, from USF are available...yet we're listing the D-Line coach as our favorite.

Besides, there are several coaches with 12+ years HC experience at the FBS level that I'd pass on for the handful that should be at the top of our list.

I don't know what you've been posting on this. I just didn't think the comparison of USF experience is that useful.

My main criteria for the head coach is that he have significant FBS head coaching experience and be someone the fans and media would get excited about. I didn't want to see another coach come in and have a long learning curve like Dodge.

McCarney fits the first part of my criteria great.

Over time, I've become somewhat excited about Canales because of the way he's fought to win the job and embraced the community, even though he has no head coaching experience yet.

We don't need a coach who can out coach his conference peers, we had that in Dickey. We need a coach who can out coach peers in and out of conference.

He was 6-6 versus Iowa. Good enough?

Out of conference:

1995: 2-2, wins: Ohio, UNLV / losses: Iowa, TCU

1996: 1-2, win: Northern Iowa / losses: Iowa, Wyoming

1997: 0-3, losses: Iowa, Minnesota, Wyoming

1998: 2-1, wins: Iowa, Ball State / loss: TCU

1999: 3-0, wins: Iowa, Indiana State, UNLV

2000: 4-0, wins: Iowa, Ohio, UNLV, Pittsburgh (bowl game)

2001: 3-1, wins: Iowa, Ohio, Northern Iowa / loss: Alabama (bowl game)

2002: 3-3, wins: Iowa, Troy, Tennessee Tech / losses: Florida State, Connecticut, Boise State (bowl game)

2003: 2-2, wins: Ohio, Northern Iowa / losses: Iowa, Northern Illinois

2004: 3-1, wins: Northern Illinois, Northern Iowa, Miami (OH) (bowl game) / loss: Iowa

2005: 3-1, wins: Iowa, Army, Illinois State / losses: TCU (bowl game)

2006: 3-1, wins: Toledo, UNLV, Northern Iowa / losses: Iowa

Total out of conference: 29-17

McCarney's problems were never out of conference. No Iowa State coach had more than three wins over Iowa previously. And, certainly, none beat them five times in a row. He ended Hayden Fry's 15 year win streak against the Cyclones in 1998, then tacked on four more in a row.

McCarney's problems was that he took over the program in the face of an era where Nebraska, Coloroda, and Kansas State were already rolling and perennially Top 10 programs. Combine that with the resurgence of Mizzou in the North and Oklahoma and Texas in the South, and his task winning in Ames were immeasurably higher that what he would face in Denton against the Sun Belt.

If we get Dan McCarney, we are stealing him. He's an excellent recruiter and coach. We'd be lucky to have him lead our program.

Most important of all, McCarney brings no baggage. No choking players. No hitting them. No selling of injury reports to boosters. He's clean and he built a winner in one of the top two BCS conferences.

If it's not going to be Canales, and McCarney is willing to take the job for what we pay, then hire him yesterday.

Here is the proof: Iowa State's Response

Wow! I know, people in glass houses, etc. I can accept slapping a player in the "heat of the moment", that is what I saw many times in my high school days, heck even pee wee. But a man hitting a woman, I am not sure I can stomach that one. What I am saying is that if somebody is being written off because of baggage, I think that is a pretty big bag. But the difference is that "no charges" were filed. I am sure that was not hard for Iowa State to get it swept under the rug with the police in Ames and come out with the he is sorry, gonna get counseling B.S..

Well, crap. I didn't realize this had happened. Jeez.

I will say that McCarney would be more likely to have an uptempo offense rather than Fran's option attack.

You kidding? We've had great RB's ever since I've been a fan of UNT football (J'Quay in '00). We've also got a pretty good option QB right now in Riley. I think an option would be a pretty good attack for us.

McCarney is a defensive guy. Who knows what kind of offense he would install? I guess whichever one his O-coordinator brings with him...

More and more I'm starting to warm up to the idea of keeping Canales. I like his enthusiasm and knowledge of the game, and I get the impression that the players like and respect him. Not saying that I want the priority of this hire to be all about money, but we could probably get him for TD money and use the excess to beef up his supporting staff. One year of continuity is better than nothing at this point, and although I'm not exactly happy with the status quo around here, starting over from scratch again and seeing a brand new guy go 3-4 years with no results is a scary thought. Franchione is the only heavily discussed viable candidate on this board that I might put ahead of Canales. McCarney just doesn't do it for me.

More and more I'm starting to warm up to the idea of keeping Canales. I like his enthusiasm and knowledge of the game, and I get the impression that the players like and respect him. Not saying that I want the priority of this hire to be all about money, but we could probably get him for TD money and use the excess to beef up his supporting staff. One year of continuity is better than nothing at this point, and although I'm not exactly happy with the status quo around here, starting over from scratch again and seeing a brand new guy go 3-4 years with no results is a scary thought. Franchione is the only heavily discussed viable candidate on this board that I might put ahead of Canales. McCarney just doesn't do it for me.

Right there with you. But I am terribly afraid that its too late...

He was 6-6 versus Iowa. Good enough?

Out of conference:

1995: 2-2, wins: Ohio, UNLV / losses: Iowa, TCU

1996: 1-2, win: Northern Iowa / losses: Iowa, Wyoming

1997: 0-3, losses: Iowa, Minnesota, Wyoming

1998: 2-1, wins: Iowa, Ball State / loss: TCU

1999: 3-0, wins: Iowa, Indiana State, UNLV

2000: 4-0, wins: Iowa, Ohio, UNLV, Pittsburgh (bowl game)

2001: 3-1, wins: Iowa, Ohio, Northern Iowa / loss: Alabama (bowl game)

2002: 3-3, wins: Iowa, Troy, Tennessee Tech / losses: Florida State, Connecticut, Boise State (bowl game)

2003: 2-2, wins: Ohio, Northern Iowa / losses: Iowa, Northern Illinois

2004: 3-1, wins: Northern Illinois, Northern Iowa, Miami (OH) (bowl game) / loss: Iowa

2005: 3-1, wins: Iowa, Army, Illinois State / losses: TCU (bowl game)

2006: 3-1, wins: Toledo, UNLV, Northern Iowa / losses: Iowa

Total out of conference: 29-17

McCarney's problems were never out of conference. No Iowa State coach had more than three wins over Iowa previously. And, certainly, none beat them five times in a row. He ended Hayden Fry's 15 year win streak against the Cyclones in 1998, then tacked on four more in a row.

McCarney's problems was that he took over the program in the face of an era where Nebraska, Coloroda, and Kansas State were already rolling and perennially Top 10 programs. Combine that with the resurgence of Mizzou in the North and Oklahoma and Texas in the South, and his task winning in Ames were immeasurably higher that what he would face in Denton against the Sun Belt.

I'll give you the 6-6 vs. Iowa - that's good. But outside of the 2000 season, the rest of those OOC wins are pretty unimpressive for a Big XII school.

Most important of all, McCarney brings no baggage. No choking players. No hitting them. No selling of injury reports to boosters. He's clean and he built a winner in one of the top two BCS conferences.

No baggage? I guess domestic abuse is no big deal? I'm sure the Battered Women's Foundation would disagree with you. He had a restraining order issued against him.

Look, McCarney isn't my first choice but I like him better than some of the other names floating around out there. But don't pretend like his character and past are head and shoulders above Leavitt or Fran or any other candidate with "baggage" - domestic abuse is pretty serious in my book. And, apparently, physical assaults run in the family -

Dan McCarney's Daughter Charged With Assaulting a Police Officer