Arkstfan Post On Wac Commish Teleconfrance

MeanGreen61

ARKSTFAN POST FROM THE WAC BOARD

It's awful.

Quick summary.

Calling North Texas AGAIN

UC Davis has turned down membership.

Humanitarian and other bowls (not named New Mexico) indicate will honor contracts

Won't sit down with ESPN until membership line-up is settled.

Football is the biggest priority and Hawaii and TCU offered NON-football membership.

Thinks NCAA will change continuity rules.

Says league will still be part of BCS but champ not guaranteed berth even if rated high enough.

WAC THREAD

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=6755174

Edited by MeanGreen61

From the TxSt board

Re: Benson Teleconference - Scheduled for Monday

1. League would still be D1 assuming NCAA bylaws pass (Confident that they will)

2. Contacted Sun Belt and North Texas --- to test waters

3. UC Davis has turned down membership when we joined.

4. TCU contacted for non-football sports should they go to Big East

4. Humanitarian and other bowls (not named New Mexico) indicate will honor contracts

5. Won't sit down with ESPN until membership line-up is settled.

Member schools will be considered FBS as long as they meet the scholarship, attendance, and other requirements, but the conference will not.

Members will count as FBS opponents when they play.

He says league will still be part of BCS but champ not guaranteed berth even if rated high enough.

Frankly, I am confused.

From the TxSt board

Re: Benson Teleconference - Scheduled for Monday

1. League would still be D1 assuming NCAA bylaws pass (Confident that they will)

2. Contacted Sun Belt and North Texas --- to test waters

3. UC Davis has turned down membership when we joined.

4. TCU contacted for non-football sports should they go to Big East

4. Humanitarian and other bowls (not named New Mexico) indicate will honor contracts

5. Won't sit down with ESPN until membership line-up is settled.

Member schools will be considered FBS as long as they meet the scholarship, attendance, and other requirements, but the conference will not.

Members will count as FBS opponents when they play.

He says league will still be part of BCS but champ not guaranteed berth even if rated high enough.

Frankly, I am confused.

If the WAC isn't recognized as a FBS league and Texas State and UTSA have to be invited by a recognized FBS league before they can move up ... sound like they are caught in a catch-22.

If the WAC isn't recognized as a FBS league and Texas State and UTSA have to be invited by a recognized FBS league before they can move up ... sound like they are caught in a catch-22.

The WAC was a recognized league when the invites were issued. The WAC will not be getting a portion of the BCS money if Hawaii leaves. The WAC is really, really screwed. About the only thing they can do is try to merge with the Belt. I seriously doubt that Waters is going to recommend that to the Belt members when there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

• Downvote 1

I understand what that means when it says they contacted North Texas. But what does that mean when it says they contacted the Sun Belt? Is Benson offering to merge into the Belt, or vice versa?

I'm sure he is grasping at straws at this point. The Sun Belt should be calling NMSU, UTEP, and Tulsa

I understand what that means when it says they contacted North Texas. But what does that mean when it says they contacted the Sun Belt? Is Benson offering to merge into the Belt, or vice versa?

Sorry, I was not clear with what I typed. It was not merging the leagues. Benson contacted the SBC headquarters and told WW that he would be contact with North Texas. I don't know if this is because it will be a 'formal' invite or because he is trying to show an up-front, honest approach after the MWC back-alley deals that moved Fresno, Nevada, and now Hawaii.

The WAC was a recognized league when the invites were issued. The WAC will not be getting a portion of the BCS money if Hawaii leaves. The WAC is really, really screwed. About the only thing they can do is try to merge with the Belt. I seriously doubt that Waters is going to recommend that to the Belt members when there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

But it won't technically exist under NCAA rules before either of the schools can start the transition. Only a recognized FBS conference can sponsor the move up.

Sorry, I was not clear with what I typed. It was not merging the leagues. Benson contacted the SBC headquarters and told WW that he would be contact with North Texas. I don't know if this is because it will be a 'formal' invite or because he is trying to show an up-front, honest approach after the MWC back-alley deals that moved Fresno, Nevada, and now Hawaii.

It certainly isn't because Benson doesn't have the phone number. Stalkers call less often than Benson does NT.

I'm sure he is grasping at straws at this point. The Sun Belt should be calling NMSU, UTEP, and Tulsa

UTEP and Tulsa are in CUSA and I font think they are leaving.

We should try to get NMSU and LaTech out of the WAC.

I think there have been donors at LaTech who would rather die that be in a league with ULM and ULL, but I think even they may start seeing the writing on the wall.

