Unt Cracks Top 25 in next few years?

football fan

There is only one team in the Sunbelt that has an overall winning record and a Canales lead team lost to them by 6 points and was in a position to win until the end. That WKU team we rolled just beat Ark. St. which happens to be one of the better teams in the Conference. MTSU has not had the season they wanted but they were a preseason favorite and are as loaded as anyone in the Belt. What's more is this team is so plagued with injuries that I am surprised they could hang with anyone much less win.

All of this might not seem special to many on this board but it has my attention in a big way. If we beat LA Monroe I think Canales deserves the job.

On a side note. Those of you that said you would leave if Canales is hired. Be sure to follow through on that. I will be here regardless and will be happy to help cover the lost donations.

So candidate list be damned Canales is good enough for you? Just amazing.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

So candidate list be damned Canales is good enough for you? Just amazing.

In light of that $78,000,000 investment, word (still) is that UNT is conducting a national (and extensive) search (and I think consultant Chuck Neinas is the lead horse on that for now since he's being paid nicely).

The link from the DRC in my signature below is a most interesting Denton Record/Chronicle article on this search (and other various assundry things as well).

With this hire, the stakes are so much higher than (perhaps) any we've had in modern times and it is that new stadium which dramatically elevated those stakes.

If we were still going to be at Fouts for another few years, I think it would just be another business as usual hire at UNT--but we play our last game ever at Fouts Field on Nov. 27'th versus the Kansas State Wildcats and we should all thank the football gods above. :D

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

We are not going to compete with K-State. Period. I don't care who the coach is, we do not have that kind of talent. Whether or not we can be a future top 25 team is not only going to take great practice week and game day coaching--which we have certainly seen from Coach Canales--it is going to take great recruiting.

Never said we'd win, a scare doesn't necessarily mean a closer game in the 4th quarter. I bet the Clemson locker room @ halftime wasn't feeling as confident as they were in the locker room @ the beginning of the game. All I'm sayin'

Guest MeanGreenHomer

It would be great to get into the top 25, but let's focus on one thing at a time, like find a permanent head coach. Not saying Canales isn't a strong candidate, because he is, but before we get into the top 25 we need to win the Sun Belt. After our program is giving a permanent direction and we find ourselves atop the Belt again, then we can think about top 25. I like the enthusiasm though.

Kinda' like the mighty UNT team that pissed the game away at home to not so mighty FIU? Just sayin'

fiu is the best team in the belt as far as i'm concerned. troy got rolled by a team that we nearly beat and fiu gave it to them today as well...they're not as good as they have been the last couple of years and niether is mtsu.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

Under Coach C, this may be a reality within 3 years!!!! Believe it people!! We have a diamond in the rough in our very own hands as we speak!! I sure hope we don't blindly give him away. Any believers out there?!!

I think at the very least Canales deserves a full season to show what he can do. I think he has earned that. 2-1 is lightyears ahead of where this program has been the past few years. I think next weekend we beat Monroe, and have our first back to back wins in years.

I think at the very least Canales deserves a full season to show what he can do. I think he has earned that. 2-1 is lightyears ahead of where this program has been the past few years. I think next weekend we beat Monroe, and have our first back to back wins in years.

You can't give a guy a 1 year contract to be head coach. Five is the baseline and seven is quite common. A coach with less than a 5 year contract is going to find it nearly impossible to recruit. As the opposing coaches will say, "Son, how can you put your faith in a man his own school doesn't trust to give him a standard contract."

This does NOT mean I'm saying hire Canales now. I'm just saying whomever we hire should start with a five year contract. If we have that little faith in him, we need to find another candidate.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 1

Yep. As long as Chuck Nienas, Lane Rawlins and RV agree then I will too.

Rick

Well put rick. I think that sums up my feelings as well. I love the guy. I just hope that the three you mentioned feel the same way. If they don't and they hire someone else, I'M FINE WITH THAT TOO. Just to be clear.

You can't give a guy a 1 year contract to be head coach. Five is the baseline and seven is quite common. A coach with less than a 5 year contract is going to find it nearly impossible to recruit. As the opposing coaches will say, "Son, how can you put your faith in a man his own school doesn't trust to give him a standard contract."

This does NOT mean I'm saying hire Canales now. I'm just saying whomever we hire should start with a five year contract. If we have that little faith in him, we need to find another candidate.

I think we will be able to get away with a 2 or 3 year contract with Canales. He's already here and as we can see he desperately wants this job. If we give him 2 years after this season of guaranteed money and up his salary significantly he wouldn't say no. I don't think we are screwing him but I think the message we would send that look we believe in you but you have to produce. If he can't produce after 2 seasons then we can go different ways.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think we will be able to get away with a 2 or 3 year contract with Canales. He's already here and as we can see he desperately wants this job. If we give him 2 years after this season of guaranteed money and up his salary significantly he wouldn't say no. I don't think we are screwing him but I think the message we would send that look we believe in you but you have to produce. If he can't produce after 2 seasons then we can go different ways.

First, where do you get "desperate?" The guy has taken a team with horrendous injuries and turned them completely around. He wants to stay here, but the last three games are going to get him interviews at a LOT of places if you don't take him.

Secondly, "we believe in you, but not enough to give the standard minimum contract. Oh, and we're going to make you rent an office as well."

Name a FBS school that hires a new head coach with a 2 year contract? If you can name one, did they get 7 wins in either of those two years and more importantly, how did they do in the next 5 after that?

First, where do you get "desperate?" The guy has taken a team with horrendous injuries and turned them completely around. He wants to stay here, but the last three games are going to get him interviews at a LOT of places if you don't take him.

Secondly, "we believe in you, but not enough to give the standard minimum contract. Oh, and we're going to make you rent an office as well."

Name a FBS school that hires a new head coach with a 2 year contract? If you can name one, did they get 7 wins in either of those two years and more importantly, how did they do in the next 5 after that?

Just because everybody else is giving 5 year contracts it doesn't mean we have too in this case. Remember who we gave a 5 year contract too last time....it is too big of a risk. He is already here so the situation is a little different. I don't forsee him getting interviews for HC jobs after this season. He will for OC jobs but not HC jobs.

Maybe there hasn't been an FBS school that has given a 2 year contract but Ithere have probably been plenty of them who fired their coach after 2 or 3 years and had more money left to pay the guy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think with the right coach and some strong recruiting, we could start to sniff the top 25 in a few years.

if memory serves, we were ranked in mid 60 range once during dd's reign. big leap from a have not to a have, but by the end of this decade we might make it. of course, i'll probably be dead by then,but what the hey. if coach chico beats la. monroe, hard not to say he earned the job.

if memory serves, we were ranked in mid 60 range once during dd's reign. big leap from a have not to a have, but by the end of this decade we might make it. of course, i'll probably be dead by then,but what the hey. if coach chico beats la. monroe, hard not to say he earned the job.

I think you're right. And being in the mid '60's range was with a boring offense, not winning OOC, and being embarrased against major D-1 programs. If you install a good offense (not necessarily an all passing one) solid defense, run the table in conference, solidly beat mid major OOC teams, and compete with the major programs, I think we can go higher.