Am I The Only One...

MeanGoingGreen

Benson also said the WAC is not in danger of losing its BCS status, and he is very confident that proposed NCAA legislation doing away with the continuity of membership requirement will pass in January. If it does pass, that means the WAC would continue to receive its automatic bid to NCAA tournament events.

Benson also said the WAC is not in danger of losing its BCS status, and he is very confident that proposed NCAA legislation doing away with the continuity of membership requirement will pass in January. If it does pass, that means the WAC would continue to receive its automatic bid to NCAA tournament events.

Think about it, the NCAA must change it's rules so the WAC champion can get into the NCAA tournaments. As for BCS, they are still technically in but treated as independents.

And maybe there is a reason why those teams didnt have winning seasons. I think they are named Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State and Hawai'i. They aren't there any more. This would be UNT chance to be in a more competitive league with more exposure.

No the remaining WAC teams are historically non-competitive programs. NMSU, USU, and ID were 0-12 against UNT when we played in the same conference.

The WAC would mean less exposure for the Mean Green. We went through this once when we were in the Big West.

• Upvote 1

Think about it, the NCAA must change it's rules so the WAC champion can get into the NCAA tournaments. As for BCS, they are still technically in but treated as independents.

Indy's get to keep all of their BCS money, and don't have to share with the other Non-AQs. Sounds like a plus to me then.

Go to any forum for a WAC school and ask if their fans actually believe those statements.

Anyways, I'm not a Mean Grean fan per se, but a Boise State fan. I have been saying for years now that UNT should take the invite to the WAC, and I still stick by it. I'm an outsider looking in at your program, and I think it would do the University wonders. That's my stance.

Only way it makes sense for us to talk to Benson is if he is willing to have a merger or both conferences. We can have an east and west division and have a championship....something similar they do in the MAC. Then I think it is well worth looking into. But if you think UNT should go to the WAC by itself then it would be completely foolish.

Anyways, I'm not a Mean Grean fan per se, but a Boise State fan. I have been saying for years now that UNT should take the invite to the WAC, and I still stick by it. I'm an outsider looking in at your program, and I think it would do the University wonders. That's my stance.

So you want us to jump onto a sinking ship you just got off? Your school didn't think enough of the conference to stick around. Why should we think that the remnants are worth our time? The Sun Belt isn't great, but we already played USU, NMSU, and IU that couldn't draw fans. Adding SJSU and two FCS schools is not an improvement to that schedule. La Tech is the only slightly beneficial addition, but that doesn't do that much for me. Add to that hardly being able to listen to an evening game on the west coast and I am not excited.

Edited by forevereagle

Neat. So from your outside perspective what do you think about higher travel cost to go to areas we don't recruit to play games our fans can't watch?

Well, I know the WAC landscape is changing, but SJSU is a great opportunity to start recruiting the Bay Area. And with the added Texas teams the WAC already has pulled in, the WAC will start to recruity more heavily in the state of Texas as well. The WAC/ESPN contract has the possibility of being saved with potential for TV markets. UNT would give a presence in Dallas/Ft. Worth TV markets, along with UTSA and Texas St in other Texas TV markets. With Hawai'i gone, the major money-eating away game is gone, and no TV deal is going to completely pay for a school's athletic budget (as a non-AQ).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, I know the WAC landscape is changing, but SJSU is a great opportunity to start recruiting the Bay Area. And with the added Texas teams the WAC already has pulled in, the WAC will start to recruity more heavily in the state of Texas as well. The WAC/ESPN contract has the possibility of being saved with potential for TV markets. UNT would give a presence in Dallas/Ft. Worth TV markets, along with UTSA and Texas St in other Texas TV markets. With Hawai'i gone, the major money-eating away game is gone, and no TV deal is going to completely pay for a school's athletic budget (as a non-AQ).

I would love to recruit the Bay area or any area nationally but risking your whole athletics program to maybe get 1 or 2 recruits from that area is not a wise decision. And plus the distance from the Bay area to DFW is very very large so I find it hard to believe we will be able to sell recruits on the idea of coming to Denton unless we were a much bigger and nationally known program.

Don't believe the WAC/ESPN contract gets torn up. If the future WAC becomes what it is expected to be then I can see ESPN dropping the WAC and going after the Sunbelt.

So you want us to jump onto a sinking ship you just got off? Your school didn't think enough of the conference to stick around. Why should we think that the remnants are worth our time? The Sun Belt isn't great, but we already played USU, NMSU, and IU that couldn't draw fans. Adding SJSU and two FCS schools is not an improvement to that schedule. La Tech is the only slightly beneficial addition, but that doesn't do that much for me. Add to that hardly being able to listen to an evening game on the west coast and I am not excited.

I wanted UNT there when Boise State was there. Its not that Boise State wanted to leave a bad conference, they wanted to be in a more centralized conference like the MWC is. Sending all of their sports to LaTech and Hawai'i was a killer for a team in Idaho. It's about moving up, and anything but the Belt is a move up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I wanted UNT there when Boise State was there. Its not that Boise State wanted to leave a bad conference, they wanted to be in a more centralized conference like the MWC is. Sending all of their sports to LaTech and Hawai'i was a killer for a team in Idaho. It's about moving up, and anything but the Belt is a move up.

not the 2012 wac...

Its not that Boise State wanted to leave a bad conference, they wanted to be in a more centralized conference like the MWC is. Sending all of their sports to LaTech and Hawai'i was a killer for a team in Idaho.

Those are the same reasons UNT won't go to the WAC.

A 12 team Sun Belt will be ideal. And every other trips to Florida, Alabama, Kentucky and all divisional games within a days drive.

Yeah

"no really, that big bang wasn't an iceberg, we'll be fine....enjoy the rest of your voyage."

- captain of the titanic

• Upvote 1

So for us to send our sports to San Jose and Idaho and Utah is better? How is the WAC a step up when it is now the home for all the bottom dwellers moving up? They are now accepting teams that have never even played a down of football. Next invite will go to UTA.

The ESPN/WAC deal isn't going anywhere.

Listen to Karl Benson's press conference today. He admits he has to sit down with ESPN once they have membership resolved.

ESPN cut C-USA's TV deal 50% when USF, Cincinnati, Louisville, etc left and CUSA ADDED UTEP, UCF, Marshall (multiple ranked teams and bowls), Tulsa, Rice, and SMU.

The WAC is losing every team that has had any notable success and adding non-football Denver, FCS TexSt and never played football UTSA.

The WAC will throw a massive beer bust if ESPN gives them one-third of what they were getting.

Absolutely not true.

Benson admitted later in the press conference that the BCS would treat the WAC as a group of independents and would NOT have the guarantee of a BCS appearance and would be paid as independents. Under the last deal that was a difference of $87,500 per school less for an independent. Based on the anticipated growth in BCS revenue the difference will be at least $109,000 by the end of this BCS contract and that's not factoring in the league distribution growing by only having four leagues because I don't want to do the math right now.

Key phrase regarding auto bids from your post. IF IT DOES PASS. Benson is relying on a convoluted reading of legislation designed to make it harder to change divisions. It is questionable that the members who wanted that legislation would want to see it used to move two or more FCS schools to FBS since slowing the moves from FCS to FBS was one of the main points.

Anyways, I'm not a Mean Grean fan per se, but a Boise State fan. I have been saying for years now that UNT should take the invite to the WAC, and I still stick by it.

So as school after school beats a path out of the WAC, you think North Texas would benefit from joining a conference everyone else is fleeing -- including your own school? Brilliant.

We're better off in the Belt than in boarding that Titanic.

Well, maybe you should defer to and listen to the opinions of those who are familar with the situation.