Say No To The Wac

shaft

With the WAC press conference today making it known that the WAC is still looking at North Texas, we need to tell the administration to just say No to the WAC.

The Sun Belt is in the drivers seat right now. We can pick and choose which two WAC programs to add to the Belt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

With the WAC press conference today making it known that the WAC is still looking at North Texas, we need to tell the administration to just say No to the WAC.

The Sun Belt is in the drivers seat right now. We can pick and choose which two WAC programs to add to the Belt.

Who is still even left in the WAC as of this minute?

San Jose State

1 winning season (2006), 1 .500 season (2008) in the last decade

Utah State

0 winning seasons in the last decade

Idaho

1 winning season in the last decade (2009)

New Mexico State

1 winning season in the last decade (2002)

LA Tech

3 winning seasons (2001, 2005 2008), 1 .500 season (2004) in the last decade

Texas State

New to D1/FBS

UT-San Antonio

New to football

San Jose State

Utah State

Idaho

New Mexico State

LA Tech

Texas State

New to D1/FBS

UT-San Antonio

New to football

Thanks for the list, shaft.

San Jose State

Utah State

Idaho

New Mexico State

LA Tech

Texas State

New to D1/FBS

UT-San Antonio

New to football

I'm not saying I like the WAC anymore but lets compare those stats above with the SBC. I think it will show we are equally as bad.

• Downvote 4

The Sun Belt

Arkansas State

3 .500 season in the last decade (2005, 2006, 2008)

Florida Atlantic

3 winning seasons (2004, 2007, 2008) and have been in D1 for less than a decade

Florida International

No winning seasons and have been in D1 for less than a decade

UL-Lafayette

1 winning season (2005), 3 .500 seasons (2006, 2008, 2009) in the last decade

UL-Monroe

2 .500 seasons in the last decade (2007, 2009)

Middle Tennessee

3 winning seasons in the last decade (2001, 2006, 2007)

North Texas

3 winning seasons (2002, 2003, 2005) and additional bowl in (2001) in the last decade

Troy

6 winning season (2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009) and 1 .500 season (2003) in the last decade

Western Kentucky

1 winning season (2007) has been in D1 for less than a decade

And that doesn't even count all the bowl wins the SBC has racked up.

• Upvote 2

The Sun Belt

Arkansas State

Florida Atlantic

Florida International

UL-Lafayette

UL-Monroe

Middle Tennessee

North Texas

3 winning seasons (2002, 2003, 2005) and additional bowl in (2001) in the last decade

Troy

6 winning season (2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009) and 1 .500 season (2003) in the last decade

Western Kentucky

We need a conference name change no matter what it would be called. Its still all about perception with the national sports media and they are the ones doing most the voting and influence-making in Top 25 polls these days. (Of course, we need an SBC team worthy of Top 25 votes first).

Name change for SBC in light of dramatic new changes (additions) soon to happen? I know you can't hide a 2 ton elephant but one can sure as hell try. Sometimes change is good.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The only refugee from the WAC that I would remotely consider would be NMSU. No to Louisiana Tech. They want no part of the Sun Belt, aka suckbelt, sunbeltch, etc., according to their fans. Plus, all they would do is run to CUSA if an invite would ever come their way. Not that we wouldn't want a CUSA invite too, but we have paid our dues.

No to Utah State. Remember when USU had no place to go at one time and the SBC took them in? Once they got their opportunity to move to the WAC, the Sun Belt was, to them, the worst conference and they couldn't wait to get out. Forget that we kept them from dropping to FCS or Indy. They wanted nothing to do with us once they got the WAC patch on their jerseys. I say fugg em all. Let them wallow in dog dung. :angry:

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The only refugee from the WAC that I would remotely consider would be NMSU. No to Louisiana Tech. They want no part of the Sun Belt, aka suckbelt, sunbeltch, etc., according to their fans. Not to Utah State. Remember when USU had no place to go at one time and the SBC took them in? Once they got their opportunity to move to the WAC, the Sun Belt was, to them, the worst conference and they couldn't wait to get out. Forget that we kept them from dropping to FCS or Indy. They wanted nothing to do with us once they got the WAC patch on their jerseys. I say fugg em all. Let them wallow in dog dung. :angry:

You're more diplomatic about USU than I would be.

wow...i'm surprised at how much better the sun belt is than the current future wac. it hasn't always been rosy for us in the belt, but it damn sure beats the alternative. the football comparisons aren't even close!

