Neinas Contract

MeanGreen61

For those not drunk on this post Dodge firing 4 week kool-ade binge, a huge telling green flag with this latest retainment of Neinas. $40,000 plus expenses to find us a new football coach? Jeez! I am in the wrong business since that is also a part time gig.

For those who doubted a real national search, I don't think anyone at UNT would say that that $40,000 consultant fee was cookie jar money UNT felt they could do without just to have him comb the streets of Denton for a new HFC. :rolleyes:

GMG

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 7

Surely you guys get this.

No one is going to pay someone to come in and publish a public report about what they are doing wrong. I'm sure his private report to Rawlins had praise, but also critizism that would not be flattering to the university if made public.

It makes complete sense to pay someone outside of the university to assist with the coaching search. Someone that can protect the university if they get turned down by their 1st three choices and have to go with their 4th. Could you imagine the angst on this board if we found out 3 coaches turned us down? Much less the constant comparisons between those guys and the coach that actually did get the job.

Notice that there are no leaks on this search? Neimas. No leaks on when interviews will occur? Neimas.

People should just be happy that we are acting like a grown up athletic department for a change.

• Upvote 7

Surely you guys get this.

No one is going to pay someone to come in and publish a public report about what they are doing wrong. I'm sure his private report to Rawlins had praise, but also critizism that would not be flattering to the university if made public.

It makes complete sense to pay someone outside of the university to assist with the coaching search. Someone that can protect the university if they get turned down by their 1st three choices and have to go with their 4th. Could you imagine the angst on this board if we found out 3 coaches turned us down? Much less the constant comparisons between those guys and the coach that actually did get the job.

Notice that there are no leaks on this search? Neimas. No leaks on when interviews will occur? Neimas.

People should just be happy that we are acting like a grown up athletic department for a change.

Agreed.

Plumm, who is this miracle coach you think is going to come here? Why are you angry that Canales is a candidate?

I will trust Neinas to find our miracle. I'm not angry that Chico is a candidate, but we've hired so many like him before (like the last 6) and some of us are now older thinking our school has not learned anything from our history like in the old adage: Those who do not learn from history are likely to repeat it. UNT seems to be repeating its hiring history.

Canales? Maybe the right guy on the wrong coach's staff but absolutely at the wrong time in our history IMO--just like Dennis Parker was fired with UNT of the verge of something very big at as in a "student approved" expanded Fouts that we "had to" (no choice) meet attendance criteria?

Parker was probably cut short a year because UNT officials knew as long as he would still be coach, they might not be able market, sell tickets and subsequently reach the NCAA att.criteria for us to regain D1-A status. I see the Canales hire somewhat like the Dennis Parker situation if he were hired in light of a new era and new stadium--I just think UNT needs to start off fresh across the board. AND...he does not fit the criteria of what most alums still want in a UNT HFC if you use Harry's poll as an indicator.

Most assistant coach hires (maybe 100%) normally come from winning staffs and like it or not, Chico has been on this staff all season long and was calling its plays since the Rice game. He got some players back that poor ol' snake bit TDodge did not have the luxury of having and the schedule was tougher early on, too. Chico's followed what turned into a bad act, luckily caught a very down Sun Belt conference still w/o a Top 75? ranked team but mostly (again) he just simply followed a bad act. Whoever is really pushing this "just win a few SBC games" to get the UNT HFC's job I think may be as clever as Chico's marketing scheme has apparently been.

Again, its not so much Chico as it is the criteria of the kind of coach I think many would agree has not panned out of late--like over 35 years--give or take?

It doesn't matter what I think & I know that--have never pretended that it did otherwise, but I hope it does matter for UNT leaders because we don't need to kiss off another 5 year coach's contract that will never reach Year 4 or 5.

I am just sorry a decent personality ie, person which I understand Coach Chico truly is had to become mixed up in the way this has all shaken out with the formula that UNT will use to get a new HFC. Vying for jobs can get sometimes get very ugly in the good ol' USA I think we'd all agree and its a shame that it can't be done w/o all the blood-letting that sometimes occurs.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I will trust Neinas to find our miracle. I'm not angry that Chico is a candidate, but we've hired so many like him before (like the last 6) and some of us are now older thinking our school has not learned anything from our history like in the old adage: Those who do not learn from history are likely to repeat it. UNT seems to be repeating its hiring history.

Canales? Maybe the right guy on the wrong coach's staff but absolutely at the wrong time in our history IMO. He does not fit the criteria of what most still want in a UNT HFC as you can see on Harry's poll.

Most assistant coach hires (maybe 100%) normally come from winning staffs and like it or not, Chico has been on this staff all season long and was calling its plays since the Rice game. He's followed what turned into a bad act and like I guess American Idol candidates would say: "Follow a bad act if you can?"

Again, its not so much Chico as it is the criteria of the kind of coach I think many would agree has not panned out of late--like over 35 years--give or take?

It doesn't matter what I think & I know that--have never pretended it did otherwise, but I hope it does matter for UNT leaders because we don't need to kiss off another 5 year coach's contract that will never reach Year 4 or 5.

I hope that someday your boss gets fired, you take over and do a great job but ultimately get fired anyway because of who your old boss was.

I hope that someday your boss gets fired, you take over and do a great job but ultimately get fired anyway because of who your old boss was.

And how is your family?

