What Should The Sbc Do Next?

shaft

Shocking! 41 people would rather travel to the armpit of Louisiana at Ruston than the beautiful hill country in San Marcus?

Rick

I agree Rick. Texas State has a beautiful stadium now after the upgrades. They are growing and would be a great addition.

It seems to me that the 41 people you mentioned are a bit hypocritical. I would imagine the same ones that say they are just FCS and it would diminish our conference and set us back are the same people that complain about the shaft the non-AQ schools get when trying to get national recognition, into BCS bowls, or into BCS conferences.

If it is status quo you want, it is the status quo you get. There was a time when we were "just a FCS school" too.

Shocking! 41 people would rather travel to the armpit of Louisiana at Ruston than the beautiful hill country in San Marcus?

Rick

Naturally, I agree with you. I really hate that UNT fans want to c-block us from joining the ranks in much the same way SMU blocks your entrance to Conference USA. If we were invited, we could develop an instate rivalry game and get the SBC more coverage in additional media markets in the state. We could help grow the brand, institute divisional play and help the league get a championship game.

That being said, we are another mouth to feed at the buffet of FBS recruits. Keeping us locked out keeps us from becoming your equals on the recruiting trail and in the minds of average Texans.

You guys have moved on from your Southland days, and you view "lil ole Southwest" as your inferior. You no more want us in your conference than our fans would want Sam/SFA/Lamar to follow us to the WAC. In the same vein, SHSU/SFA do not want the Lone Star Conference schools to move into the SLC.

To quote Kris Kristofferson - "Cuz everybody's got to have somebody to look down on.

Who they can feel better than at anytime they please." (from "Jesus was a Capricorn")

Edited by Chrisattsu

Weeks after we beat NMSU, we had our heads handed to us by Colorado State but the Mean Green/Aggie game of that season was a great game for the fans--NMSU had about 1,500 of their own there that night, too. The stadium crowd noise that night was very impressive even in one of the most accoustically dead stadiums in the NCAA.

GMG!

Just one factual correction - the big win at Fouts over NMSU to secure our New Orleans Bowl berth was in 2002, the year we beat Cincinnati.

Definitely one of the greatest games I have attended at Fouts.

Rick

Tx State and UTSA havent played a down of football in the FBS so its hard to really know what will be available to us... im sure most people would love to travel to San Marcos and San Antonio, but La Tech is a proven school with alot of tradition.

Yet even in the first year of Sun Belt play and at the level it was the NMSU Aggies may have played us in the most exciting game ever at Fouts Field when half the stadium rushed the goal post after a Mean Green win. None of our SMU wins were that exciting albeit most satisfying.

Weeks after we beat NMSU, we had our heads handed to us by Colorado State but the Mean Green/Aggie game of that season was a great game for the fans--NMSU had about 1,500 of their own there that night, too. The stadium crowd noise that night was very impressive even in one of the most accoustically dead stadiums in the NCAA.

Yes, 2001 we traveled to Las Cruces and were treated terribly by their athetic department, stadium nazis, campus smokies, and the PA announcer, only to win the game with 18 seconds left.

I don't get the hate for LA Tech. Their position is understandable; they we're in the SBC and it didn't do much for them. They based their capital campaign on separating themselves from kid brothers Monroe and Lala (

sort of like how we feel about Texas State).

The Belt didn't do much for Tech??????????? Tech bailed on the Sun Belt as it prepared to begin sponsoring football!!! That move also persuaded Central Florida from joining the Sun Belt for football. That move almost killed SBC football from getting off the ground! Tech won't, and shouldn't get much support from member institutions to join the Sun Belt. Besides, it's too low for them anyway. Maybe the Southland would take them!

• Downvote 1