For Sale

MeanGreen61

Wouldn't it be wierd if they hired Canales.

I've actually thought about that. Canales wins at ULM some and other program could come along and pull the rug out from under us before the season ends. If not as a head coach, possibly as a coordinator at a high profile program. Still, I want to see how he performs and what decision our leaders make.

Edited by DeepGreen

I've actually thought about that. Canales wins at ULM some and other program could come along and pull the rug out from under us before the season ends. If not as a head coach, possibly as a coordinator at a high profile program. Still, I want to see how he performs and what decision our leaders make.

I think there will be plenty of suitors for Canales if he wins next weekend, and if hired elsewhere, dare I say many posters will be excited and say Canales never wanted to be here.

Damned if you do and Damned if don't

I think there will be plenty of suitors for Canales if he wins next weekend, and if hired elsewhere, dare I say many posters will be excited and say Canales never wanted to be here.

Damned if you do and Damned if don't

You have to be kidding Canales has done nothing big picture wise to get the attention of another school? Who would sell this guy to another school well he won a few games with at team at the bottom against some other bottom dwelling teams. There is something to get excited about from an outside prospective?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

You have to be kidding Canales has done nothing big picture wise to get the attention of another school? Who would sell this guy to another school well he won a few games with at team at the bottom against some other bottom dwelling teams. There is something to get excited about from an outside prospective?

25 years of experience with some big name coaches in successful programs would get the attention of others.

• Upvote 4

If Canales has received consideration for HC at other schools before, don't you think what is going on will significantly boost his chances? If he wins at ULM, he will lock up a winning record as HC at UNT, a feat that no coach has achieved since 2004. And he will have done it with an injury-depleted roster. And he will have done it against the toughest stretch of our schedule. Whether or not he gets the job here, he will have added significantly to what was already a pretty impressive resume.

• Upvote 2

Canales has made it pretty public that he wants to be the HC @ UNT, that is priority #1. But if you think people arent going to/or haven't already noticed what Canales has done at UNT, then you are very blind.

He took a team that hasnt won more than 2 games in 4 years to 2 WINS in just 3 Games!! With 15+ Injuries, Death on the Team, and the HC being fired.

With the most important position in all of Sports the Starting QB the son of the Fired Head Coach leading the huddles, and being very successful.

You really think that other people, including UNT officials haven't noticed that?

Trust me people have noticed.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Another thread hijacked into a coaching search thread . . . But I digress.

Canales may not have a lot of Texas HS ties, but consider what Leavitt has said about him:

"I wanted to really throw the ball, and he was very knowledgeable about the pass offense," Leavitt said. "He's a people person, a great recruiter."

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/12/30/Sports/Bowl_trip_hallmark_in.shtml

He took a team that hasnt won more than 2 games in 4 years to 2 WINS in just 3 Games!! With 15+ Injuries, Death on the Team, and the HC being fired.

How do you lose one with Death on the team? That's underachieving at its finest.

• Upvote 3

If Canales has received consideration for HC at other schools before, don't you think what is going on will significantly boost his chances? If he wins at ULM, he will lock up a winning record as HC at UNT, a feat that no coach has achieved since 2004. And he will have done it with an injury-depleted roster. And he will have done it against the toughest stretch of our schedule. Whether or not he gets the job here, he will have added significantly to what was already a pretty impressive resume.

Has he been considered or has he turned in his resume before and been turned down several times? You know I would have thought Auburn, Rice and Army was the toughest stretch. The Muts and Troy have not been what they were expected to be, and I was counting on a ULM win but I guess that would be impressive now.

I am not trying to kill him but you guys have to be kidding if you think he is a hot sales item now. After two years at Arizona he took a demotion, and he was such a hot item last year he had to come to UNT of a faltering coaching staff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Has he been considered or has he turned in his resume before and been turned down several times?

He interviewed at UTEP, and was being strongly considered before they ended up going with Mike Price. Nothing to be too ashamed of.

You know I would have thought Auburn, Rice and Army was the toughest stretch.

I assume you mean Clemson, not Auburn. But other than Clemson, we should have won the other two, or at least been competitive against Army. And comparing a 3-game stretch to a 5-game stretch is a little unusual, don't you think? I would say the 5-game stretch ending the season, the only one in which he is serving as HC, is the toughest of the season.

The Muts and Troy have not been what they were expected to be, and I was counting on a ULM win but I guess that would be impressive now.

Agreed. I would still call Troy the class of the Belt, but FIU may take away that title by the end of the season. I still would have to call this the toughest 5-game stretch of the season for UNT.

After two years at Arizona he took a demotion, and he was such a hot item last year he had to come to UNT of a faltering coaching staff.