Great job in a down mode Sun Belt just needs more definition for many of us. Might Todd Dodge have won these same games had the bottom not fallen out with all those injuries? And wasn't his part of the schedule the toughest part of the season, too? And FWIW...isn't the offense play calling a bit different (and more wide open) than when Dodge was roaming the sideline? :ph34r:

You have bought into the kool-ade and become emotionally involved with this for whatever the reason, but jeez, try to accept the fact that not every one is going to always agree with you--I sure as hell accepted that a long time ago. :rolleyes:

PS: I'd bet I would know who ArkStfan and his SBC compadres would hope that we would not hire and that would probably be the kind of candidates that Neinas has been known to shop at other schools for consideration.

Other Sun Belters already know we're getting a new football palace & would see a rare great hire at UNT as a double whamo', but they are also probably depending on us to do our usual hiring thing at UNT with another 5 year contract of another project which won't make it to Year 4 or 5.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

And how is your family?

Great job in a down mode Sun Belt just needs more definition for many of us. Might Todd Dodge have won these same games had the bottom not fallen out with all those injuries? And wasn't his part of the schedule the toughest part of the season, too? And FWIW...isn't the offense play calling a bit different (and more wide open) than when Dodge was roaming the sideline? :ph34r:

You have bought into the kool-ade and become emotionally involved with this for whatever the reason, but jeez, try to accept the fact that not every one is going to always agree with you--I sure as hell accepted that a long time ago. :rolleyes:

PS: I'd bet I would know who ArkStfan and his SBC compadres would hope that we would not hire and that would probably be the kind of candidates that Neinas has been known to shop at other schools for consideration.

Other Sun Belters already know we're getting a new football palace & would see a rare great hire at UNT as a double whamo', but they are also probably depending on us to do our usual hiring thing at UNT with another 5 year contract of another project which won't make it to Year 4 or 5.

GMG!

I've only bought in to the Mean Green Kool-Aid. I like Canales but will not cry if he is not hired. What burns me is that you write him off for circumstances beyond his control. If Fran was offensive coordinator this year until Dodge was fired, he would have fared no better. I like Fran and would be fine if he or Leavitt were the coach but do not write off Canales simply because he chose to try and help North Texas dig out of the Todd Dodge rut.

You say you don't care who will be hired and then you say well you do care because the coach has to have previous ncaa head coaching experience.

That means you would have passed on Mike Leach, Jim Leavitt, Chris Peterson, Gary Patterson, Joe Paterno, RC Slocum and more because they had no prior head coaching experience when they took the job they are known for.

Edited by Cr1028

I've only bought in to the Mean Green Kool-Aid. I like Canales but will not cry if he is not hired. What burns me is that you write him off for circumstances beyond his control. If Fran was offensive coordinator this year until Dodge was fired, he would have fared no better. I like Fran and would be fine if he or Leavitt were the coach but do not write off Canales simply because he chose to try and help North Texas dig out of the Todd Dodge rut.

You say you don't care who will be hired and then you say well you do care because the coach has to have previous ncaa head coaching experience.

That means you would have passed on Mike Leach, Jim Leavitt, Chris Peterson, Gary Patterson, Joe Paterno, RC Slocum and more because they had no prior head coaching experience when they took the job they are known for.

No, Fran Would be a candidate. Why?

BECAUSE HE HAS WON AS A HEAD COACH, HAS A TRACK RECORD OF TURNING PROGRAMS AROUND, AND HAS PROVEN HE CAN RUN A FBS PROGRAM

Please, tell me what part of this is so hard for you to understand.

• Upvote 2

You aren't paying Neinas to find a coach. You are paying to get more applicants.

If someone applies for the job through UNT that becomes public record. Some people won't apply in a public setting because it can hurt their current situation. Apply through Neinas and that fact stays private.

Yes, using a middleman allows coaches to express their interest without applying. By not contacting the school directly, if the school is not interested, it allows the coach to deny they actually applied for the job if they don't get it.

As for the expense, $40K plus actual expenses seems like a lot if Canales is truly already "the guy" and already employed here. It tells me UNT wants an ally in blame if the hire does not work out and/or they are seriously wanting a look at outside candidates other than Canales.

Edited by NT80

Yes, using a middleman allows coaches to express their interest without applying. By not contacting the school directly, if the school is not interested, it allows the coach to deny they actually applied for the job if they don't get it.

As for the expense, $40K plus actual expenses seems like a lot if Canales is truly already "the guy" and already employed here. It tells me UNT wants an ally in blame if the hire does not work out and/or they are looking at outside candidates.

MaybeMCanales is "the guy" only if someone like Leach, Fran, or Leavitt can't be obtained. None of the three would likely deal directly with UNT unless they were assured the deal but might talk freely to Neinas.

• Upvote 4

You aren't paying Neinas to find a coach. You are paying to get more applicants.

If someone applies for the job through UNT that becomes public record. Some people won't apply in a public setting because it can hurt their current situation. Apply through Neinas and that fact stays private.

BINGO! Thanks for clarifying this for some of the fan base.

I heard on an Austin radio station this morning that current UT recruiting coordinator and North Texas alumnus Bruce Chambers is a candidate.

If everything is being kept quiet don't you think any named candidate is just someone's assumption? I'm affraid at the end of this search we'll have no idea who was contacted, interviewed, etc. But that's probably for the best.

• Upvote 1

No, Fran Would be a candidate. Why?

BECAUSE HE HAS WON AS A HEAD COACH, HAS A TRACK RECORD OF TURNING PROGRAMS AROUND, AND HAS PROVEN HE CAN RUN A FBS PROGRAM

Please, tell me what part of this is so hard for you to understand.

Ok, you got me. I researched him more and changed my vote from Canales to Fran. I based everything on what he did with the Aggies but prior to that he was one heck of a coach it looks like.

I still don't think Canales should be cast off because of who his previous boss was though.