The current WAC still has Boise, Nevada, Fresno and Hawaii. We don't have a team that can touch those. Now, if you want to talk about the WAC of 2012 (if it still exists) then you would be right on, especially in football.

The Sun Belt

Arkansas State

Florida Atlantic

Florida International

UL-Lafayette

UL-Monroe

Middle Tennessee

North Texas

Troy

Western Kentucky

The WAC list is skewed in that you have left off the conference dominators of the WAC. Most remaining WAC school on your list were guaranteed a loss to at least one if not all of the now moved on schools. If you take those losses/wins away how does it compare then?

• Downvote 3

The WAC list is skewed in that you have left off the conference dominators of the WAC. Most remaining WAC school on your list were guaranteed a loss to at least one if not all of the now moved on schools. If you take those losses/wins away how does it compare then?

While we're at it, let's vacate the numerous BCS Bowl appearances since the schools leaving don't count for the wins/losses against what's left of the conference.

So......by that logic then, the remaining WAC schools are no better than the belt.....right? I mean.....the conference dominators are gone.....which is why the WAC is not any better.....

Kind of the point wouldn't you say?

Non Conference records since current WAC makeup excluding games against FCS schools

Idaho 5-15

USU 2-20

NMSU 3-16

SJSU 3-15

LT 3-17 (2 wins against NT)

My point exactly. But I think some on here think the SBC is now better than the WAC.

So you're saying SJSU, USU, IU, NMSU, TSUSM, UTSA, and LTU > FAU, FIU, WKU, MTSU, Troy, ULM, ULL, ASU and NT?

We know where Texas State stands (posted a losing record this year) but UTSA has yet to play a down of football. How can anyone say they will be better than anyone in the Belt? SJSU has been on the edge of collapse for years now due to its budget problems. LaTech is the only remaining school to post multiple winning records.

With the WAC adding who knows who else (more FCS schools?), how can you justify putting the WAC ahead of the Belt?

My point exactly. But I think some on here think the SBC is now better than the WAC.

Here's the current Sagarin ratings for the teams staying in the WAC:

Idaho, 80

Louisiana Tech, 83

Utah State, 115

San Jose State, 157

New Mexico State, 164

Texas State (currently 186 in FCS)

UT-San Antonio (not yet playing)

If you assign UTSA a 186 (the same as Texas State), these teams average 138 in the ratings.

Here's the Sagarin for the Sun Belt:

Florida International, 101

Troy, 122

Arkansas State, 134

Florida Atlantic, 145

Louisiana-Monroe, 154

North Texas, 159Middle Tennessee, 168

Western Kentucky, 171

Louisiana-Lafayette, 178

These teams average 148.

When you consider that the WAC teams are currently benefiting from strength of schedule by being conference mates with Boise State, Nevada, Hawaii and Fresno State (all of whom are ranked higher than the left-behinds), the WAC could be lower in Sagarin rankings than the Belt.

In any case, the WAC is clearly not strong enough to compensate for the increased travel time and bad TV start times that UNT would face if it joined the conference.

Sargins ratings are worthless.

There is no way to measure D1/FBS teams vs d1aa/fcs teams. This crappy rating system also undervalues head-to-head wins.

Its real simple. The bottom of the WAC is really bad, 6 winning season in the last decade, and really spread out.

• Upvote 1

Sargins ratings are worthless.

There is no way to measure D1/FBS teams vs d1aa/fcs teams. This crappy rating system also undervalues head-to-head wins.

Its real simple. The bottom of the WAC is really bad, 6 winning season in the last decade, and really spread out.

Thank you. Nothing whips me more than Sagarin's rankings being quoted in these discussions. Useless means of comparison.