Strong Words From Canales After Game

Guest MeanGreenHomer

So 71 recruits at the Troy game is not an indication if he can recruit? I would also say he has one three games given the fact he was given the most credit for the win against FAU, even by Dodge. I can't believe a guy is being blasted for wanting a job and especially THIS job. And the insenuation that folks who are leaning his way just are not as smart as say the ones that want Leavitt is uncalled for.

71? Really? I doubt very seriously that we had 71 recruits at one game. Besides when this first hit the board it was 60, which I highly doubt it correct either.

But yet so many are ready to hand him the reigns after 3 games. Can he recruit? Doesn't matter, he won 2 games. His plan to build the program? Doesn't matter, he won 2 games. Can he develop and refine raw talent? Doesn't matter, he won 2 games.

I hope that the people conducting this search are way smarter than the win-starved fans on this board and hire the best candidate out there for this position. I fear they aren't.

Yip, two wins over teams with a COMBINED record of 5-14. That is enough for a 5 year contract.

Maybe, just maybe Canalas looks so good now, because we have simply been so bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would LOVE that. IF we can get both Canales AND Leavitt, I say we will be near the top 25 in 2, maybe 3 years. Not only would we become a power in the conference again, I am confident we would compete against some large programs in OOC play.

Has there ever been a team from the Sun Belt crack the Top 25? 2 years?

I would LOVE that. IF we can get both Canales AND Leavitt, I say we will be near the top 25 in 2, maybe 3 years. Not only would we become a power in the conference again, I am confident we would compete against some large programs in OOC play.

please , just please stop it with top 25 talk

Yes....but....anyone who can take so bad and make it better is worthy of strong consideration.

Or, the team was horribly underacheiving under a bad head coach, and any competent college coach was bound to bring improvement.

Oh, the Cowboys lead the 6-2 Giants in NY in the 2nd quarter. See the similarities?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Or, the team was horribly underacheiving under a bad head coach, and any competent college coach was bound to bring improvement.

Oh, the Cowboys lead the 6-2 Giants in NY in the 2nd quarter. See the similarities?

Giants may win this game, but this Cowboy team looks miles ahead of where it was last week.

The 71 some odd kids in letter jackets were not all recruits. There was some high school event that was scheduled for that day, not sure what it was, but there was a tent set up out north of Fouts for it. Several of them sitting down in front of us were not even big enough, in my opinion, to play varsity high school much less be d1 college talent.

Second, just because people are hoping that NT gives everyone who wants this job equal consideration does mean they dislike coach Canales.

Third, I have a question for Coach Canales for the next person who interviews him to ask. If your rewarded the head coaching job will you extend a hand to your friend Jim Leavitt to be your defensive coordinator? After all, he did the same for you TWICE when you needed a job. He now needs one and needs a second chance to repair his reputation. Seems like a match made in heaven on paper and would be a fantastic gesture between friends. What do you say Coach C?

Rick

Rick, at the coach's show last week, both George and Coach Canales alluded to the fact that a presentation was made to 71 recruits and parents in the meeting room under the east stands. It had nothing to do with UNT Preview event.

Giants may win this game, but this Cowboy team looks miles ahead of where it was last week.

16-3 Cows.

I guess this means Jason Garrett should be given a 5 year contract. After all, he is doing it, while Cower and Gruden haven't coached in a couple of years and may not have the fire. :rolleyes:

Don't forget that Colorado blew a decent Iowa St. team out this weekend, one week after firing Hawkins.

This happens when you end a really bad situation - at every level. Sure, you CONSIDER what Canales has done here this season. But it's a small part of the large puzzle the powers that be have to put together.

Don't forget that Colorado blew a decent Iowa St. team out this weekend, one week after firing Hawkins.

This happens when you end a really bad situation - at every level. Sure, you CONSIDER what Canales has done here this season. But it's a small part of the large puzzle the powers that be have to put together.

Here's one more. After canning Tim Brewster, Minnesota ended a 9-game losing streak yesterday by winning at Illinois.

Edited by SleepingGiantsFan

Rick, at the coach's show last week, both George and Coach Canales alluded to the fact that a presentation was made to 71 recruits and parents in the meeting room under the east stands. It had nothing to do with UNT Preview event.

I understand that but I think George and coach C are mistaken? if they are calling those countless skinny, 5 foot +, 160 lb whatevers D 1 recruits then we are in worse shape than I thought? Several of our letterman asked if they were also while at the game and were told no? So who knows?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Here's one more. After canning Tim Brewster, Minnesota ended a 9-game losing streak yesterday by winning at Illinois.

(Based on all these examples, you kinda hafta wonder how much attention some UNT fans actually pay to football generally.)

Your probably right but they are our fans and will learn as time goes by. They don't need an outsider telling them so. And by the way, no disrespect but I'm sick to death reading about San Diego State. I don't give a rats ass about it and until we either play them or I have to read about TCU making them their bitch again on the front page of the Star Telegram I don't really care to read about them again!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 3

Your probably right but they are our fans and will learn as time goes by. They don't need an outsider telling them so. And by the way, no disrespect but I'm sick to death reading about San Diego State. I don't give a rats ass about it and until we either play them or I have to read about TCU making them their bitch again on the front page of the Star Telegram I don't really care to read about them again!

Rick

Sorry for the criticism. As you'll note, I deleted it just as you were posting the above. Agreed that it's inappropriate for a visitor to be saying such things.

In hindsight, I can also understand your feelings about all the SDSU stuff. I've never registered on anybody else's board before and am just kinda feeling my way around here.

• Upvote 2

The 71 some odd kids in letter jackets were not all recruits. There was some high school event that was scheduled for that day, not sure what it was, but there was a tent set up out north of Fouts for it. Several of them sitting down in front of us were not even big enough, in my opinion, to play varsity high school much less be d1 college talent.

I'll add on to this by saying that I was walking to my seats and ran into a group of about 15 - 20 of these kids (all in gray sweatshirts with "El Paso ..." (I didn't catch the school name). I think a large group of players from 1 school came out and maybe 1 or 2 of them would be around D-1 size.

I'll add on to this by saying that I was walking to my seats and ran into a group of about 15 - 20 of these kids (all in gray sweatshirts with "El Paso ..." (I didn't catch the school name). I think a large group of players from 1 school came out and maybe 1 or 2 of them would be around D-1 size.

Very interesting I heard the same thing from others.

Quantity alone means nothing its all about quality, it sounds very gimmicky, I wonder if any of the 71 would even rate an offer to a D1a school?

• Upvote 1

I saw 1 guy that was D1 size and he could barely make it up the stairs. good grief. These so called 71 recruits were not

d1 quality

Edited by UNTBill

Has there ever been a team from the Sun Belt crack the Top 25? 2 years?

I don't think so, and I am in no way saying it would be a gaurantee. What I am saying is that if we have both of them combining their eperience of what they did at USF, if we start recruiting well, if we run the table in the belt, keep the bodybag games close going into the 3rd or 4th, and solidly beat the mid major teams, I think we could be in the 30-40 range ranking wise in a couple of years.