Pc Strikes College Sports Again

DeepGreen

Looks like the Fighting Sioux nickname of Univ. of North Dakota will have to change.

Fighting Sioux

Where the hell does the NCAA have the right to sue a member institution, this should be a Sioux Indian Tribe issue, not a college sports issue. F the NCAA. Of course FSU gets to keep their mascot, but god forbid one of the poor kids get to keep theirs.

I am offended by Fighting Irish, will the NCAA idiots go after of one their golden children?

• Upvote 2

Where the hell does the NCAA have the right to sue a member institution, this should be a Sioux Indian Tribe issue, not a college sports issue. F the NCAA. Of course FSU gets to keep their mascot, but god forbid one of the poor kids get to keep theirs.

I am offended by Fighting Irish, will the NCAA idiots go after of one their golden children?

You are right about the Fightin' Irish. Very offensive. They should be the McLovins.

Looks like the Fighting Sioux nickname of Univ. of North Dakota will have to change.

This is one of my all-time pet peeves...

The name has been Fighting Sioux for God knows how long and now they are being SUED to change it... NOT by the offended populace, but by a college sports association...

Ridiculous...

UND is probably lucky I am not their chancellor...

I would have told the NCAA to blow it out their a**...

Yes, it is PC BS, but NDS got the same mandate as FSU was given. Get the tribes on board and you can keep your mascot. FSU was able to do this, NDS could only get 1 of the 2 tribes on board, so they lost their mascot. No special priviledges were give to Florida St.

Florida gets to keep their mascot because they have the approval of the Seminole tribe. I understand changing a negative name like "redskin" or "savages" (one of the directional Oklahoma schools), but "fighting" is a pretty close call. My wife has read extensively about the plains indian tribes. And while they weren't "fighting" all the time, it was certainly an essential part of thier exsistence.

Since most plains indian tribes had a warrior clan, maybe "Sioux Warriors" might have been more palatable to the one tribe that objected.

Isn't it great how the NCAA is taking such a stand for sensitivity. Of course, Fla St., Utah, Illinois and those like them should't have to follow the rules. We have to make sure that they get to keep all of their traditions because they're more important than some Dakota school.

Vomit.

Illinois has already been forced to give up their Indian mascot.

Florida gets to keep their mascot because they have the approval of the Seminole tribe.

Without really knowing for sure, I am willing to bet FSU has the support of the Seminole tribe because it is very beneficial to the tribe to stay on the good side of a large public institution such as FSU...

I have some knowledge of the Seminole tribe in another area and one thing I know is they are savvy business people...

What does NDU have to offer the Sioux...??

Apparently not enough...

My late brother in law was half Sioux Indian. Asked him once what he thought about all this and he said: "Well, it still sort of honors Indians with a school choosing an Indian mascot." I agreed with him.

My Mexican girlfriend has some Indian blood in her too and I asked her the same: "Well, I don't really care one way or the other." She's a librarian in the Fort Worth Public Library system. :)

I think Mean Green is offensive and should be changed because it gives such a negative connotation to the color green. Green is the symbol of all that is good...Money is green, green means go, grass is green and the emerald green waters off the north coast of the Yucatan of Mexico is a sight to behold.

Mean Green simply sends the wrong message and should be changed.

Edited by MizzouTigers
  • Upvote 1

According to the University of Illinois they are the Fighting Illini, not sure the stance of the Illini tribe. As for the Seminoles, I seem to recall FSU asking permission from two branches of the Seminoles and only one gave it. Not sure why this case can't be the same.

I believe the seminole tribes in Florisa gave Florida State permission to continue use the name. I sure there was something in it for the tribes. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

According to the University of Illinois they are the Fighting Illini, not sure the stance of the Illini tribe. As for the Seminoles, I seem to recall FSU asking permission from two branches of the Seminoles and only one gave it. Not sure why this case can't be the same.

http://www.uillinois.edu/trustees/NCAA%20Appeal/ncaa%20statement%2011-11-05_final.pdf

The NCAA’s decision on the names “Illini” and “Fighting Illini,” based upon the information provided by the University and on the NCAA’s own research and discussions with Native American groups, concurred with the University’s position that the term “Illini” is closely related to the name of the state and is not directly associated with Native Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Illiniwek

Some have incorrectly linked Chief Illiniwek with the nickname Fighting Illini. Though many assume that both are based on Illinois' American Indian traditions, the name "Illini" was first associated with the school by the student newspaper, which changed its name to The Illini in the late 19th century. (The paper is now called The Daily Illini.) The addition of the adjective "fighting" originated about five years before the appearance of Chief Illiniwek as a tribute to Illinois soldiers killed in World War I.

Appears that I have to soften my stance on FSU. I was remembering statements out of the Oklahoma Seminoles being opposed to it. Some individuals did, but the tribe itself took no position on it. More recently they voted to not oppose Native American imagery in sports.

I still think it should be all or nothing, it's the apparant double standard that bugs me. Especially since they're proven head mascots that can recruit in Texas. . .