Things did not go well for him at Arizona, and that's something to take into consideration, just like Coach Fran's tenure at A&M. I don't know of any candidates, or even potential candidates, who don't have a blemish somewhere on their record. Even Fulmer, whom we all acknowledge is out of UNT's reach, was canned for not producing like some thought he should have.

As for coming to UNT, that's a strange thing for a UNT alum to hold against him. Regardless, most coaching staffs were already in place when he learned that Skip Holtz was not going to retain him. He had other coaching offers, but he wanted to be an OC and he wanted to work with QBs. And, as some have suggested, it may be that he saw the possibility of an interim HC opportunity arising here.

I am not necessarily saying we should hire Canales. I never voted in the poll, and there are a few other candidates with whom I would be just as happy. But I don't understand how someone can look at what's happening with our team right now and say there's absolutely nothing there. There's definitely something, and I like it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Has he been considered or has he turned in his resume before and been turned down several times? You know I would have thought Auburn, Rice and Army was the toughest stretch. The Muts and Troy have not been what they were expected to be, and I was counting on a ULM win but I guess that would be impressive now.

I am not trying to kill him but you guys have to be kidding if you think he is a hot sales item now. After two years at Arizona he took a demotion, and he was such a hot item last year he had to come to UNT of a faltering coaching staff.

Would you like me to get a colander and remove the piss out of your wheaties.

Love how many can now denigrates the wins against a pre-season favorite and close loss to the class of the Belt. Who expected wins against MTSU this year or a close loss to Troy after all of the injuries? I assume you feel Dodge would have done exactly the same and gotten the same results? What else would you like Canales too do? Should be have beaten WKU by 50? Lose to Troy on a last second XP miss?

• Upvote 3

He interviewed at UTEP, and was being strongly considered before they ended up going with Mike Price. Nothing to be too ashamed of.

I assume you mean Clemson, not Auburn. But other than Clemson, we should have won the other two, or at least been competitive against Army. And comparing a 3-game stretch to a 5-game stretch is a little unusual, don't you think? I would say the 5-game stretch ending the season, the only one in which he is serving as HC, is the toughest of the season.

Agreed. I would still call Troy the class of the Belt, but FIU may take away that title by the end of the season. I still would have to call this the toughest 5-game stretch of the season for UNT.

Things did not go well for him at Arizona, and that's something to take into consideration, just like Coach Fran's tenure at A&M. I don't know of any candidates, or even potential candidates, who don't have a blemish somewhere on their record. Even Fulmer, whom we all acknowledge is out of UNT's reach, was canned for not producing like some thought he should have.

As for coming to UNT, that's a strange thing for a UNT alum to hold against him. Regardless, most coaching staffs were already in place when he learned that Skip Holtz was not going to retain him. He had other coaching offers, but he wanted to be an OC and he wanted to work with QBs. And, as some have suggested, it may be that he saw the possibility of an interim HC opportunity arising here.

I am not necessarily saying we should hire Canales. I never voted in the poll, and there are a few other candidates with whom I would be just as happy. But I don't understand how someone can look at what's happening with our team right now and say there's absolutely nothing there. There's definitely something, and I like it.

You are right I meant Clemson, sorry. I am not that blown away, I know other teams have rebounded lots of times when a head coach has been replaced mid season. I just want a fair search and the right guy, a couple of wins in the belt just doesn't do it for me period. Way too many people here are over impressed I think. I am glad we are winning though!

Would you like me to get a colander and remove the piss out of your wheaties.

Love how many can now denigrates the wins against a pre-season favorite and close loss to the class of the Belt. Who expected wins against MTSU this year or a close loss to Troy after all of the injuries? I assume you feel Dodge would have done exactly the same and gotten the same results? What else would you like Canales too do? Should be have beaten WKU by 50? Lose to Troy on a last second XP miss?

Really I have to stick with the favorites from the beginning of the season? I can't judge how the teams are doing now? I think it is likely that any decent coordinator would have the same results yes. I do understand that Dodge had lost the team. I don't care what Canales does he has done enough to get evaluated. But many are ready to hand him the keys like he is the best thing since sliced bread and I don't see it that way.

Canales has made it pretty public that he wants to be the HC @ UNT, that is priority #1. But if you think people arent going to/or haven't already noticed what Canales has done at UNT, then you are very blind.

With the most important position in all of Sports the Starting QB the son of the Fired Head Coach leading the huddles, and being very successful.

You really think that other people, including UNT officials haven't noticed that?

If you want to market your father fine, who has noticed outside of Denton?

• Downvote 3

You are quick to give him all the credit for beating two bottom of the barrel teams, so if UNT loses this weekend will it be his fault?