Doesn't This Make You A Little Bit Sick?

Keith7

He played his butt off for North Texas, including a lot of times where he played injured. I am happy for him that still gets to play D1 basketball, and hope he has a lot of success every night that SMU takes the court and loses. :rolleyes:

It is kind of weird seeing him in an SMU jersey, but hey, at least he did not go to Rice. It would be really weird to see him play for a different team in the Super Pit. We know SMU will not be coming to Denton anytime soon.

• Upvote 2

Good for him. I'm happy he still gets to play and he was a great asset for s for a while. He just doing what he needs to do for his education

I agree. This is good for Collin and I thank him for the time and energy he gave to UNT. There is a difference between transferring to pursue a particular degree and quitting. We've benefited from such transfers in both football and basketball and hope we do in the future as well. Good luck, Collin!

sorry to say its our own universities fault for not having the quality academic programs that guys like this need. Lets step that up.

They have some programs we don't and vice versa, but in my personal experience UNT is a much much better school. I took some Masters level classes there (paid for by work, woulnd't give that place any of my own money) and got straight A's for effort that would have gotten me C's in Sophomore classes at UNT. If the instructor wasn't paying attention.

How does going to law school make you a quitter? Point of college is to get an education not play sports.

Didn't know that he was currently in law school. Don't know if it's true or not, but I had heard that he wanted to go to law school at some point, but was signing up for the MBA program down there this semester instead. Don't we still have an MBA program? Regardless, wouldn't the word in this case be "traitor" rather than "quitter"? :D

• Downvote 3

I am happy for Collin. However, Coach Jones stuck with him through all the injuries and tied up a scholarship for what seemed like forever. What is too much to ask for him to wait one year to go to law school given Coach Jones' dedication to him through the injury plagued years?

• Downvote 2

They have some programs we don't and vice versa, but in my personal experience UNT is a much much better school. I took some Masters level classes there (paid for by work, woulnd't give that place any of my own money) and got straight A's for effort that would have gotten me C's in Sophomore classes at UNT. If the instructor wasn't paying attention.

I agree. I took a couple of summer semester classes there in the 90's, and they were probably the easiest of my college experience. It seemed like less than half the class even bothered to show up on any given day.

Adler refered to our friends in Dallas as S. Methodist. I have always rankled at S. Methodist using NTSU instead of UNT.

So with thanks to Adler for the idea and meaning no disrespect to my own Methodist upbringing, I will from now on refer to that other school in dallas as "So Meth" or simply "Meth."

I hope Collin has a great year on a team that loses every game.

• Upvote 1

In a word, YES.

Can't be helped now, but it would have been nice to see him be the only UNT player to play three or four NCAA games this season. He put a lot into UNT basketball and it took a lot out of him. I think he deserves a chance to stand at center court, get his jersey and a standing ovation on senior night.

• Upvote 2

I am happy for Collin. However, Coach Jones stuck with him through all the injuries and tied up a scholarship for what seemed like forever. What is too much to ask for him to wait one year to go to law school given Coach Jones' dedication to him through the injury plagued years?

I'll be honest enough to say that at the time his transfer was announced, it looked like a win for all parties involved. Collin was going to be the 6th or 7th guard option among Josh/Tristan/Shannon/Dom/Alzee/RJ McGhee. Despite his talent and dedication, he seemed very unlikely to get any real time on the floor.

And at the time, we appeared to have a reasonably good shot at picking up one of a number of high value transfers (J'mison Morgan, Chris Babb, Marshall Henderson, among others). There was some discussion about whether we could free up a scholarship to get one or more of those transfer guys over the summer.

In the end, it worked out about as poorly as possible for us. McGhee couldn't make it academically, none of the transfers wound up filling Mangrum's ship, and now Alzee is sitting out with injury problems. Instead of Mangrum sitting near the bottom of a 7 guard rotation, he would have been a critical 5th option in a 3 guard lineup.

It looked like a win for everyone. Instead, we wind up light at guard and Mangrum is stuck as a walk-on for a godawful team slogging through what looks to be a godawful season.

• Upvote 1

In a word, YES.

Can't be helped now, but it would have been nice to see him be the only UNT player to play three or four NCAA games this season. He put a lot into UNT basketball and it took a lot out of him. I think he deserves a chance to stand at center court, get his jersey and a standing ovation on senior night.

He played in two NCAA Tournaments for North Texas. I too would like to see him come back for senior night to be honored.

• Upvote 2

He played in two NCAA Tournaments for North Texas. I too would like to see him come back for senior night to be honored.

Thought about that, too. But our senior night will be February 26th, last home game against Denver. S. Meth will be on the road playing Marshall that day.

• Upvote 1

Collin graduated, right? And I'm pretty sure he did so in the traditional four years. He's a winner for that in my book. Thanks for your time here and good luck the rest of the way.

Now, what happened to sitting out a year if you transfer? Does that not apply if you graduate?

Keith