PS: Don't forget the SBC stepped in and saved us from the Big West football implosion.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't leave if we get offered a step up into a better conference, but it can't be a lateral move. The WAC is at best a lateral move right now, and had a dimmer future than the SBC.

Benson’s hope is that Texas State and UTSA joining the conference “might make the WAC more attractive to North Texas today than previously.”

Mercury New - Benson Talks about the future

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2010/11/22/wac-football-and-basketball-benson-talks-about-the-future/

Benson’s hope is that Texas State and UTSA joining the conference “might make the WAC more attractive to North Texas today than previously.”

Mercury New - Benson Talks about the future

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2010/11/22/wac-football-and-basketball-benson-talks-about-the-future/

I wonder how much the WAC is paying to the H-bowl to keep inviting WAC members (affiliates, since it isn't a conference anymore) through the 2013-14 season? That is when the current contract runs out anyway. Wonder what "expects to have some type of partnership" with Poinsettia and the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowls means.

If Denver wants back in, I hope the Belt allows them. They did nothing wrong other than make a move at a terrible time.

Big 14 Conference (formerly SBC & SBC staff still in tact))

East Division 7 Teams (you fill in the blanks)

West Division 7 Teams (you fill in the blanks)

We pick up a WAC bowl from this for our West Division best team and New Orleans still for the overall champion determined in a league championship game played in the AlamoDome?

Lets buy the name now if available (you who know how to do that kind of thing online) and just fill in the schools with who we want from the WAC. It gets us out of the negative perception the SBC name gives us whether we admit it or not; heck, the national media has pronounced us a a go-nowhere conference for at least another 100 years :unsure: as far as a BCS bowl is concerned. (A ranking from that voting group would be nice for starters anyhow). (Heck, it would take that national media group 2 years before they knew we even would have had a conference name-change because we are of such insignificance to them now with our "1" team over .500). :ph34r:

They (national media) don't buy into the SBC kool-ade of present Belt'-pushers at all to put in bluntly and its the national media who we of the SBC will eventually need to give us those votes for our first ever Top 25 team.

:rolleyes: I know its out there for those who don't want to be trailblazers but it could also be a conference-saver in time if a "Big 14" lost a member or 2 or 3 that could be replaced w/o losing your entire conference? Ask Benson how losing your entire FBS conference sorta' feels right now. :blink::rolleyes:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wonder how much the WAC is paying to the H-bowl to keep inviting WAC members (affiliates, since it isn't a conference anymore) through the 2013-14 season? That is when the current contract runs out anyway. Wonder what "expects to have some type of partnership" with Poinsettia and the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowls means.

If Denver wants back in, I hope the Belt allows them. They did nothing wrong other than make a move at a terrible time.

I've heard that the WAC pays in the $300,000 to $400,000 range to be in the Humanitarian Bowl.

Frankly, I am confused.

The BCS would treat them as "non-Notre Dame" independents. Each school would get a check for $100,000.

Last slot money for the Sun Belt in 2009 was $187,500 per school. With the WAC out of the way, that would increase.

BCS rules guarantee one slot to an non-AQ. To qualify you have to be the highest rated non-AQ champion be rated 12 or better. A WAC champion rated #4 once everyone leaves would not qualify for the guaranteed slot and would go in the at-large pool. For example in in 2008 had Ball State remained #12 and been the only non-AQ champ in the top 12, they would have gone to the BCS while a #4 WAC would be in the at-large pool.

Edited by Arkstfan

RV should seriously file harassment charges on Benson

Seriosuly, If the WAC were named Kobe Bryant, assault charges would have been filed at this point.

We need to hire a sky writer to fly over Benson's home and write "Dear WAC, FU! Leave us alone!"

So how long until the 'LaTech to the Belt' news leaks? I understand that there are egos involved, but does anyone really think we turn them down should they show up at our doorstep?? They have nowhere to go from here.....or do they?

Yes, apparently rumor is that they would rather go indy than swallow their pride (among other things) and join the Belt.

• Downvote 1

I would think that the MAC might be an option for LaTech.

Bulldog Barks & Bytes adminstrator Dwayne of Minden has been a pro-SBC supporter for the Bulldogs if and when the WAC went wacky and folded.

I wonder if they would change their mind if the SBC became the, uh.............Big 14 Conference? (formerly the SBC) :rolleyes:

Hey! 2 kook brothers in North Carolina once thought they could build a flying machine so a conference name change to create a better perception(?)among the national media is peanuts comparatively.

Yet...........IMO, LaTech will hold out for CUSA until New Orleans, a once great USA city is underwater and I believe that more than life itself; well, maybe not that melo-dramatic.

GMG!

PS: And I pray NO's never is underwater in spite of where they built their city.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen